1996 Ford Contour Consumer Review: Great car, excellent value!

1996 Ford Contour - Consumer Review

Great car, excellent value!
By cobraal on

1996 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Our 1996 Contour SE Sport, bought in 1998 with 28K miles, was my wife's car until 6 months ago. She now has a new Mazda Tribute and I get to drive the Contour everyday, which I love! This car is FUN TO DRIVE! It's 'tight', handles and brakes great and the exhaust note makes you think you are going faster than you are. If it had the 5-speed trans (wife can't drive a stick), I would replace the front seats, add 17 wheels/tires, add 30-40 hp, and I would keep it until the wheels fell off.

FUN TO DRIVE!! Handling and brakes are great; V-6 exhaust note; sporty steering wheel; looks good in black, solid construction (feels as tight as the day we bought it). Excellent value even when loaded with leather, sunroof, etc. Good size trunk and mpg.

Front seats need to be more supportive, more rearseat room, better cupholders and stereo, needs sunvisor extensions and auto climate control option. Replace plastic waterpump propeller.