Used 1996 Ford Contour Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Contour Sedan

View reviews for a specific Contour model:

Time to move on
By kitties6

1996 Ford Contour Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

As a commuter car (500+miles per week) my contour has held up well. I have had problems with the sensors (too many to note), transmission (111,000), air conditioner, and wheel bearings (70,000 and 120,000). At 145000 miles I never thought it would last this long.

Favorite Features

I love the fact that this car is easy to parallel park, and can get 340 highway miles on one tank of gas.

Great Value
By John Snider

1996 Ford Contour Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This has beren a great vehicle! The only major repairs have bee replacing the timing belt at 90,000 miles and the front wheel bearings at 102,000 miles. The car holds the road great and still has good acceleration. It has been paid off for a few years now and is still running fine.

Might want to steer clear of this one...
By Wig7

1996 Ford Contour Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 80k on it and it was good for a while. Tranny is very problematic as are sensors. Replaced water pump and serpentine belt. Front bearings and alternator twice. Ford transmissions seem very crappy. Vehicle always stalls at stop lights, even in neutral. Might want to try something another car.

Favorite Features

Roomy and comfortable. AC and cruise were nice until they went. Gas mileage good.

Suggested Improvements

MUCH better transmission, more reliable suspension parts.

Weird Stuff Breaks on this Car
By scwallac

1996 Ford Contour Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I love the design of the Contour. The outside is nice to look at, and the interior controls are very well placed, with excellent ergonomics. HOWEVER....all *kinds* of weird stuff breaks on this car that shouldn't. Examples: Coil springs(!), front wheel bearings(!), timing belt clatters terribly, headlights-on warning chime, heat only works in defrost position, rubber weatherstrips fly off, transmission went after 125k miles, AC doesn't hold charge etc, etc... You can read all about these flaws in the Ford "TSB - Technical Service Bulletins". If you buy this car, make sure to buy the service manual and technical service bulletins - you'll need them!

Favorite Features

Great interior ergonomic design, nice exterior styling, body and interior held up extremely well in wintry climate of upstate New York.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission should not blow out at 125k miles! Ford transmissions have a reputation for doing this!

GREAT Car
By EXCLNT CAR

1996 Ford Contour Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I love my 96 Ford Contour. This car has been nothing but reliable. I have over 108,000 and other than minor repairs I have had to do nothing to keep my car running smoothly. If it were a little bigger I would keep it forever.

Favorite Features

Great color (blue/green), large trunk, good gas mileage, great cup holders, very comfortable on long trips, great value for money

Suggested Improvements

Bring contour back!! I wish there was a little more room in back seat, I wish the trunk lever would work from the driver's side all of the time instead of only occassionally, the wiring was a little bit of an issue at 100,000 but nothing major