1996 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
I miss my contour
By ButterCup41 on 07/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

This is a fun car to drive. I have not really had any major problems with it, just a few recalls that had to be taken care of (headlight connector and heating switch or something like that.) I have the 4 cyl engine and it still has kick after 7 years, just make sure you keep up the maintanance. It is in the shop now getting the timing belt replaced, can't wait to get it back :-)

96 contour
By ptemplin7 on 07/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

To many repairs plus the dealership is as bad as they come. Way to many warrenty repairs. Selling tires and others had to be replaced only 30K miles in. As someone once rated this this is a poor quality car. Hopefully they have corrected in later models.

So Far So Good
By Timinana on 06/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

No major problems to this point. Fun to drive with 5 speed. Gas milage great! Not so good in the snow! Great front buckets, I wish I had them in my Mustang! One and only problem, no tilt wheel. I love this car.

Worth the Money
By BobMac on 05/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

I think that if Ford stuck with this car for as long as Japanese Co. usaully do, then they would have a winner. It takes time to work out gremlins. If the driver follows the owner manual checkups and replaces the timing belt at 60,000, then you may get a good car for the money. Before you buy: check heater switch, battery life, AC life, headlight connectors.

Fun car as long as it's running
By Charles Derdiarian on 03/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for two years now and have thoroughly enjoyed it's handling and power. The V6 provides strong accelaration despite its low horsepower rating. The build quality and car's reliability is terrible, though. I have gone through 3 water pumps in the last year ($250-400/pump). My first blown pump almost cost me my engine, as there is no temperature warning light and blown pumps often don't trip the coolant warning light. I have also had frozen valves ($400), gone through 3 catalytic converters (luckily covered by CA emissions), and a busted dimmer switch that shorted out my dash ($150). I will never buy another Ford.

Why not improve the this car?
By GEE on 03/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I wish Ford would continued to build and improve this vehicle. Anyway, the transmission failed at 123,000 and I had it rebuilt at Cottman. Coming home from work, the transmission again failed at 209,000. I wasn't expecting the transmission to fail again. I decided to use Slick-50 transmission lubricant. Some people have warned me about using additives for the transmission. Anyway, none of the forward gears are working. I am considering replacing it with another CD4E transmission because I love the car so much. I have also replaced the timing belt and radiator.

STAY AWAY
By ShiltZone on 02/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

I had a lot of problems with the car after 60,000 miles. Around 70,000 to 80,000 most people who own this model will need to get a new transmission. The check engine light now around 90,000 is constantly on. I am about to get rid of it and I don't even want to sell it to anyone, I am trading it in for a Honda Civic.

Black Beauty
By My Black Beauty on 01/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

One of the best cars ever! I love it, but very cold weather starts are a bit of a challenge. Styling is phenominal, plus the five speed V6 is very potent. This is my first manual, so learning wasn't too tricky.

My Contour
By tjimler on 09/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car several months ago and have enjoyed it immensely. It has had no serious problems, just regular maintenance. It is a joy to drive and I get a lot of comments on how nice it looks. The 5-speed takes a little getting used to, but makes the ride much more enjoyable than an auto. Overall I would give this car 5 stars for a cheap, fun, good looking ride.

Couldn't Wait to Get Rid of It
By JoyP on 09/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I had a lot of problems with the car. The first day I owned it the check engine light went on, that should have been a sign that the car was a piece of junk. By the time I got rid of it I didn't even want to sell it to anyone, I traded it in to the dealer so they could deal with it.