Used 1996 Ford Contour Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Contour

View reviews for a specific Contour model:

You may not believe this one!
By the looker

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

First I will list the problems I have had with this vehicle, which I'm sure is no suprise to you the readers. Engine stalls cold. Battery discharges after a couple of days. Window fell of track (drivers side). Engine Idle RPM varies while stopped in traffic. Overheating came because Ford had used a plastic not metal impeller for the water pump. The whole engine wiring had to be replaced because it was falling apart (the plastic insulation). Fan not working light comes on despite you actually seeing the fans working. Now brake pedal is intermittently hard to push during stop. Happens without warning. Now for the interesting part..This vehicle of my original ownership only has 17780. Presently

Suggested Improvements

There are no suggestions other than I wish I could get my money back..

piece 'o junk
By Gene P.

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

No wonder Ford is on the verge of bankruptcy. I have never owned a car so unreliable as this in my life. My daughter got rid of it for a Corolla as she was always having it repaired. Wheel bearings every 50k miles? I only bought it as the body had no rust and have regrets. Transmission torque converter, rear struts, a/c compressor, yellowed headlight lenses, wheel bearings, etc. Back to Honda / Toyota for me.

Favorite Features

durable sheet metal(minimal rust for PA winters)

Suggested Improvements

It was discontinued after four years as no one bought it - enough said!

Gets Better with Age
By Annelise

1996 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

My Contour hit 200,000 miles last night! I've got the V6 5-speed. Though I had problems with it early on--water pumps, numerous recalls and that darn engine light that won't go off--it's been great for the last 120,000 miles. I love the way it handles and it still has plenty of power. I'm curious to see how long it will last!

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is its stability. I don't have to slow down when taking bends in the road. It's almost as much fun as my motorcycle.

Suggested Improvements

Getting in and out of the back seat is wicked, but I don't have many passengers.

Good first car
By jvhofw24

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Overall, the car drives well. It has the right amount of zip when you need it, and I found it to be pretty reliable. I owned the car for almost six years, and up until a couple months ago, I only had relatively minor problems with it. (i.e. brake rotors, 1 alternator, 1 battery, and a window motor) I put about 90,000 miles on it while I owned it, I drove it all around the country, and it got me everywhere I needed to be. At about 160,000 miles, the car sort of began to fall apart, but I guess that what happens when you drive a Ford. I still feel I got my money's worth.

Favorite Features

It drives smoothly, it's easy to drive, and it has good acoustics if you put a decent stereo in there.

Suggested Improvements

Built with a lot of cheap parts. And lacks power in certain situations when you need it. It seems like buying one is sort of a gamble. It might work very well for many years, or it might not.

Eleven Year Ownership.
By D.Adams Contour LX

1996 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

This car has been one of the most reliable and economical I have owned, especially after 11 years of mostly city driving in San Antonio,Texas.

Favorite Features

The extra features of the LX model and its pleasant interior.

Suggested Improvements

Seat adjustments for drivers of small stature could be improved. I have had to use extra cushions in the driver's seat.