1996 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
Mary's review
By Mary dore on 08/27/05 16:48 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

This car fails to meet normal wear and tear, it starts at about 5 years old. First the engine check light come on and no can fix, except for 250 dollars, then they can turn it off. Next, continual problems with the wheel, axles, bearing, alternator assembly; replaced alternator, water heater, timing chain, and last but not least the transmission is shot -- every time I turned something was wrong with this vehicle. What a piece of junk, I will never buy anything again that says Ford or Mazda since my car has a Mazda transmission in it. Need to have over head light in the middle of the car you can't see in the back seat when it's dark.

1996 Contour
By Andy Briggs on 05/06/05 07:01 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Bought from my father who owned it since new. This car has had multiple maintenance related problems. By 85,000 miles, replaced alternator (which is difficult to access for remove and replace and very expensive), heater blower motor, heater resistor pack, and both wheel hub bearings. I have a continuing problem, yet unsolved, of the radiator fan not turning on when the temperature gauge reads high unless the a/c is on. Check engine light comes on intermittently with an "EGR flow excessive" code read-out. This seems to be too many problems for a car that has had regular maintenance and mostly highway miles. For those reasons, I do not recommend buying, even though it drives well.

Great Car
By robertn78 on 02/03/05 05:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

This car is very fun to drive. It handles great and has a lot of power with a small 2.5L V6. I have a SE model which in my opinion looks better and it handles better due to different sway bars and shock valving. No problems with this car, just regular maintenance.

My Contour
By dvargas on 09/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I've had no major problems with the engine or performance in the last 8 years. The only recurring problems were with the body parts such as plastic interior items breaking including gear shifter, mechanical window repairs on 4 occasions, etc. Overall I have been very happy with my purchase. A very economical vehicle.

Steer Clear
By odie561 on 09/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Steer clear of this Ford contraption. It was nothing but trouble since we bought it. We had to replace two alternators, a power steering pump, and would have had to replace a transmission if we had kept it about 5 minutes more.

Time to move on
By kitties6 on 08/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

As a commuter car (500+miles per week) my contour has held up well. I have had problems with the sensors (too many to note), transmission (111,000), air conditioner, and wheel bearings (70,000 and 120,000). At 145000 miles I never thought it would last this long.

Great Value
By John Snider on 06/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

This has beren a great vehicle! The only major repairs have bee replacing the timing belt at 90,000 miles and the front wheel bearings at 102,000 miles. The car holds the road great and still has good acceleration. It has been paid off for a few years now and is still running fine.

Might want to steer clear of this one...
By Wig7 on 04/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 80k on it and it was good for a while. Tranny is very problematic as are sensors. Replaced water pump and serpentine belt. Front bearings and alternator twice. Ford transmissions seem very crappy. Vehicle always stalls at stop lights, even in neutral. Might want to try something another car.

Weird Stuff Breaks on this Car
By scwallac on 04/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I love the design of the Contour. The outside is nice to look at, and the interior controls are very well placed, with excellent ergonomics. HOWEVER....all *kinds* of weird stuff breaks on this car that shouldn't. Examples: Coil springs(!), front wheel bearings(!), timing belt clatters terribly, headlights-on warning chime, heat only works in defrost position, rubber weatherstrips fly off, transmission went after 125k miles, AC doesn't hold charge etc, etc... You can read all about these flaws in the Ford "TSB - Technical Service Bulletins". If you buy this car, make sure to buy the service manual and technical service bulletins - you'll need them!

GREAT Car
By EXCLNT CAR on 04/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I love my 96 Ford Contour. This car has been nothing but reliable. I have over 108,000 and other than minor repairs I have had to do nothing to keep my car running smoothly. If it were a little bigger I would keep it forever.