1996 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
Good Old Car
By J.Low on 07/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Well,I've owned this contour v6 for over a year and so far haven't had any major repairs ,just some negligible minor flaws,trunk release cable snapped,thus solely use keyless entry to operate,oil pan gasket shows minor leaks and power steering fluid line also minorly leaks.Aside from above it's fun to drive and reliable .Conclusion pros:well executed interior design and materials other than plastic on dashboard,brake and steering feels,light clutch,close gear ratio,acceleration at highway speed,4 discs,roadholding personality cons:too stiff ride,fit and finish,rattles and sqeaks,torque steer,road noise,low end grunt,rear legroom

96 contour
By ptemplin7 on 07/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

To many repairs plus the dealership is as bad as they come. Way to many warrenty repairs. Selling tires and others had to be replaced only 30K miles in. As someone once rated this this is a poor quality car. Hopefully they have corrected in later models.

Fun car as long as it's running
By Charles Derdiarian on 03/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for two years now and have thoroughly enjoyed it's handling and power. The V6 provides strong accelaration despite its low horsepower rating. The build quality and car's reliability is terrible, though. I have gone through 3 water pumps in the last year ($250-400/pump). My first blown pump almost cost me my engine, as there is no temperature warning light and blown pumps often don't trip the coolant warning light. I have also had frozen valves ($400), gone through 3 catalytic converters (luckily covered by CA emissions), and a busted dimmer switch that shorted out my dash ($150). I will never buy another Ford.

Black Beauty
By My Black Beauty on 01/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

One of the best cars ever! I love it, but very cold weather starts are a bit of a challenge. Styling is phenominal, plus the five speed V6 is very potent. This is my first manual, so learning wasn't too tricky.

My Contour
By tjimler on 09/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car several months ago and have enjoyed it immensely. It has had no serious problems, just regular maintenance. It is a joy to drive and I get a lot of comments on how nice it looks. The 5-speed takes a little getting used to, but makes the ride much more enjoyable than an auto. Overall I would give this car 5 stars for a cheap, fun, good looking ride.

Couldn't Wait to Get Rid of It
By JoyP on 09/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I had a lot of problems with the car. The first day I owned it the check engine light went on, that should have been a sign that the car was a piece of junk. By the time I got rid of it I didn't even want to sell it to anyone, I traded it in to the dealer so they could deal with it.

Worst car I ever owned
By veryunhappy on 07/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

This vehicle has had too many problems to mention. It has had the electrical system replaced twice. All the A/C vents inside are broken. All the cup holders are too flimsy. The A/C fan components have been replaced at least once.

Great car, excellent value!
By cobraal on 05/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Our 1996 Contour SE Sport, bought in 1998 with 28K miles, was my wife's car until 6 months ago. She now has a new Mazda Tribute and I get to drive the Contour everyday, which I love! This car is FUN TO DRIVE! It's 'tight', handles and brakes great and the exhaust note makes you think you are going faster than you are. If it had the 5-speed trans (wife can't drive a stick), I would replace the front seats, add 17 wheels/tires, add 30-40 hp, and I would keep it until the wheels fell off.

I got a good one
By CaliSE on 03/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Contour SE MTX w/80,000 mi. The car has been great fun, I have been pleased with the reliability. The car has had 5 dealer visits in 6 years wor recalls or non-warranty repairs. It gets 27 mpg on the highway. I found the OEM Firestone Firehawks sub-standard in every possible way and replaced them with Dunlop SP4000s and have been very happy.