1996 Ford Contour Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
Eleven Year Ownership.
By D.Adams Contour LX on 04/03/07 14:06 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This car has been one of the most reliable and economical I have owned, especially after 11 years of mostly city driving in San Antonio,Texas.

Great Value
By John Snider on 06/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This has beren a great vehicle! The only major repairs have bee replacing the timing belt at 90,000 miles and the front wheel bearings at 102,000 miles. The car holds the road great and still has good acceleration. It has been paid off for a few years now and is still running fine.

Excellent value
By NMRN on 04/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought it 4 years ago from owner.. Been a Ford expected a lot of issue. So far only one minor issue. Front power window actuator broke. Wish I had the larger engine, but even with the 2L (Shift stick) it is fun to drive. For what I paid for it, It was plesent surprise, especialy performence and handling, but alos reliability.

Hardly a problem
By Daveeeee on 11/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Contour Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This car gets about 25 or 26 mpg and has been very reliable.

Worth the Money
By BobMac on 05/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I think that if Ford stuck with this car for as long as Japanese Co. usaully do, then they would have a winner. It takes time to work out gremlins. If the driver follows the owner manual checkups and replaces the timing belt at 60,000, then you may get a good car for the money. Before you buy: check heater switch, battery life, AC life, headlight connectors.

STAY AWAY
By ShiltZone on 02/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Contour Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I had a lot of problems with the car after 60,000 miles. Around 70,000 to 80,000 most people who own this model will need to get a new transmission. The check engine light now around 90,000 is constantly on. I am about to get rid of it and I don't even want to sell it to anyone, I am trading it in for a Honda Civic.

Problems
By Samantha'sPain on 07/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This car has been nothing but trouble. I have had many sets of brakes, new calipers and new caliper kits, new rotors. Several recalls for the blower and the blower switch. I had all new fuel lines and fuel sensors, o2 sensors replaced on 2 occasions. The cup holder holds 1 can drink and has been broken for a long time and it cost $80.00 for a new one. I have had to replace the moonroof motor. The switch for the windows is broken and it is $50.00 just for the part. If this car had been driven hard before I got it I could understand. But, I bought this car new. It had 7 miles on it when I drove it from the lot. I will NEVER buy another Ford product.

First, last & only Ford I will ever buy
By CouldaBeenBetter on 07/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

1996 V6 LX. Bought mine with the Ford 100,000 mile warranty and I am sure glad that I did. I estimate that I had about 12 to $15,000 worth of repairs under that warranty. Hood, roof & trunk painted twice. 4 Catalytic Converters. A/C, Power Seats & Right Power Window all failed. Just about every sensor in engine has been replaced at least once. Constant thump from rear suspension that was never fixed. Persistent stalling problem. Finally at 110,000, I dumped $2500 into it to try to fix the stalling problem to no avail. Traded it in for $1500 and bought a Camry.

Overall Value
By Pmac on 03/07/02 11:12 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Contour Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

My Contour has treated me well. The heater switch failure was recalled and the cupholder was redesigned (97) to not spill on your passenger when taking left hand turns. After 96, Ford made 15" wheels standard for a smoother ride and eventually the 6 cylinder was standard. Why Ford discontiues a car if all the bugs are worked out, I don't know. Maybe the Engineers are bored have to "Focus" on some other problem. My Contour still handles and runs well at 92000 miles.