1996 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
Pure [non-permissible content removed] but surprisingly reliable
By levip0721 on 01/15/14 16:02 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in July 2013 from a friend, I'd say less than 24 hours of ownership it overheated, hose blew and split a hose and blew water pump gasket, oil pan leaks now fixed antifreeze leaks with k-seal(does wonders) rear struts are junk, pulls hard right ,poor gas mileage, erratic idle, can't loosen tensioner pulley to replace serpentine belt, THE slowest and least powerful car I've ever set foot in, my old Buick would blow the doors off this. The only positive thing is it's never broke down, only not started once from maf sensor wet, other than that I think about running it into a tree to put this useless excuse of a car out of its misery, also all windows have wiring issues

pretty car but drives bad in first.
By not a taurus on 10/18/09 07:59 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Like look and feel of contour,but the car drives bad in first gear,scary in traffic.Want to get rid of it A.S.A.P.

Nice looking hunk o' junk
By Brian on 05/07/09 16:15 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Well, I started off the first year with really no issues except the air conditioning compressor blew. Well, the past 4 months have been HECK! The tranny has started to knock, the windows get stuck down, the alternator and/or starter is going, the abs light flashes, the o2 sensor blew, the hood release snapped from the cable, drive side headrest broke, and the engine stalls at stop lights. It's been a good first car,up until now, I just can't wait to upgrade!

Satisfied longtime owner
By original owner on 04/12/09 22:20 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

If you're reading this, you're probably wondering about a '96 Contour as a used car prospect. There were some early recalls and warranty problems, but I've done decent maintenance and ended up with a reliable, fun-to-drive, economical car. The timing belt broke at 90K (no harm done; I should have replaced it sooner), but routine maintenance has been fine, brakes long-lasting, transmission no trouble. I'll be selling it reluctantly, 'cause I think it has many more miles on it!

Worthless
By Tom H. on 01/25/09 20:42 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Garbage. Car shakes all the time, speakers are broken, all the windows don't roll up or down Oil pan leaks, shocks and struts are shot, and overheated all the time. Put $2000 in to it for tune up, transmission, and water pump and timing belt. Never buy this car whatever you do.

Worst car Ever Bought
By Driver on 12/16/08 13:47 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I bought A 96 Ford Contour with less than 100000 miles on it. Drove it one day transmission went out. Had it replaced and then less than 6 months later same thing. I had to replace the water pump, timing belt, serpintine belt, battery, and battery wire on this in 6 months and not to mention after replacing the cable. The car caught fire! Never buy anything stamped found on road dead again!

Had this one a while
By big rick on 11/30/08 20:36 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Bought this Contour in late 1997 with 18,000 miles, and had it ever since-2L four and 5 speed manual makes it a fun- to-drive econo car. Replaced battery and alternator at 43000 m and valve cover gasket and spark plugs at 85000 m. Mine gets great mileage and never has left me stranded. These cars might fall apart if they are flogged hard, with light construction and 2750 lb curb weight. But mine is still fun to drive and has cost me next to nothing to own.

Shane's Nightmare
By Shane on 06/01/08 12:01 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

When this car was purchased, I had just gotten rid of an 1990 Ford Taurus (never had a problem, just died). Since I've bought this car I've suffered through a blown head gasket, 2 alternators, a water pump, wheel bearings, tie rod ends, alignments, tires, brakes, rotors, battery, gas cap opening problems, check engine light that won't go out, brake fluid & oil that leaks from nowhere (mechanics can't find the source of leak), headlights, lights burning out inside vehicle, along with various electrical problems. Yesterday the speedometer finally went for the long goodbye. I've never spent so much money for car repairs & maintenance in my years of driving. This car completely stinks!

You may not believe this one!
By the looker on 04/11/08 18:41 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

First I will list the problems I have had with this vehicle, which I'm sure is no suprise to you the readers. Engine stalls cold. Battery discharges after a couple of days. Window fell of track (drivers side). Engine Idle RPM varies while stopped in traffic. Overheating came because Ford had used a plastic not metal impeller for the water pump. The whole engine wiring had to be replaced because it was falling apart (the plastic insulation). Fan not working light comes on despite you actually seeing the fans working. Now brake pedal is intermittently hard to push during stop. Happens without warning. Now for the interesting part..This vehicle of my original ownership only has 17780. Presently

piece 'o junk
By Gene P. on 03/18/08 06:23 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

No wonder Ford is on the verge of bankruptcy. I have never owned a car so unreliable as this in my life. My daughter got rid of it for a Corolla as she was always having it repaired. Wheel bearings every 50k miles? I only bought it as the body had no rust and have regrets. Transmission torque converter, rear struts, a/c compressor, yellowed headlight lenses, wheel bearings, etc. Back to Honda / Toyota for me.