1995 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
Lemon they missed
By ray man on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Owned vehicle 3 months. The service interval was up did the maint. The trans filter is a JOKE.The speedo cable was snapped. On vacation, the timing "system" broke. Yes everything had to be replaced. Dealer noted this to be a common problem. The car was great for a month. Now it runs when it wants. It will run great, turn it off lucky if it will restart. Other hand, run like garbage and die when you pull out from a lite crank 20X it starts. (If it does)I don't trust my family in it any more. The dealer says "It seems perfectly fine to me, drove great" As we leave the lot, we almost get killed the great car died. $1400 parts replaced with no improvement. It's got to go.

good car great value
By heggsmoney on 05/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

The 4 cyl has ample power with the 5 speed and amazing gas milage (over 41 mpg highway). Had to have an engine mount replaced but other than that it has been perfect. For $5000 loaded with otions and only 61 K miles it was a heck of a deal.

Left of Side of Road
By Willie on 05/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

This car has been major problems. We had to replace the timing belt which has not been right since. It has left me stranded twice in the last 3 months. And now the mechanic says, "It has a major engine problem. It we can't get it started without a major investment in a new engine. I think you should maybe get something different." FORD - Found On Road Dead. We have owned 5 different ford cars, and will never own another one. Buyer Beware!!!

Daily Driver
By XCLNCE on 04/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I have owned my contour for more than 3 years now and have never had a problem. The 2.5L V6 is an excellent engine with a matched 5spd manual transmission. It has a broad torque curve and will pull all the way to the redline if needed. I bought the car with 60k miles on it and am now at 118k. I have never had any problems with the car, and have driven cross country multiple times. I have been from San Francisco to New York, in 48 hours flat and have not been let down. If regular maintenance is performed on the car I can see these cars pushing over 200k with no problem.

GOOD CAR IF YOU HAVE SIMPLE TASTES
By RPM on 03/23/02 18:17 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

I PURCHASED MY 95 CONTOUR LX IN OCTOBER 01 WITH 60,000 MILES ON IT. BEST CAR IN THE NEVER LET YOU DOWN CATERGORY, I HAVE SINCE JUST CHANGED THE OIL, TIRES,BRAKES,YOU KNOW NORMAL THINGS. THE CAR NOW HAS 81,000 MILES ON IT AND STARTED IN SUB-ZERO TEMPS WHEN OUR 95 ACCORD WITH THE SAME MILES JUST CRANKED I FOUND THAT TO BE FUNNY, (NOT MY WIFE THOUGH). VERY SMOOOOOOTH ENGIN IT'S A V6.

The worst of the American Car
By Saman on 03/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

This has been the most frustrating car ownerhsip experience. I am talking about both the car and Ford. Due to Ford's service own incompetent I have replaced the entire transmission (and it still give me problems) which indicates a computer issue that Ford service cannot identify. I have other service companies who will refuse to touch the care. Overall I have sunk $5,000 in just repairs! Stay away.

Transmission problems
By brimar on 03/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

Automatic transmission needed rebuild after 180k

Not Idiot Proof But a Ton of Fun
By dlf on 03/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I've got about 60,000 miles on the car and have only had one problem--inlet manifold runner control had to be replaced for about $250. One replacement of tires and brake pads. Bought a dealer demo car (5000 miles) for cheap. I love the performance of the V6 engine and the handling--it feels like a European car. I think people who hate the Contour either haven't gotten the SE model or are in need of an idiot-proof car.

piece of crap...
By LisaD on 03/06/02 16:34 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

a list of what I've had to repair in the last 6 MONTHS: transmission, front axle, headlights, wheel bearings, clockspring (ie, horn and airbag), and plus recalls. There have also been many many little annoyances, such as hubcaps that won't stay on, a clock that doesn't light up, and the window crank snapping off in my hand! What gives?

MyContourReview
By contour95 on 03/05/02 01:02 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Fun to drive car. Great handling and road feel. Good visibility. Comfortable firm ride. Some reliability problems that can be mitigated substantially by reading the techical bulletins and FAQ on www.contour.org