1995 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
Lesson Learned
By Toolbox on 08/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I have been a Ford owner for over 45 years and have been totally turned off by this lemon. I replaced the trans. at 89000 miles. The factory rebuilt lasted just over 30000 and is not repairable. The car has had an overheating problem for most of it's life,The timing belt has been replaced twice and the timing belt idler pulley exploded causing another replacement. I am now the proud owner of a car worth just over $3,000 needing over $3,000 worth of transmission work. Will I repair it "NO" will I buy another Ford "NO". Ford should apologize and make restitution to owners of these lemons. By the way I now own a Saturn and I love it!

Don't Make the Same Mistake!
By zippy78 on 08/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Overall, a terrible, TERRIBLE car...in only 2 years/24,000 miles of ownership, it had a plethora of problems...mostly suspension related. Then the auotmatic tranny blew at 65K...1K miles after the extended warranty expired. Wound up doing battle with Ford on this repair. Ford didn't want to budge, but with the help of my state's attorney general's office, I managed to get a $1,000 settlement. Three weeks after it was fixed this lemon was gone...traded it in '99 and haven't looked back since.

Guess I am lucky!
By HappyContour on 08/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

My '95 GL 4-cyl. auto trans car has been quite trouble-free for over 7 years and 104,000 miles. The only repairs have been maintenance items, except timing chain replaced at about 80k miles for $185. Can't complain, the car still looks, smells, and drives like new. This is the longest I've ever kept a car, and my wife really likes it, too.

Dan's Review
By dannation on 07/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

The Vehicle has been very reliable. It's great to drive and looks nice. I've had very few problems with the car, and yes, I know it IS a Ford.

Excellent Car
By mike02 on 07/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

I have owned my contour for about 7 years now and have never had a problem.

A nightmare brought to life!
By EJA on 07/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

What would possess a manufacturer to produce such a lousy car??? To elaborate........ THE DOWN SIDES: No tilt steering (WHY?); cup holders that only accomodate a 12oz can of pop or a small size coffee; manual seat slide lever is placed next to the center console, while the seat tilt lever is on the door side (very difficult to adjust without being seated); Gas compartment that cannot be opened from the outside, and seldom from the release lever on the inside (release latch sticks, leaving no way to fill your tank) ON THE UP SIDE: Has a peppy 2.5l DOHC engine (VERY responsive); has 78,000 miles now, and we are in the process of replacing it.

Run, don't walk, away from this
By fogjr on 07/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

I'm with several others - this car is a pleasure to drive but has drained my wallet for the past 2 years - transmission, motor mounts, A/C, lower control arm bushings (or whatever), power steering pump, cooling fan, and a 500 alternator - I will never own another Ford and curse the day I bought this junk

My Ford Contour
By Lady Firecracker on 07/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I have a '95 Ford Contour with 201,000 miles on it. Just discontinued driving it because it was trying to run hot with the AC on and I decided not to put any more money into it. Never had any major problems with it, just lots of minor ones. Sometimes the car was a royal pain, let me standing by the side of the road more than one time but once everything short of the engine & transmission was replaced, it seemed to get better. Lots of recalls on this car. Even though I got all the goody out of this one, I wouldn't buy another one.

Sad
By cag on 06/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

The problems with all the recalls and having your wiring system burn up in the car and having to have it rewired three times has been a nightmare. The first two wirings were done in town and I finally had to take it to a dealership in another town to get any satisfaction. I was told that the transmission needed replacing around 80k miles. I have managed to put on around 24k at this time without replacing it. I made a point of having the car serviced, but I guess it didn't matter. The trunk has leaked from day one and never been able to fix it. I have almost decided at this writing to never buy another American made car again.

A good car if well maintained
By ddd on 05/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

The car has always run well. After 86000 miles the water pump failed and needed to be replaced. Around the same mileage the antilock brake system needed to be rebuilt. May have been avoided if the brake fluid was changed more often.