Used 1995 Ford Contour Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

1995 Ford Contour Sedan

View reviews for a specific Contour model:

Cheap Thrills - Maintenance Required
By Jack Jones

1995 Ford Contour Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Owned one for 9 years. Duractec V6 is responsive and pulls hard all the way to redline (6700rpm). Amazingly good cornering and handling. ABS brakes excellent. Sold after 135K miles. Auto Tranny never an issue - changed fluid every 35K as they suggest.

Favorite Features

Sound of Duratec at 6500 rpm! Great Handling. Awesome stopping power (205/65/R14 tires). Comfortable and Sporty.

Suggested Improvements

Problematic at gas pump (often prematurely cuts off pump), even simple maintenance is challenging. Duratec V6 is incredibly tight fit - dont know how they got it in there.

Not Happy
By Joe

1995 Ford Contour Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in 97 and hod no problems. Once it hit 75K, everything started falling apart. I.e. Oil pan gasket, driver side power window motor, starter, water pump, AC compressor, one engine plug wouldnt fire -- replaced that, interior falling apart -- leather stitching, dash board plastic cracking, and now the transmission is going out. I have spent $2500 on car in last 2 years. Has 112K now and I cant wait to get rid of it. I WILL NEVER BUY A FORD AGAIN!

Favorite Features

Nothing

Could be much better
By Nita

1995 Ford Contour Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my car in 2001. Loved it at first ran great for about 3 years not too many problems. Mid Dec. I did my routine checking of fluids all was great everything good mid Jan. the car just quit I had to replace the engine it had froze up. The mechanic said it was out of oil, but I had no leaks. I fixed that and less than a year later my transmission started going, replace that less than a year later same problem. I bought another Contour for parts and decided that it was cheaper to just use this one. Still the same! full of problems.

Favorite Features

I love the gas mileage, comfortable and does well when rearended. I was hit twice in the rear no problems. I love the way this car handles in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

I agree with others the cup holders are no good. The transmission and motors could have been built much better.

Good Reliable Car
By Pro19Nova67

1995 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used with 57,000 miles. The car now has over 129,000 and its been one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. It's had few problems here and there but what car with that mileage doesn't? I've done all my own repairs and none have cost me over $200. It's never left me stranded, gets great gas mileage for a V6 and after all these years it still shines like new. I've never been big Ford fan until I owned this car. I highly recommend the Ford Contour.

Favorite Features

Reliable engine.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better cup holders, those things are ridiculous.

I love my car.
By marie46

1995 Ford Contour Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Bought my car with 97,000 miles in 2010, my car currently has 119,000 miles and it runs beautifully. My car has never had working AC which has never bothered me I have never spent more then $200 in repairs when I replaced my timing system. This car has a bad rap, but if you take care of your car it will last a very long time. Every time I get an oil change it runs smoother then the time before. Currently my heating motor has gone out twice its a cheap part I just haven't bought the new one. $40 fills my tank I get great gas milage. My only complaint is I have no cup holders. Who makes a car with no cup holder? That is just silly.