1995 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
Good Car for the Money
By Spider3455 on 11/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

This has been a pretty good car. Other than routine work, I have only had to have the Water Pump replaced about about 75000 miles. Starts up every time, runs smooth and gets good gas mileage. I like the value of the car. Power moonroof, quality leather, and premium sound have all been great. If you take care of this car, it will take care of you.

A lot of fan, I love it.
By Vivi on 11/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I have owned my contour for about 2 years, and it has 69k miles, now it have 90K and I never have any problem. It needed + market. The design is from England. That is the reason whay is a "diferent Ford".

not again!
By steve64 on 10/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

It was a beautiful car. basically reliable, but many minor problems. Chrome bumper strips peeled off, low coolant light came on, water leaks inside car, power window kept going out and back on. Rode too hard for my tastes, especially impact harshness. V6 good on gas at 28 mpg, but short gearing kept the car revvy while accelerating. seetled down at cruise though. Handling seemed pretty good though and the car was quiet enough. Oh, it had the a/c go out and the intake plenum went bad causing an oil leak, both fixed under warranty or before purchase, great service from dealer, if a little inconvenient, but for $4000 what can i expect?

Love to Drive
By Chasjaz on 10/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Fell in love with the engine/transmission in this car. 2.5L V6 with 5sp is a blast to drive. A real sleeper that surprises a lot of sports cars. Unfortunately it rides worse than most sport cars. It really beats you up. Leather interior looks nice but it's cramped inside and not very well laid out. I've had electrical problems from day one. Emergency break sticks when it freezes and cannot be released.

Everything is falling apart
By dannnn on 10/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for about two years. I got it at about 80k miles. I drove it from Ohio to California. I am at 126k now and aside from a few recalls everything has turned out ok. At this point though, everything is falling apart. The gas door won't open, then vents don't work, and the cup holder sucks.

Zippy
By bquiner on 09/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

This car has almost always performed superbly. It still has all of its zip after 85,000+ miles. The leather interior is very nice. No major mechanical repairs have been required.

Ford didn't market this gem very well
By calhykr on 09/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

My grandparents bought a '95 SE with most of the goodies and let the car sit. I bought it at five years old with only 11,000 "grandparent" miles. To date, I have only had to tighten a coupling in the EGR system. The accompanying clicking-when-accelerating noise and 'check engine' light no longer happen. The cup holder is now broken, but the important things still function as they should now that the car is a ripe 7 years old with 24K miles.

This is why I don't buy Ford
By fordcritic on 09/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I was critical of Fords before but decided to give one a chance. My contour has 91,700 miles on it and is currently in the shop for the transmission that just went out. What is wrong with Ford and being able to make a decent transmission??? My vents no longer work either and I'm sure that's going to cost me a pretty penny to fix too!

Good car
By suzi on 08/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Bought this car 3 years old for my 18- year old daughter. Now have 70,000 and with hardly any problems. I questioned whether I should buy it due to what consumer reports said, but it turned out to be a good car for her.

Lesson Learned
By Toolbox on 08/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I have been a Ford owner for over 45 years and have been totally turned off by this lemon. I replaced the trans. at 89000 miles. The factory rebuilt lasted just over 30000 and is not repairable. The car has had an overheating problem for most of it's life,The timing belt has been replaced twice and the timing belt idler pulley exploded causing another replacement. I am now the proud owner of a car worth just over $3,000 needing over $3,000 worth of transmission work. Will I repair it "NO" will I buy another Ford "NO". Ford should apologize and make restitution to owners of these lemons. By the way I now own a Saturn and I love it!