1995 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
Cheap Thrills - Maintenance Required
By Jack Jones on 12/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

Owned one for 9 years. Duractec V6 is responsive and pulls hard all the way to redline (6700rpm). Amazingly good cornering and handling. ABS brakes excellent. Sold after 135K miles. Auto Tranny never an issue - changed fluid every 35K as they suggest.

Do Not Buy a First Generation Vehicle
By Joe Blow on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

I dont care if its Yugo or Lexus, NEVER buy a first generation vehicle (like I did). The engineers need time to improve the thing with a few design mods. I have had my car for 9 years and put 135,000 miles on it. Fun as hell to drive, but frequent warranty failures put me on first name basis with service department. Out of Warranty repairs minor, but agree the powertrain is a total pain to work on - even a simple thing takes patience due to extremely dense fit of motor in engine compartment!

Biggest mistake of my life!
By i'm done on 11/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

i bought this car for $5,000 a few years ago and since then have put close to $6,000 into it in repairs alone, not to mention regular maintenance. 3 months after i bought it, the water pump, AC compressor, serpentine and timing belts went out (along with a host of other things) and a few months after that, it happened again. I have not gone more than 3 months without this car costing me at least $400 in repairs. Most recently, the entire central computer needed to be replaced along with the 3rd water pump and all new belts (for the 3rd time) to the tune of nearly $1000.

Great Car, Sweet Ride
By thor_thunder on 11/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I have loved my Contour. I have not had to have any work done on the car with the exception of reconditioning the air conditioning unit. After almost 150,000 miles, I am amazed at how well the car runs and performs. The 2.5 liter V6 Duratec engine provides the perfect blend of horsepower and fuel economy.

Overall satisfaction
By Jeff Moon on 11/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

1999 purchase at 45k miles. Drove an average of 500 miles per week first 2 years and only work needed was oil and tire rotation. Hugs the corners well and has great acceleration. Biggest major repair came a month ago when the water pump was replaced at 115k miles. Not much to look at from the outside but very comfortable inside, especially up front. Also impressed with the trunk space for weekend trips and grocery shopping. As mentioned by other reviewers, the check engine light comes on especially at highway speeds, but twice the dealer has looked at with no diagnosis. Also have had the cable release for the hood replaced twice!

a pleasant surprise
By N.R.Mills on 09/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a throw-away in 1997 with 69k miles on it. Here I am eight years and 100k miles later and it's still going. I call it the zombie because the thing JUST WONT DIE! That's a good thing. It's been so reliable that I've almost come around to the Ford brand name.

Like a single Mom
By Highpockets on 08/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

It gets up and goes when its sick, when its hurt, when it just doesn't feel like it. Don't have the extra funds to put into a vehicle just to keep it in pristine, like-new running shape. A WORK HORSE! Program car with 32k when I bought it. Roomy, comfy, a huge trunk. It just keeps going and going until I have the funds to do routine maintenance for a machine: brakes, motor mounts, tie rods, sensors, etc. Ford Dealerships suggest thousands in repairs. I choose per my budget. Energetically runs on for years before I get to the other items on the Dealer's list. Was disappointed when I looked around and learned that I couldn't plan on buying a new one.

Still love it after 9 years!
By robdobby on 08/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I ordered this car in early 1995, and nearly 9 years later I'm still thrilled with it. The body is still tight, the V6 still smooth and torquey. It has been reliable, the first time it let me down was a few weeks ago when the water pump went (after 8.5 years and 76k miles). It's a shame that it was cancelled. Reviewers always complained about the back seat, but I think this is a perfect sized small sedan.

great new car
By StirrCrazy on 08/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

this is my first new car it replaced an 89 chevy celebrity that was on its last leg. I go to school 200 miles from home and this car if GREAT! its comfortable, reliable, and it looks great. I'm NOT afraid to be seen in it. I would recomend it as a first car for a new driver. it is very safe and feul efficient!

Fun, but still a Ford!
By mwh on 08/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from my Father-in- law. He had it since new and it is a fully optioned V6 SE. By the time I got it (70,000 miles) I had to replace the full suspension system, tyres, Brakes, water pump, electric fan and some other things that I can't remember. As you can imagine I was less than impressed. The check engine light also came on at highway speeds (still does but know one knows why). I have been through 3 Ford dealers as they do not know what customer service is. But since I replaced the above components, the car has been reasonably reliable and is fun to drive. I have 2 young kids and it is roomy enough to carry our load on vacation.