1995 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
Great Car, Sweet Ride
By thor_thunder on 11/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I have loved my Contour. I have not had to have any work done on the car with the exception of reconditioning the air conditioning unit. After almost 150,000 miles, I am amazed at how well the car runs and performs. The 2.5 liter V6 Duratec engine provides the perfect blend of horsepower and fuel economy.

a pleasant surprise
By N.R.Mills on 09/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a throw-away in 1997 with 69k miles on it. Here I am eight years and 100k miles later and it's still going. I call it the zombie because the thing JUST WONT DIE! That's a good thing. It's been so reliable that I've almost come around to the Ford brand name.

Like a single Mom
By Highpockets on 08/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

It gets up and goes when its sick, when its hurt, when it just doesn't feel like it. Don't have the extra funds to put into a vehicle just to keep it in pristine, like-new running shape. A WORK HORSE! Program car with 32k when I bought it. Roomy, comfy, a huge trunk. It just keeps going and going until I have the funds to do routine maintenance for a machine: brakes, motor mounts, tie rods, sensors, etc. Ford Dealerships suggest thousands in repairs. I choose per my budget. Energetically runs on for years before I get to the other items on the Dealer's list. Was disappointed when I looked around and learned that I couldn't plan on buying a new one.

great new car
By StirrCrazy on 08/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

this is my first new car it replaced an 89 chevy celebrity that was on its last leg. I go to school 200 miles from home and this car if GREAT! its comfortable, reliable, and it looks great. I'm NOT afraid to be seen in it. I would recomend it as a first car for a new driver. it is very safe and feul efficient!

What's wrong?
By DRIVER8 on 08/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I have a 1995 GL 4-cyl 5-spd manual with 116000 miles. It has been one of the best cars I've owned, so why do so many people have so many complaints? After reading all the reviews here's the secret. 1) Get the manual transmission -- the automatic is unreliable and sluggish. 2) Replace the water pump and timing belt before 100,000 miles (doing these at the same time saves a lot on labor) -- they break down shortly after 100,000 and the repair after the fact costs more than the value of the car.

1995 Ford Contour GL
By JRBNH on 07/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

We inherited this car from a family member over 3 years ago, which we use as a daily driver. 4 cylinder GL with automatic, 92k miles. It's just one problem after another, too many to list here. I'm a firm believer in maintenance by the book, so I've taken good care of this car. Sadly, it's an exercise in futility. Lots of design flaws, inside and out that irritate on a daily basis. Subpar power and fuel economy. For a domestic car, it's actually a nice compromise between ride and handling. For any trip, we use our 1991 Acura w/ 260k miles because we know that it'll get us there and back without a reapir bill.

Great car
By FordContourOwner on 05/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

With the V6 and 5 speed it was more fun to drive than any other car I've owned. No major problems, other than the plastic water pump impeller wore out at 165,000 miles and the heater/air conditioner switch at 170,000. Sadly, the car's life was brought to a premature end at 175,000 miles when an oncoming motorist ventured in to my lane.

Car with many problems
By Carfreak189 on 03/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I owned it from March 1995-March2000. It was terribole computer went out, seats squeked, wires broke, gas ran out. Car broke down, at the dealer every month recalls. Dont by this junk. Its a good thing Ford stopped this car.

electical nightmare
By ranger on 03/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

If you love a permanent "check-engine" light, this is the car for you. The entire wiring harness was replaced on a recall and after six months the check- engine light came back but only when you went 62 to 64 mph. Now it is once again on forever. Other problems; brakes, ABS lights, grinding sound in right rear wheel area, motor mounts, engine self-revs at idle, plastic parts break, vibrates like crazy. Quality was Job 297.

This is a Great Car!
By William Cook on 03/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I am the original owner and have put 110,000 miles on a 1995 GL 4-cylendar 5- speed manual Contour. I have only done routine maintenance on it with the exception of a blasted electrical problem with the cooling fan that was recalled and has been repaired several times -- but at Ford's expense! There have been no other problems with the car. I think I get more miles per dollar spent with this car than any car I kmnow of. And as a bonus, its peppy and fun to drive (although I am told the version with the automatic transmission is sluggish).