Used 1995 Ford Contour SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:

I LOVE MY CAR!!!!
By onehellofacutie

1995 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I Got this Car as a Replacement to another thinking that Sence I got Sure a Great deal oin it I would keep it untill I found something that would be Better. But now I Would never Give it up. I love it way too Much !!!!

Overall satisfaction
By Jeff Moon

1995 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

1999 purchase at 45k miles. Drove an average of 500 miles per week first 2 years and only work needed was oil and tire rotation. Hugs the corners well and has great acceleration. Biggest major repair came a month ago when the water pump was replaced at 115k miles. Not much to look at from the outside but very comfortable inside, especially up front. Also impressed with the trunk space for weekend trips and grocery shopping. As mentioned by other reviewers, the check engine light comes on especially at highway speeds, but twice the dealer has looked at with no diagnosis. Also have had the cable release for the hood replaced twice!

Accelerates and handles well when necessary. Roomy trunk. Comfortable front bucket seats make long rides feel shorter. Not bad for an "economic" mid- size model competing with the Accord and the Camry.

Discontinued after 2000 model. A lot of squeaks and rattles at any speed. Very little room under hood and difficult to perform simple, at-home maintenance.

Still love it after 9 years!
By robdobby

1995 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I ordered this car in early 1995, and nearly 9 years later I'm still thrilled with it. The body is still tight, the V6 still smooth and torquey. It has been reliable, the first time it let me down was a few weeks ago when the water pump went (after 8.5 years and 76k miles). It's a shame that it was cancelled. Reviewers always complained about the back seat, but I think this is a perfect sized small sedan.

Smooth engine (V6 w/ manual transmission), tight construction, great feel to steering

None

Fun, but still a Ford!
By mwh

1995 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from my Father-in- law. He had it since new and it is a fully optioned V6 SE. By the time I got it (70,000 miles) I had to replace the full suspension system, tyres, Brakes, water pump, electric fan and some other things that I can't remember. As you can imagine I was less than impressed. The check engine light also came on at highway speeds (still does but know one knows why). I have been through 3 Ford dealers as they do not know what customer service is. But since I replaced the above components, the car has been reasonably reliable and is fun to drive. I have 2 young kids and it is roomy enough to carry our load on vacation.

Drivability and performance. This car handles and drives very well. Accelerating on to the freeway is a pleasure. The trunk is also very roomy.

Ford Dealerships have no idea about customer service. I will not buy a Ford again as I do not wish to deal with them. Cup holders are a pain.

A lemon needing too many repairs
By Fed Up

1995 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

WHEN it runs, it's great. V6 with 5 speed manual is responsive and fun. The ride is nice, seats are comfy, and it holds cruise speed in the mountains. But it is simply unreliable. In the past 5 months, it has broken down 5 times. Starting at 36K miles (when we should have seen "the signs" and dumped it), countless trips to the shop include catalytic converter, oxygen sensor, mass air flow sensor, wiring harness, EGR something-or-another, etc. The part is NEVER in stock at my Ford dealership, adding to the inconvenience. I inherited this car when I married my husband. My husband is great, but the car is a lemon.

Peppy engine, fun five speed, moon roof.

Overall reliability and quality parts that aren't farmed out to some shoddy outside manufacturer. Cup holder that actually holds a cup without the passenger's seat getting in the way.