1995 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
A mechanical nightmare!
By i hate this car on 01/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

This car is a decent car to drive, especially for the money paid, but it's a disaster on wheels. The engine revs itself at idle, and I can't start it without keeping my foot on the gas or it stalls. The brake pedal will only depress half-way (new pads and rotors turned 6 mo. ago). This car also jerks and shakes when in drive gear below speeds of 20 MPH, causing me to hit a car in front of me while I was parallel parking. I like Fords, but this car seems to be poorly designed (ie. cupholder, lack of rear legroom, locking gas cap won't open etc).

Best College Car
By ksukymmie on 11/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

I brought my Ford Contour in 1999 and still have it in 2002. I have only had one minor problem with it and that occured when the "Check Engine" light came on. For the entire four years, I only paid 400$ in repairs for this car. It is still in excellent condition and remains a great reliable vehicle. I recommend this car to anyone out there. Good luck in your search!

Excellent Car
By mike02 on 07/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

I have owned my contour for about 7 years now and have never had a problem.

A nightmare brought to life!
By EJA on 07/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

What would possess a manufacturer to produce such a lousy car??? To elaborate........ THE DOWN SIDES: No tilt steering (WHY?); cup holders that only accomodate a 12oz can of pop or a small size coffee; manual seat slide lever is placed next to the center console, while the seat tilt lever is on the door side (very difficult to adjust without being seated); Gas compartment that cannot be opened from the outside, and seldom from the release lever on the inside (release latch sticks, leaving no way to fill your tank) ON THE UP SIDE: Has a peppy 2.5l DOHC engine (VERY responsive); has 78,000 miles now, and we are in the process of replacing it.

Run, don't walk, away from this
By fogjr on 07/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

I'm with several others - this car is a pleasure to drive but has drained my wallet for the past 2 years - transmission, motor mounts, A/C, lower control arm bushings (or whatever), power steering pump, cooling fan, and a 500 alternator - I will never own another Ford and curse the day I bought this junk

A good car if well maintained
By ddd on 05/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

The car has always run well. After 86000 miles the water pump failed and needed to be replaced. Around the same mileage the antilock brake system needed to be rebuilt. May have been avoided if the brake fluid was changed more often.

GOOD CAR IF YOU HAVE SIMPLE TASTES
By RPM on 03/23/02 18:17 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

I PURCHASED MY 95 CONTOUR LX IN OCTOBER 01 WITH 60,000 MILES ON IT. BEST CAR IN THE NEVER LET YOU DOWN CATERGORY, I HAVE SINCE JUST CHANGED THE OIL, TIRES,BRAKES,YOU KNOW NORMAL THINGS. THE CAR NOW HAS 81,000 MILES ON IT AND STARTED IN SUB-ZERO TEMPS WHEN OUR 95 ACCORD WITH THE SAME MILES JUST CRANKED I FOUND THAT TO BE FUNNY, (NOT MY WIFE THOUGH). VERY SMOOOOOOTH ENGIN IT'S A V6.