1995 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
Hangin in there.
By Chazman on 03/19/06 22:36 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Had a rough start with this vehicle as we had to chase some electrical issues (check the ground for the trouble lights on the steering column). It's been reliable since except AC just went out. V6 with 5 speed is a blast to drive. Ignore the "check engine" light as dealer and others cannot figure out cause. Runs fine. Good driver in the snow.

Worst Car I have EVER owned
By Mechele on 12/27/05 16:28 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Worst vehicle I have ever owned. Bought it with 75,000 miles on it. Have had to have 4 MAJOR repairs before it hit 100 thousand miles (electrical problems). Gas mileage is horrible, even after a tune up, new tires, alignments & religiously changing oil and transmission fluid. My 4x4 jeep Cherokee got better city mileage than this Ford gets on the highway (@60mph.) I discovered this year and model is at the top of the "Do NOT buy used" list. I will NEVER buy another FORD vehicle; everyone in my family has had poor experiences with Ford Vehicles.

Purple Lemon
By m. Junghans on 04/12/05 17:31 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

Transmission went sour in 67,000 miles and had to be replaced. Fuel injection system had to be rebuilt at 68,000. Water pump went bad at 69,000. Transmission is designed so that a repair is not possible. Once you have internal problems the only fix it to replace the transmission (average estimate to replace was $3K). Water pump was designed with rubber blades on the shaft which wore down to nothing (average estimate to replace was $500). Fuel injection system design is complicated, thus expensive to repair. All in all this car lives up to FORD's intiials (Fix Or Repair Daily).

Awesome Car
By Erin on 03/07/05 14:10 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

We've had our Contour for almost 7 years. CARFAX says it was a rental before we bought it. Aside from replacing the alternator last year, we've never had to have major repair service done on it. Rear-ended twice by people going 20+ mph with no real damage. Nice power, turns great, comfortable, decently roomy in the back seat for a small car. Decent gas mileage for its weight and age. We are thinking of selling it (we want a Hybrid) and I will be sad to give it up.

Not Happy
By Joe on 02/21/05 09:06 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in 97 and hod no problems. Once it hit 75K, everything started falling apart. I.e. Oil pan gasket, driver side power window motor, starter, water pump, AC compressor, one engine plug wouldnt fire -- replaced that, interior falling apart -- leather stitching, dash board plastic cracking, and now the transmission is going out. I have spent $2500 on car in last 2 years. Has 112K now and I cant wait to get rid of it. I WILL NEVER BUY A FORD AGAIN!

Not bad for a Ford
By My first American on 02/18/05 00:51 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Bought it at 87K because the salesperson told me it was "Sport Edition" and can't be mistaken with its handling and ride quality. Yes tight handling and way too firm suspension, steering feel is just about as good as a BMW 3 series, interior and trunk space are ample compared to its compact size, nice folded backseat but should offer rear headrest and more rear leg room, road noise can be annoying especially on midwest pavement and jaw-breaking ride which leads to tons of rattles and sqeaks, engine is smooth and strong at highway speeds. Haven't had major reliability issues except once water pump blew up at 96K and minor repairs - right rear window motor and trunk release cable went and now happy at 110K.

quality was not an issue
By grant r on 02/15/05 15:10 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

Owning a Ford Contour has been perhaps my worst car experience. Every part of the vehicle seems to be made from toy plastic. I can effortlessly BEND the gear shift. A 3 year old child literally ripped out the cupholders. I have replaced front & rear springs, front & rear suspension, front & rear brakes, and timing system. Don't buy this car unless it is for a very short period of time and out of complete desperation. The good things: The transmission is holding up, and the radio still works. Several mechanics have confirmed that the heater will be the next to go. Be careful out there car-buyers.

Git R Done
By Mr. Contour on 02/02/05 13:05 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

We bought this car 3 years ago and haven't had any major problems. The bearing on the right side is out, but that was normal for the way it was being driven. Very good in the snow for us (crazy huh).

Just a great car
By DASpike on 11/29/04 22:39 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

Bought my Contour new in late 1994 and am just about to turn 170,000 miles. Have the 4-cylinder, manual transmission. I've been looking at new cars for about 3 years, but frankly haven't found a need to replace this Contour.The car has been incredibly reliable. Save the expected maintenance (oil changes, brakes, tires, timing belt, etc), I've probably had to put a total of $1000 into it over the last 10 years (and most of that was replacing a couple of engine mounting bolts). Routinely get about 33 mpg highway, and with the manual transmission the 4-cylinder has some pep to it. The car is rock solid and is fun to drive.

Pleasantly Surprised!
By Gino on 09/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I am very pleased with my Contour. Going on 10 years now, I am rounding 100K and the car continues to run great. Now, mostly my wife uses it as a weekend car to run errands; take the kids to soccer practice etc. Very safe vehicle. Great on gas.