1995 Ford Contour Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
Good Reliable Car
By Pro19Nova67 on 07/03/09 21:16 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used with 57,000 miles. The car now has over 129,000 and its been one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. It's had few problems here and there but what car with that mileage doesn't? I've done all my own repairs and none have cost me over $200. It's never left me stranded, gets great gas mileage for a V6 and after all these years it still shines like new. I've never been big Ford fan until I owned this car. I highly recommend the Ford Contour.

Never Again
By rjones on 03/13/09 21:00 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in 2000 with only 30,000 miles on it and only one owner. 3 years later when it reached around 50,000 miles there have been nothing but issues. Transmission went out, all electrical has to be replaced, suspension replaced, constant alignments, $3,000 worth of work to fix a stalling issue. The list goes on. I will never own another contour again.

Awesome Car
By Erin on 03/07/05 14:10 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

We've had our Contour for almost 7 years. CARFAX says it was a rental before we bought it. Aside from replacing the alternator last year, we've never had to have major repair service done on it. Rear-ended twice by people going 20+ mph with no real damage. Nice power, turns great, comfortable, decently roomy in the back seat for a small car. Decent gas mileage for its weight and age. We are thinking of selling it (we want a Hybrid) and I will be sad to give it up.

Not bad for a Ford
By My first American on 02/18/05 00:51 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought it at 87K because the salesperson told me it was "Sport Edition" and can't be mistaken with its handling and ride quality. Yes tight handling and way too firm suspension, steering feel is just about as good as a BMW 3 series, interior and trunk space are ample compared to its compact size, nice folded backseat but should offer rear headrest and more rear leg room, road noise can be annoying especially on midwest pavement and jaw-breaking ride which leads to tons of rattles and sqeaks, engine is smooth and strong at highway speeds. Haven't had major reliability issues except once water pump blew up at 96K and minor repairs - right rear window motor and trunk release cable went and now happy at 110K.

Great Car When it's Not at the Mechanic
By Alejandro on 05/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Car at the dealer for repairs six times in the first two years I owned it: EGR valves (?), catalytic converter, oxygen sensors, electrical system issues, and other stuff I have forgotten. Last 5 years: electrical system shorted out twice; check engine light on all the time; right rear suspension link broke, speedometer/odometer stopped working. All that being said I LOVE this car. The engine is powerful and fuel- efficient, the car is loaded with options and a joy to drive. Handling (before suspension problem) was incredible - like a European performance sedan.

I LOVE MY CAR!!!!
By onehellofacutie on 01/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I Got this Car as a Replacement to another thinking that Sence I got Sure a Great deal oin it I would keep it untill I found something that would be Better. But now I Would never Give it up. I love it way too Much !!!!

Overall satisfaction
By Jeff Moon on 11/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

1999 purchase at 45k miles. Drove an average of 500 miles per week first 2 years and only work needed was oil and tire rotation. Hugs the corners well and has great acceleration. Biggest major repair came a month ago when the water pump was replaced at 115k miles. Not much to look at from the outside but very comfortable inside, especially up front. Also impressed with the trunk space for weekend trips and grocery shopping. As mentioned by other reviewers, the check engine light comes on especially at highway speeds, but twice the dealer has looked at with no diagnosis. Also have had the cable release for the hood replaced twice!

Still love it after 9 years!
By robdobby on 08/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I ordered this car in early 1995, and nearly 9 years later I'm still thrilled with it. The body is still tight, the V6 still smooth and torquey. It has been reliable, the first time it let me down was a few weeks ago when the water pump went (after 8.5 years and 76k miles). It's a shame that it was cancelled. Reviewers always complained about the back seat, but I think this is a perfect sized small sedan.

Fun, but still a Ford!
By mwh on 08/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from my Father-in- law. He had it since new and it is a fully optioned V6 SE. By the time I got it (70,000 miles) I had to replace the full suspension system, tyres, Brakes, water pump, electric fan and some other things that I can't remember. As you can imagine I was less than impressed. The check engine light also came on at highway speeds (still does but know one knows why). I have been through 3 Ford dealers as they do not know what customer service is. But since I replaced the above components, the car has been reasonably reliable and is fun to drive. I have 2 young kids and it is roomy enough to carry our load on vacation.

A lemon needing too many repairs
By Fed Up on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

WHEN it runs, it's great. V6 with 5 speed manual is responsive and fun. The ride is nice, seats are comfy, and it holds cruise speed in the mountains. But it is simply unreliable. In the past 5 months, it has broken down 5 times. Starting at 36K miles (when we should have seen "the signs" and dumped it), countless trips to the shop include catalytic converter, oxygen sensor, mass air flow sensor, wiring harness, EGR something-or-another, etc. The part is NEVER in stock at my Ford dealership, adding to the inconvenience. I inherited this car when I married my husband. My husband is great, but the car is a lemon.