1995 Ford Contour Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
I love my car.
By marie46 on 02/06/13 17:43 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Bought my car with 97,000 miles in 2010, my car currently has 119,000 miles and it runs beautifully. My car has never had working AC which has never bothered me I have never spent more then $200 in repairs when I replaced my timing system. This car has a bad rap, but if you take care of your car it will last a very long time. Every time I get an oil change it runs smoother then the time before. Currently my heating motor has gone out twice its a cheap part I just haven't bought the new one. $40 fills my tank I get great gas milage. My only complaint is I have no cup holders. Who makes a car with no cup holder? That is just silly.

Frustrated
By Frustrated in Iowa on 07/27/09 11:25 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle in 2005 with only 23,000 miles on it. One-owner who passed away, sold by the children to me. At about 50k miles a number of things began to go wrong with it. Every 5k miles I was repairing something (and very expensive). Finally traded it in at 70,000 miles when the parking gear started to stick. I got alot of use out of it for what I paid for it, however repairing this sucker cost me a pretty penny. It was a beautiful looking car and many people just assumed it was newer. The body style is very nice. It was great on mileage (26mpg for me), but it was terrible in the snow. Timing chain busted.

Good Reliable Car
By Pro19Nova67 on 07/03/09 21:16 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used with 57,000 miles. The car now has over 129,000 and its been one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. It's had few problems here and there but what car with that mileage doesn't? I've done all my own repairs and none have cost me over $200. It's never left me stranded, gets great gas mileage for a V6 and after all these years it still shines like new. I've never been big Ford fan until I owned this car. I highly recommend the Ford Contour.

Never Again
By rjones on 03/13/09 21:00 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in 2000 with only 30,000 miles on it and only one owner. 3 years later when it reached around 50,000 miles there have been nothing but issues. Transmission went out, all electrical has to be replaced, suspension replaced, constant alignments, $3,000 worth of work to fix a stalling issue. The list goes on. I will never own another contour again.

It just keeps on going
By DSpike on 09/29/08 17:07 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought my 95 Contour LX with the 4-cyl 5-speed manual transmission. I've been trying to convince myself to buy another car for 6 years now - I have failed over and over again. This car certainly isn't flashy or super powerful, but believe or now it is fun to drive. The two big complaints with this car are ridiculous cup holders and not enough leg room in the back for adults. Mechanically I had issues with the OEM rear struts; had them replaced at 20K mi under warranty, then again at 35K mi. At 60K mi I had Midas install non-Ford struts. Am now pushing 215K mi with those same struts. Other than the usual maintenance, this car has been fantastic.

Wish i would have bought a Chevy
By Dave on 06/22/08 05:58 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I loved this car when I first bought it and I didn't have any problems with it other than the seemed like hundreds of recalls on it. After a year at 98,000 miles i had to put a new engine in it, I've had problems with the brakes which seem to always have a problem, i don't know what they were thinking with those cup holders, and the head rest, which were all broke within the first month, then at 160,000 miles I had to put another new engine in it, and now I need to put rear brake lines on it and you have drop the gas tank and take rear suspension parts out of the way just to get to them. If it wasn't for the price of gas or a new car I would have junked it a long time ago.

Could be much better
By Nita on 03/30/08 16:45 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my car in 2001. Loved it at first ran great for about 3 years not too many problems. Mid Dec. I did my routine checking of fluids all was great everything good mid Jan. the car just quit I had to replace the engine it had froze up. The mechanic said it was out of oil, but I had no leaks. I fixed that and less than a year later my transmission started going, replace that less than a year later same problem. I bought another Contour for parts and decided that it was cheaper to just use this one. Still the same! full of problems.

Couldn't Buy a WORSE Car!!!!
By wvbabygirlsam on 03/21/08 06:48 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my car used first mistake there, it had 60,000 miles on it once it hit 65,000 or 70,000 miles everything started going wrong! My engine needed new parts, my gas gauge doesn't work, my fuel pump went bad, and the headlights fog up really bad. My car also has idling problem, it's an automatic and it stalls out at stop lights, stop signs, or even when you hit the brakes a little hard! I will never own another older Ford ever! I paid 3,000 for it, and paid 8 months of repair bills = 6,000 dollars worth. Now I'm looking at a trade in value of no more than 1,200 dollars! So if you're thinking about getting this car don't! For your wallets safety.

Not the best primary car
By jldude on 05/02/07 12:20 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This car is a great car if you find one that has been taken care of. I bought mine with over 100K miles so it wasn't the best condition. The biggest problems was the underhood electrical system which failed in more than one place due to heat, fragile transmission, and dry rotted suspension mounts. The electrical system on certain contours was recalled but mine was over the time/mileage limit. The best part of this car is the 2.5 Duratec V6, especially if you get the SVT. Unfortuneately it doesn't have much low end torque so a 5speed is the best choice for this car. Fuel economy isn't great, just make sure you get one that has been taken care of.

Been a good car!
By KRocks on 07/30/06 14:27 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

We're the 2nd owner on our 2.0L 4 cylinder GL model. We bought it with about 30K on it and are at almost 121K now. We bought this exclusively as a back & forth to work runner and it's served it's purpose well. We still get 28- 30mpg but it's starting to nickel & dime us a bit. It's really been a great car and the problems we've started having are things you'd expect with a car this old. We've recently had to replace the timing belt, water pump, brakes, and the costly item was the catalytic converter. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another one with lower mileage.