1995 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
It just keeps on going
By DSpike on 09/29/08 17:07 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

Bought my 95 Contour LX with the 4-cyl 5-speed manual transmission. I've been trying to convince myself to buy another car for 6 years now - I have failed over and over again. This car certainly isn't flashy or super powerful, but believe or now it is fun to drive. The two big complaints with this car are ridiculous cup holders and not enough leg room in the back for adults. Mechanically I had issues with the OEM rear struts; had them replaced at 20K mi under warranty, then again at 35K mi. At 60K mi I had Midas install non-Ford struts. Am now pushing 215K mi with those same struts. Other than the usual maintenance, this car has been fantastic.

Purple Lemon
By m. Junghans on 04/12/05 17:31 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

Transmission went sour in 67,000 miles and had to be replaced. Fuel injection system had to be rebuilt at 68,000. Water pump went bad at 69,000. Transmission is designed so that a repair is not possible. Once you have internal problems the only fix it to replace the transmission (average estimate to replace was $3K). Water pump was designed with rubber blades on the shaft which wore down to nothing (average estimate to replace was $500). Fuel injection system design is complicated, thus expensive to repair. All in all this car lives up to FORD's intiials (Fix Or Repair Daily).

Not Happy
By Joe on 02/21/05 09:06 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in 97 and hod no problems. Once it hit 75K, everything started falling apart. I.e. Oil pan gasket, driver side power window motor, starter, water pump, AC compressor, one engine plug wouldnt fire -- replaced that, interior falling apart -- leather stitching, dash board plastic cracking, and now the transmission is going out. I have spent $2500 on car in last 2 years. Has 112K now and I cant wait to get rid of it. I WILL NEVER BUY A FORD AGAIN!

quality was not an issue
By grant r on 02/15/05 15:10 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

Owning a Ford Contour has been perhaps my worst car experience. Every part of the vehicle seems to be made from toy plastic. I can effortlessly BEND the gear shift. A 3 year old child literally ripped out the cupholders. I have replaced front & rear springs, front & rear suspension, front & rear brakes, and timing system. Don't buy this car unless it is for a very short period of time and out of complete desperation. The good things: The transmission is holding up, and the radio still works. Several mechanics have confirmed that the heater will be the next to go. Be careful out there car-buyers.

Just a great car
By DASpike on 11/29/04 22:39 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

Bought my Contour new in late 1994 and am just about to turn 170,000 miles. Have the 4-cylinder, manual transmission. I've been looking at new cars for about 3 years, but frankly haven't found a need to replace this Contour.The car has been incredibly reliable. Save the expected maintenance (oil changes, brakes, tires, timing belt, etc), I've probably had to put a total of $1000 into it over the last 10 years (and most of that was replacing a couple of engine mounting bolts). Routinely get about 33 mpg highway, and with the manual transmission the 4-cylinder has some pep to it. The car is rock solid and is fun to drive.

Cheap Thrills - Maintenance Required
By Jack Jones on 12/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

Owned one for 9 years. Duractec V6 is responsive and pulls hard all the way to redline (6700rpm). Amazingly good cornering and handling. ABS brakes excellent. Sold after 135K miles. Auto Tranny never an issue - changed fluid every 35K as they suggest.

Do Not Buy a First Generation Vehicle
By Joe Blow on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

I dont care if its Yugo or Lexus, NEVER buy a first generation vehicle (like I did). The engineers need time to improve the thing with a few design mods. I have had my car for 9 years and put 135,000 miles on it. Fun as hell to drive, but frequent warranty failures put me on first name basis with service department. Out of Warranty repairs minor, but agree the powertrain is a total pain to work on - even a simple thing takes patience due to extremely dense fit of motor in engine compartment!

should be named "Contortion"...
By Contortionist on 07/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

...since this is what you do when working on it. Engine/transaxle/accessories extremely mechanic-unfriendly to service. Automatic transaxle failure at 120k (an expensive part and labor to replace.)

Ford Contour
By kleinjo on 04/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

Persistant engine/electrical problems, however I wasn't disappointed witht the performance capabilities of the V-6.

nice for tha small family
By biZZy on 02/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

i like the pep that the v6 has. and its pretty comfortable for a guy thats 6'2! luckily my children are small, in a few years i'll have to upgrade so they'll have some legroom.