Used 1995 Ford Contour GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

1995 Ford Contour

View reviews for a specific Contour model:

Most Helpful|
Wish i would have bought a Chevy
By Dave

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I loved this car when I first bought it and I didn't have any problems with it other than the seemed like hundreds of recalls on it. After a year at 98,000 miles i had to put a new engine in it, I've had problems with the brakes which seem to always have a problem, i don't know what they were thinking with those cup holders, and the head rest, which were all broke within the first month, then at 160,000 miles I had to put another new engine in it, and now I need to put rear brake lines on it and you have drop the gas tank and take rear suspension parts out of the way just to get to them. If it wasn't for the price of gas or a new car I would have junked it a long time ago.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, handling, decent performance for a four cylinder

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the cheap cup holders, make it more user friendly for the backyard mechanic, figure out why the head cracks so easy

I love my car.
By marie46

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Bought my car with 97,000 miles in 2010, my car currently has 119,000 miles and it runs beautifully. My car has never had working AC which has never bothered me I have never spent more then $200 in repairs when I replaced my timing system. This car has a bad rap, but if you take care of your car it will last a very long time. Every time I get an oil change it runs smoother then the time before. Currently my heating motor has gone out twice its a cheap part I just haven't bought the new one. $40 fills my tank I get great gas milage. My only complaint is I have no cup holders. Who makes a car with no cup holder? That is just silly.

Frustrated
By Frustrated in Iowa

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle in 2005 with only 23,000 miles on it. One-owner who passed away, sold by the children to me. At about 50k miles a number of things began to go wrong with it. Every 5k miles I was repairing something (and very expensive). Finally traded it in at 70,000 miles when the parking gear started to stick. I got alot of use out of it for what I paid for it, however repairing this sucker cost me a pretty penny. It was a beautiful looking car and many people just assumed it was newer. The body style is very nice. It was great on mileage (26mpg for me), but it was terrible in the snow. Timing chain busted.

Favorite Features

Was a nice looking car that most people assumed was an 02 or 03 rather than the 1995 it was!

Suggested Improvements

Expensive to repair - uncommon parts - unique parts.

Couldn't Buy a WORSE Car!!!!
By wvbabygirlsam

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my car used first mistake there, it had 60,000 miles on it once it hit 65,000 or 70,000 miles everything started going wrong! My engine needed new parts, my gas gauge doesn't work, my fuel pump went bad, and the headlights fog up really bad. My car also has idling problem, it's an automatic and it stalls out at stop lights, stop signs, or even when you hit the brakes a little hard! I will never own another older Ford ever! I paid 3,000 for it, and paid 8 months of repair bills = 6,000 dollars worth. Now I'm looking at a trade in value of no more than 1,200 dollars! So if you're thinking about getting this car don't! For your wallets safety.

Favorite Features

the way it rides

Suggested Improvements

just about everything mechanical

Could be much better
By Nita

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my car in 2001. Loved it at first ran great for about 3 years not too many problems. Mid Dec. I did my routine checking of fluids all was great everything good mid Jan. the car just quit I had to replace the engine it had froze up. The mechanic said it was out of oil, but I had no leaks. I fixed that and less than a year later my transmission started going, replace that less than a year later same problem. I bought another Contour for parts and decided that it was cheaper to just use this one. Still the same! full of problems.

Favorite Features

I love the gas mileage, comfortable and does well when rearended. I was hit twice in the rear no problems. I love the way this car handles in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

I agree with others the cup holders are no good. The transmission and motors could have been built much better.