2000 Ford Contour SVT Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Contour-svt - Consumer Reviews

2000 Contour SVT Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L V6 5-speed Manual - (20 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Awesome car
By BlackSVT

2000 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

I looked for the perfect SVT Contour and found it after 1 1/2 years. I could not be happier with it.

Favorite Features

Performance, exhaust note (sounds exotic) leather, style

Suggested Improvements

fuel pump is a bad design, 17" wheels

SVTOUR It has been great
By svterriffic

2000 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my 00 svt after owning a 96 tour seV6. Only problem with 96, wheel bearings, thats why I bought a 00 SVtour. It has been a great experience. The paint(silver) quality is far better than expected, no chips on front end. Otherwise, I always use synthetic oil, doesn't burn any.Goodrich KDW tires go quick at 23k, I like the twisties. I will have this car a long time. The exhaust is exotic. The wheels are bend proof. Emergency brake needs lubrication yearly. Not much for aftermarket stuff. Zero faults. Keep intake clean, change coolant,tranny fluid, brake fluid, p/s fluid, filters available at Walmart and you will have zero problems with this car.

Favorite Features

Power, exhaust, handling. Headlights. Looks.Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Rear suspension, Handling overpowers it,not up to the task if the road is slightly uneven, bumpy. Ford, put an a/c switch for the defrost, I don't need it on everytime I use the defroster,let me save fuel when I can.Give me tire choices. goodrich and kumho are not a enough.

Happy Camper
By PM

2000 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

As close to a German sports sedan as you could get from a US maker. Wondeful car that few people recognize, but almost all compliment... especially after riding in it.

Favorite Features

140 mph observed top speed, with no discomfort. Handling and ride both superbe.

Suggested Improvements

Better trim bits. No decontenting. 17' wheels. More front and rear head room, more rear seat leg room.

4-door Fun
By TMyers

2000 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

Car has been wonderful for me. As of 08/01/03, it has just passed it's warranty period, and has only given me one check engine light (O2 Sensor) and an ABS Light (Wheel speed sensor)while I've had it. It is a real head turner, and performer. Sound system needs some work, and the squeaks and rattles get bad when the temp drops. If you can find one in good shape and low miles go for it, just whatch out for the water pump around 50,000 miles so I hear...

Favorite Features

Sweet Duratec 24V Engine, Looks, Sounds, Exclusivity, Fun-to-drive factor

Suggested Improvements

CUPHOLDERS! Squeaks and rattles, some build issues

What are you waiting for...
By wadeness

2000 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

It's a shame that Ford never continued with this saga of performance sedans. I have owned this car for 3 years now and when it comes to purchase a new one, this car is going into storage. She is so fun to drive and I don't think I could have gotten a better sedan for under $25. If you can score a used one, you owe it to yourself to only consider this Special Vehicle.

Favorite Features

5-speed manual only, so you're in control of that SVT 200HP Duratec engine.

Suggested Improvements

17" wheels, since the 16" tires made for this car only makes pricing and availability difficult. Replace audio immediately with a quality system. Watch the trunk for water leaks, as the pressure vents tend to leak if they are not properly sealed. Other than that, no complaints.

not worth buying
By juston

2000 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

in the 3 years i've owned this car, the motor has blown, i'm now working on a 3rd transmission, there's electrical issues and fog lights that blow out about every 3-4 months. the car makes excessive noise when driving and when you're on the interstate you hear nothing but road noise. its loud enough to the point you almost cant talk on a cell phone. this quite possibly could be one of the worst investments someone could ever make!!!

Favorite Features

the only thing i like about the car is the power.

Suggested Improvements

improvements needed are stronger gears in the transmission. a better designed motor that doesnt have oil flow issues. better attachment of the bumpers. the a/c needs to actually blow cold not cool.

Fun to Drive, but lots of little problem
By sdlundbe

2000 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

Michelle, the hum may be the idle air valve. When stuck open it makes a loud hmmmm noise. The car is fun to drive, excellent handling on even pavement. Loses grip on potholed/uneven surface. I have never had a powertrain problem. It has great sounds, especially when I replaced the tires with quieter and equally grippy Kumho tires. I have however had many "feature" problems. My moonroof stuck in the popped position 3 times, the foglights burning out regularly, every 6 months. The TSB on the dash cover. The rear suspension squeeks on cold days. The stock radio was weak. The rear bumper fits poorly.

Favorite Features

The engine sounds is great. The handling is very good on smooth road. The radio sounds awesome now that I replaced it with all new speakers, head unit and a nice sub.

Suggested Improvements

Better fit and finish, more power (stock it is very slow), needs to roll and lean less in the turns, needs to go on a diet and lose 100-200 lbs. Better stock radio.

Fun but still a Ford
By Angelsfire

2000 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my contour SVT in August of 2002. By far it is the fastest car I've owned (Prelude, Civic), and this is my favorite of the three. It's very comfortable, though not quite luxury, still very nice. The wheels and body kit do wonders for the look of the car, though I think I'll have to put either a new exuast, or at least tips. The best feature of the car is it's speed. It's not a big V8 sports car, but it gets up and goes. The suspension could be tighter, but that would take from the cars comfort.all in all I like the car.

Favorite Features

Speed, leather, looks

Suggested Improvements

Refine the reliabilty, and tighten suspension slightly

the most under-rated svt/car
By SPY

2000 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

i've had the car since it was brand new never had a problem i didn't cause (clutch/4 sets of tires). this car is fast and fun.it has beat plenty of cars that people think are fast.people think gt mustangs are fast, i've beat so many mustangs it's sad. i've gone head 2 head with M3's(95-99) S4's,svt cobras.CLK'S(which my mom owns and could'nt believe she got beat by a 6cyl ford.i had a man in a vette ask what was under the hood he was shocked when i told him.people might not believe me but my svt does 0-60 in 5.7 sec.1/4 mile in 14.3 thats fast for a 6cyl with about 220 horses (intake,chip,pulleys&susp.work 17 inch wheels 225/45 tires.

Favorite Features

handeling and car is unbelievable on the freeway.(160mph plus don't know exact needle was sitting there for a few seconds.

Suggested Improvements

none for the car.only with people who have not raced this car on or off the track.the more mods i do the more i feel the potential this car has.

SssssVvvvvTtttt
By Genevax

2000 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

I love my car. Power, performance, exhaust sound...Whew whoooo!!!! But, and it's a big but, I've had the in the shop 6-8 times since I've owned it with little thing here and there going wrong: O2 sensor replacement, fuel monitoring replacement, fluid sensor replacment, sunroof motor replacement, dashboard replacment.....I dread to think what it will be like at 50,000 miles as it only has 30,000 right now.

Favorite Features

Looks, sound and POWER

Suggested Improvements

I understand that the Contours were shortchanged on quality parts & components. I wished I had done more homework before I bought it. Although I was an easy sell as soon as I heard the exhaust.