2000 Ford Contour SVT Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L V6 5-speed Manual - (20 reviews )
Still great after 8 years
By svt'er on 03/25/08 07:39 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

Ok - I bought this car 2/00, so I've had it a while. I drive hard, and went 115k before replacing the clutch. Other than a warped dash (fixed under warranty) and a foghorn sound (web showed me how to fix), I have had no real issues with this car. It's still a very solid and reliable performer, and very fun to drive. Yeah, I get made fun of a lot for driving a Contour, but every time I throw it into a turn or hear the exhaust note when I gun it, I still grin (although don't get into the SVT after test driving the new M3 and expect to still feel impressed). Still a great buy if you ask me -- especially considering that you don't see yourself coming and going everyday.

2000 SVT Contour
By ADS on 03/13/08 06:22 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

Great car, fun to drive, good looking, rare and best of all a great value. A very European sports sedan "made in USA". Not terribly fast or macho, but an excellent handling car in the tradition of BMW but at a fraction of the price. And the exhaust note is perfect, a nice burble at cruise and a snarl when used hard. Oh, and good gas mileage!

My 2000 SVT
By Mark's SVT on 09/18/07 11:34 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

I love the way the car looks, and the way it handles, and runs most of the time. Have had some very expensive repair bills however. Needed to fix timing belt tensioner, ended up getting valve job, new head gasket, etc. Also rusting on roof along the rubber channel. Fuel pump acted up when gas was below 3/4 full. When accelerating would hesitate, but when tank full ran like a bat out of h! Replaced original KDW tires at 25000, terrible noise! Since then, other tires are much better. Overall, the car still looks great, the leather is starting to look a little tired, but it's real quick and take the curves like a champ. Wife has a 2004 Jetta GLI (6 cyl),fast, but handling not there.

Bargain Fun Car
By Al on 07/27/07 20:34 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

The SVT Contour is one of the great performance sedan bargains on the used market. European feel and handling, domestic parts prices and reliability, at a low price. Fuel economy is great, especially on the highway, and if you are at all conservative around town. Quick but not super fast by today's standards, I won't be racing anyone so it's plenty fast. I was looking for a sporty everyday driver with track day potential, seriously considered a similar vintage BMW 3 series, but the SVT is half the price.

All bark! No bite!
By jessi on 04/23/07 20:47 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

I fell in love with this car because of engine growl. Unfortunately the engine is weak, especially with the A/C on. Problems with sunroof closing and rear suspension. Clutch and gearshift are long throws. Both hinder performance greatly. Cheap materials on dashboard and doors. Various interior rattles, ugly green dashboard lights. Radio stinks.

Auto-X made Easy!
By RobsCSVT515 on 03/27/07 12:41 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have been waiting for a car like this all of my life. I too had to deal with replacing the fuel pump and the stock stereo that does not play CD-Rs. But I went to autocross school this past weekend with it and ROCKED! My first race day I took home a second place trophy. If you want an original, not cookie cutter, sport sedan, get your hands on one if you can. The most enjoyable car I have EVER owned!

Love the Contour
By pjefferson22 on 02/21/07 19:16 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

I was kind of skeptical when I bought this car. I just recently before totaled my 96 Mustang GT. I loved that car and it broke my heart to have to purchase another vehicle. The Mustang was paid for and with being assigned risk I knew that I couldn't finance a Mustang and afford the insurance on it as well. I had seen this 2000 Contour SVT sitting on the lot at my local Ford dealership for a couple weeks. Very sharp looking car. Custom wheels, tinted windows, system, sunroof, leather interior....the whole 9 yards. So I decided to go see what they were asking for it. Didn't think I would like a 4 door. I signed the papers that day and I'm still driving it. It was love at first drive. It's awesome.

2000 SVT Contour
By sdlundbe2174 on 12/17/04 14:56 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car is fun to drive. I have autocrossed and taken it to a road course. The steering is awesome, the torque build up is linear, same with the brakes, they don't surprise you by doing something you did not expect or ask them to do, and they respond to your input quickly. The exhaust note sounds great, even better when combined with a Cold Air intake. The car does have issues though. I have had to replace the moonroof motor 3 times, fuel pump, front supension components, fog lights burn out all the time, lack of replacement OEM size tires (need to upgrade to 17" rims/tires if you want a good selection), and others issues I have forgotten about.

Great Car
By nicobra50 on 10/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is truely a great "drivers" car, handles so well stock, and it just has that certain look. It is a true sleeper too, hardly anyone knows what the SVT Contour is, so it makes it that much more special.

2000 CSVT
By epattonm on 04/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

The car is an absolute joy to be in. It's very responsive and handles well. It looks good, and I have not had any problems with it other than basic maintence. The engineering on it allows one to work on the car him/herself without much difficulty. The Ford Contour SVT is an overall great product, and pleasant experience.