Used 1999 Ford Contour SVT Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Contour-svt - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Contour SVT Sedan

Base 2.5L V6 5-speed Manual - (30 reviews )

ford torus 1999
By Tulsi

1999 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

Mostly reliable, once a year needs repair/maintenance, twice tuneup and oil change

Favorite Features

small easy to park any where

Suggested Improvements

may need tune up

What a ride!
By Mark

1999 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

My experience over the 10 years that I owned my SVT was very positive. In 115,000 miles the only repair costs that I had was the water pump needed to be replaced and the radio wiring needed to be repaired, both of which were under $750.00 combined. Otherwise, this was a very reliable car that was a kick to drive! Almost all the miles I put on it were city driving (stop/start/potholes,etc..) and the engine was as good the day I sold it as it was the day I test drove it at the Ford dealership. I just bought a 2008 Ford Taurus and I will buy another Ford when it comes time to move onto the next. I have several friends with foreign cars that had a lot more trouble than I ever did with my Contour

Favorite Features

Engine, handling, steering, sound, appearance, reliability

Suggested Improvements

Shift smoothness, plastic dash, ground effects attachment

1999 Contour SVT
By anthonyangle0719

1999 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

I'm not sure about the previous owner of this car, I purchased it with 97000 miles on it. It now has 117000, I have dropped the tranny in this car 3 times in this time. When I bought it, 2 days later 3rd gear was found to be chipped and caused a grinding when shifting into it. Following that the shift control assembly failed, had that replaced for $600.00 from ford. Just recently the differential blew up! There are now 2 small holes in the transmission housing and finding a new differential or even an aftermarket lsd is not cheap by any means. Again I don't know how the car was driven or taken car of but it has caused me nothing but large problems since I bought it.

Favorite Features

The exhaust note when utilizing rpm range without dual rear mufflers. The surprising pull through 1st and 2nd gear. Motor reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Complete driveline! Front cup holders, not too many aftermarket performance items, and poor stock car audio.

My heart breaks for the Contour SVT
By My Heart Breaks

1999 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

My heart breaks for this car because it is truly fun to drive. I've put Borla exhaust on it with chrome tips and custom built cold air intake. It sounds great at low and high RPM. The turning capability is sensational, very responsive. Plus, it rides smooth at high speeds. But, almost everything that can go wrong on a car went wrong on this car. Most unrelieble car ever mad in fact. Since ive owned this car the linkage cable snapped when downshifting, the clutch went at about 15,000, the ant motor went, trunk leaks, O2 sensor replace numerous times, the highlights fogged up, radio turns on and off randomly, water pump dead, terrible gas mileage and most likely the worst AC unit ever replace 5X

Favorite Features

Fun driver

Suggested Improvements

Should have been made buy a foriegn car company instead of good old unreliable Ford.

Two transmissions later...
By devilsadvocate

1999 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

Sure this car handles well, looks good and sounds good but I had to buy a new transmission around 50K miles then another around 65K miles. The interior was the also falling apart starting with the dash. It warped so wildly we had to remove the windshield to epoxy the dash back on. All the transmission work cost us around $6,000. Over all this car is money pit. If you buy one get it for cheap.

Favorite Features

Performance, economy, exhaust note and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

The transmission is horrible. Not only that, but if you cruise around 80mph you're doing nearly 4K rpm - horrible gas mileage after 4K rpm. Sixth gear would have been nice.