Used 1998 Ford Contour SVT Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Contour SVT - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L V6 5-speed Manual - (42 reviews )

its a great car!
By munky1012002

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

this car is sweet. I make excuses to go drive my car now. I worked for BMW and thhis car has performance that compares with the 325 and better than a 318. I highly reccomend this car.

exhaust, interior, exterior , handling, 24 valves, pretty good gass mileage

stereo isnt too great

A true partner for the road and track
By svtcarboy

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

This car gave me 185,228 miles of devoted service before passing into the automotive afterworld. Every mile was a pure pleasure, whether on the road or on the track. Great for long trips, aggressive driving, racing, and the daily commute. I could not ask for anything more of a car. Access is great, even if the rear is a little tight. My 90+ year old grandma always commented how easy the car was to enter/exit.

The whole driving experience. Ride, acceleration, handling, comfort.

Have Ford build them again. A black interior and a power passenger seat would be nice, but the blue was distinctive, and price was important.

SVT Contour is great
By HaroldIV

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

I bought this 1998 SVT Contuor in 2003 after always wanting one. This car does not dissapoint. It is certainly a drivers car. Not the fastest at drags, but it will outdo most anything when it comes to finesse and balance. I am impressed there are no rattles or shakes at 60K miles. Surprisingly solid. I would recommend buying one used over many of the new sports sedans of today.

The transmission is great and I love the sound of the exhaust. The engine is small and gets great mileage as long as you dont get on it. I like the plain looks that keep me undercover. Its nice to have 4-doors too.

A little more power would be nice and a six speed would have been awsome. I find myself looking for another gear on the freeway. Better stereo setup of course, but nothing an aftermarket cant fix. I don't understand the dark blue interior color, but most thinks its black.

svt....god damn..thats nice
By chims

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

This car is awesome, i have been that person who has been bad talking ford for over five years now. But once i saw this car i fell in love. For the price one can't go wrong. The interior has every creature comfort. Everything feels solid, and the performance is out of this world, very un FORD like.

sound of the exhaust, handling, skirts, and the ass kicking performance

none, its a sprots car, crapy gas mileage is expected, and who needs cup holders,if you have the time to sit and drink coffee than this isnt the car for you, try the taurus its a five speed that tears the road like none other.

this car sucks all the way around
By loretta

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from car max. It shuts itself off when I am driving it. Ford won't fix it or even admit that it has a problem. I even wrote to Ford twice and they blew me off. The check engine light comes on all the time for no reason. I just ignore it, now. It does NOT come on when the car shuts itself off. The Ford dealer implied that since I am female, I don't know how to drive standard shift cars. I have been driving standard shift for 30 years. I can't think of one good thing to say about this car. I'm going back to Honda

Ford needs to take responsibility for the cars it makes.

• SUV