1998 Ford Contour SVT Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L V6 5-speed Manual - (42 reviews )
crash test dummy
By SVT-less on 07/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

I owned my SVT contour for a little over 5 months before a hideous accident took her away from me. I rear ended a stalled car at about 60 mph. Ouch... However I can not say enough about the engineers over at Ford's SVT dept. The performance and handling was perfectly matched to the safty features. I totaled mine but crave another. As a living testament to the safty and outstanding ride, I would suggest my 98 SVT over most German made sedans today.

A Contour in name only....
By atomic918 on 06/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have owed my SVT for 4+ years. Despite (stupidly) overpaying for the car (sleazy, high-pressure dealer) I have thouroughly enjoyed it. It has enough power to press and still looks good enough to turn heads 5 years later. Handeling is superb. There have been a few minor problems with the moonroof and driver seat, but other than that the car has been trouble free. Snow tires are necessary in the winter.

Fun and useful
By CSVT on 03/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

Overall one of the most underated cars out there speed, handling, comfort, its got it all... With the efficiency of four doors and the speed of a sport coupe it's great. Definatly better looking than all the sport hatches. Only real problem is the annoying radio and cup holders, makes one wonder what kind of cups Ford uses to test them. Back seat is a little small for road- trips with 4 passengers.

excellent
By Veronica on 02/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 2 years now and I love it. I haven't had any problems with it at all. I have a 2 year old son and it is great for him too. This car has excellent design and it just an all around car

By sk8erb84 on 01/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car is so much fun to drive, it takes the corners like its on a track. I love this car ever since the day i frist drove it. It is a great starter car for that teenager looking for a sports car.

17 yr. old kid
By Big7 on 11/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

I just recently purchased the Contour S.V.T. and was amazed with its performance... this car is unknown and under rated... many of my friends and even me didn't know that ford Special Vehicle Team made the Contour. Over all its a great car.

Love it !!!!!!!! Better than Prelude !
By svt-98 on 10/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

Hard to understand why this vehicle had 4 doors when it runs and handles like it should have 2. Very nice package. Bettr than the V-tec 94 Prelude we have.

Ford contour svt
By Veronica Hayes on 09/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

This has to be one of the best cars I have ever had. This vehilce is comfortable and always reliable. I have had it for alittle over a year and I don;t want to get rid of it. I have been searching for more to locate, but i cannot find any. This car is unique and it is nice to have a car that is fast, reliable, comfortable, and everyone doesn't have around town. Thank you ford!!

unknown, unappreciated, under-rated...
By zerosvt on 09/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

The engine loves to be revved and sounds wonderful while doing it. The shifter action and handling are the best from any fwd American car yet. Sure, its low 15 second 1/4 mile time is respectable, but this car's strong points are its handling and highway cruising abilities. Not that it's slow in a drag race either; just drag racing wasn't its intent. The Contour SVT was easily the best handling fwd sport sedan ever available in America until the recent Mazda Protégé, but still beats that car in acceleration. The car is not perfect, but it does what it was made for very well.

Still Great Fun!
By Christopher Johnston on 09/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for four years now and it continues to find new ways to put a big smile on my face! The great thing is I went from a single guy to a married-with-two-kids guy in the interim and I didn't have to give up the sports car! There's nothing like smoking 3-Series BMW's with your "lowly" Ford with your two-year old daughter screaming "wheeee" in the back. Great car, great drive, yeah the stereo was a pain but a quick aftermarket fix put an end to that.