Used 1998 Ford Contour SVT Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Contour-svt - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L V6 5-speed Manual - (42 reviews )

Fun simple car
By Contour SVT Lover

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

Bought the car with 84,000 miles and love it. Fun, quick & fast. Can't beat this car for the value and what it offers in the area of performance. Very simple interior and controls, leather is nice, fold down seat a plus. I bought this car to have a simple and fun sports sedan. I would recommend the Contour SVT to any one who wants a fun car to drive without the troubles of long import repair issues. All part are in stock and get to the mechanic that day. The lug pattern is obscure and hard to find wheels for it.

Favorite Features

Engine, handling, without the contour sail panels no one knows what type of car it is, I get asked often "what is that?".

Suggested Improvements

Dampen road noise, arm rest for long drives.

If you can find one get one
By SVTbeliever

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

I found this car looking for a used vehicle in the 2-3k range. This car was listed for $2999 on a used Honda lot. The manager thought it was a regular Contour model and I snatched it up after the test drive. It had over 160k miles on it when I bought it, but ran like a new car. I wasn't sure when looking at it from the outside, but when I say in the driver's seat I felt at home. I have never had as much fun driving any other car. This isn't the fastest car, or prettiest car. This is a car that will give you extreme value and enjoyment no matter what type of driving you do. Not built as a speed machine, but can accelerate easily through winding roads. Great tires are a MUST!

Favorite Features

Engine growl, leather seats. This car was made with only a manual transmission, as any sport car should. I drive this car as fast as I feel safe to in city traffic and still get over 22 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Highway mileage would be better if the 5th gear were stretched a bit. Small issues with quality used in switches and the like...typical Ford problems. Other than that, Ford can stand proud in manufacturing this car.

Everything I Wanted and More
By Mr.Jinks

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

You can't beat the burble this engine produces! Between the intake and the exhaust, this has to be the sweetest sounding stock engine around. With the addition of a SuperChip and a K&N filter, it's almost perfect. It's not the quickest off the line due to it's front drive configuration, but this car isn't about drag racing - it's about driving. It handles like it's on rails and stops on a nickel (not quite a dime!). I couldn't be happier. Especially considering I got it 4 years old with 14k miles on it!

Favorite Features

Wonderful engine sounds. The rush as the tachometer passes 3500.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger clutch, limited slip differential, different interior color choice.

Power and Glory
By jack1

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

The price is great for a used one; make sure you replace your water pump right away, the car is great except for that maintenance issue. Very very fast, sounds sweet and seats have thick leather and feel grippy. Fantastic mileage on such a fast car. Everyone talks about this car when you take it somewhere, it looks awesome. Does have some squeaks at 76k miles, handling is very good and dependant on quality of tires. Upgrade or use factory parts with maintenance and not discount parts and you will not experience issues like others in these reviews. Also who cares about cupholders, if this is a big issue for you buy a minivan not an SVT.This is a 4 door mustang GT. Well executed car by SVT.

Favorite Features

Leather interior, engine performance, body panels and looks and dual exhaust

Suggested Improvements

Stronger transmission, more power in engine (it has plenty but I want even more), Continue to make this fine car.

Very Balanced Car
By csvt

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

I bought the car from a guy who had just put a new engine in it after the water pump blew at 63,000 miles. It runs like a champ. Exhaust sound is nice. Interior is very nice. Prior owner also had new clutch put in; he should have had the shifter forks and synchros done as well since I had to do that just recently. If you have transmission work done get it all done as labor is the killer for transmission work, as the parts aren't that much. Gets great mileage and is an awesome car in terms of speed. Very easy to go fast in this car. Great car for the $7500 I paid for it, plus my engine is under warranty still! I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Favorite Features

Power of the engine, great pul,l 25 mpg city. Great value for the money. Keeps alighnment dead on spec after 12,000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

Need larger trunk. Trunk should pop open. Better engineered water pump. Stronger transmission. Better quality headlight lens (replacements are $125 each). Better handling - (seems average, may be a function of the no name tires on it). Power passenger seat.