1998 Ford Contour SVT - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L V6 5-speed Manual - (42 reviews )
its a great car!
By munky1012002 on 08/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

this car is sweet. I make excuses to go drive my car now. I worked for BMW and thhis car has performance that compares with the 325 and better than a 318. I highly reccomend this car.

A true partner for the road and track
By svtcarboy on 08/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

This car gave me 185,228 miles of devoted service before passing into the automotive afterworld. Every mile was a pure pleasure, whether on the road or on the track. Great for long trips, aggressive driving, racing, and the daily commute. I could not ask for anything more of a car. Access is great, even if the rear is a little tight. My 90+ year old grandma always commented how easy the car was to enter/exit.

SVT Contour is great
By HaroldIV on 05/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

I bought this 1998 SVT Contuor in 2003 after always wanting one. This car does not dissapoint. It is certainly a drivers car. Not the fastest at drags, but it will outdo most anything when it comes to finesse and balance. I am impressed there are no rattles or shakes at 60K miles. Surprisingly solid. I would recommend buying one used over many of the new sports sedans of today.

svt....god damn..thats nice
By chims on 04/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

This car is awesome, i have been that person who has been bad talking ford for over five years now. But once i saw this car i fell in love. For the price one can't go wrong. The interior has every creature comfort. Everything feels solid, and the performance is out of this world, very un FORD like.

this car sucks all the way around
By loretta on 04/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from car max. It shuts itself off when I am driving it. Ford won't fix it or even admit that it has a problem. I even wrote to Ford twice and they blew me off. The check engine light comes on all the time for no reason. I just ignore it, now. It does NOT come on when the car shuts itself off. The Ford dealer implied that since I am female, I don't know how to drive standard shift cars. I have been driving standard shift for 30 years. I can't think of one good thing to say about this car. I'm going back to Honda

I still love this car
By CDuncan on 02/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in 1998 and still can't find anything new I like better. It is the best shifting car I've ever driven. The engine and exhaust make noises under throttle that have you smiling ear to ear.I will mention the car's one flaw, the differential is not strong enough to take the horsepower and torque. I had to replace mine and I went with an aftermarket torsion type differential and the car is even more fun to drive. I recommend this as a fun and practical everyday car. There is nothing like just taking it for a good drive on a twisty road.

I will miss this car...
By Fat-boy on 12/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

I had owned my SVT Contour (1998 coreador red) for nearly 4 years, having bought it used in 1999. Sadly, the car went up in flames about a week ago. In a fire possibly related to leaking power steering fluid, this thing lit up like a roman candle; fortunately no one was hurt. Anyway, with the exception of the above noted issue, these cars are fairly reliable, and of course are blessed with amazing handling.

Better than really good, but not perfect
By Jesse A on 12/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

Title says it all

This car is awesome
By Meiden on 11/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

In reading other reviews of the Contour, it becomes evident that the owners of higher level Contours (SVT and SE/SE sport) are far more pleased with their cars. For me, the SVT was an obvious choice due to its ground effects with wire mesh, standard leather seats, strictly 5-speed transmission, and last but definitely not least, the amazing sound that this car lets out. Sometimes I find myself turning the radio off to listen to my exhaust. Once the car hits 3500 RPM's, you can hear and feel the power that the Duratec 2.5 High Output produces.

Fast, Fun, and Fantastic Value!
By fast&faster on 08/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

Forget what you think you know about the Ford Contour. The Contour SVT rivals BMW 3 Series in handling, and I personally have blown a few away through the twisty curves. An understated outward appearance makes it even more fun!