Used 1998 Ford Contour SVT Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Contour-svt - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Contour SVT

Base 2.5L V6 5-speed Manual - (42 reviews )

I love my baby
By i love my baby

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

When I bought this wonderful car about 3 years ago I imediately fell in love with the body style, the power, the performance, and it's confortable. My dads friend was selling the car and I wanted it the first minute I saw it cause I didn't want him to change his mind. So if you can get one of these beautiful cars then I would consider it.

Favorite Features

Everything!

Suggested Improvements

I would want to be able to modify it a little more, and it could have a little more horses under the hood (about 50 more) and if Ford could make something like this again!

I love this car
By csvtjohnga

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

This car is the ultimate sleeper. I love walking outside to jump in my SVT Contour for work everyday. I've won many small town car shows with it and placed in the bigger car shows such as Nopi and FFW. Its my DD and hasn't left me stranded. 152,000 on the clock and still runnin' strong!

Favorite Features

The secondaries, brakes, interior, all around performance.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger engine, different interior color. Stronger transaxle.

Fun to drive... when it worked!
By Alex

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

I did not keep this car for long. I loved it when I bought it, and I still loved it when I sold it 2 weeks ago. The performance didn't disappoint, trust me, unless you are used to a huge V8, this car won't. The exhaust burble sounded great, but it couldn't make up for the downfalls. In 15,000 miles I had to replace numerous items that were not wear items at all. The seats got lots of wear in them in the time that I owned the car, even though I conditioned them every other week. The last straw was the trunk. It had a leak that I couldn't get to stop, so I decided to cut my losses and sell it while I was still ahead... or behind!

Favorite Features

Exhaust burble, power driver's seat, 5 speed, sleeper styling, V8 power from a small V6, handling.

Suggested Improvements

Make cars that don't let the outside in! Also, better quality leather and plastics would be nice. The headlights shouldn't fog up so much. And if there were a little bit better ground clearance, I wouldn't have shaved off so much of the ground effects on driveways and stuff!

The worst car I ever owned
By Coolsvt

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

Such a lie (quality is job one) More like sick car of the century! I have had a miss for 6 months and have replaced every major component on this car - from the brakes to the fuel pump and the coil (3 times). It has an overheating issue that could be a head gasket and have been stranded at least 3 times. I have the SVT model that is great but do not buy unless you are rich. I had to join a support forum just to keep sane. All else aside - if I could just find the miss it would be good.

Favorite Features

The seats and the handling.

Suggested Improvements

Better engine testing for reliability and more active recalls.

A great value
By Jerry

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

I love the sound this car's engine makes during hard acceleration! Just spent $600 on a new water pump (an inherent Ford weakness) and an oxygen sensor, but most of that was labor because every thing's shoehorned inside the car. Bought it with 64,000 miles in perfect condition, but I've skinned it up, mostly on steep driveways.

Favorite Features

Easy, logical controls.Tasteful badges. Stealth factor.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel mileage could be better. Even with new O2 sensor, nowhere near 20 mpg town or 29 on the highway, for that matter.