1998 Ford Contour SVT - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L V6 5-speed Manual - (42 reviews )
I love my baby
By i love my baby on 06/12/07 18:59 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

When I bought this wonderful car about 3 years ago I imediately fell in love with the body style, the power, the performance, and it's confortable. My dads friend was selling the car and I wanted it the first minute I saw it cause I didn't want him to change his mind. So if you can get one of these beautiful cars then I would consider it.

I love this car
By csvtjohnga on 04/10/07 14:07 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

This car is the ultimate sleeper. I love walking outside to jump in my SVT Contour for work everyday. I've won many small town car shows with it and placed in the bigger car shows such as Nopi and FFW. Its my DD and hasn't left me stranded. 152,000 on the clock and still runnin' strong!

Fun to drive... when it worked!
By Alex on 03/30/07 20:13 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

I did not keep this car for long. I loved it when I bought it, and I still loved it when I sold it 2 weeks ago. The performance didn't disappoint, trust me, unless you are used to a huge V8, this car won't. The exhaust burble sounded great, but it couldn't make up for the downfalls. In 15,000 miles I had to replace numerous items that were not wear items at all. The seats got lots of wear in them in the time that I owned the car, even though I conditioned them every other week. The last straw was the trunk. It had a leak that I couldn't get to stop, so I decided to cut my losses and sell it while I was still ahead... or behind!

The worst car I ever owned
By Coolsvt on 03/15/07 19:24 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

Such a lie (quality is job one) More like sick car of the century! I have had a miss for 6 months and have replaced every major component on this car - from the brakes to the fuel pump and the coil (3 times). It has an overheating issue that could be a head gasket and have been stranded at least 3 times. I have the SVT model that is great but do not buy unless you are rich. I had to join a support forum just to keep sane. All else aside - if I could just find the miss it would be good.

A great value
By Jerry on 10/04/06 22:40 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

I love the sound this car's engine makes during hard acceleration! Just spent $600 on a new water pump (an inherent Ford weakness) and an oxygen sensor, but most of that was labor because every thing's shoehorned inside the car. Bought it with 64,000 miles in perfect condition, but I've skinned it up, mostly on steep driveways.

Fun simple car
By Contour SVT Lover on 07/15/06 14:58 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

Bought the car with 84,000 miles and love it. Fun, quick & fast. Can't beat this car for the value and what it offers in the area of performance. Very simple interior and controls, leather is nice, fold down seat a plus. I bought this car to have a simple and fun sports sedan. I would recommend the Contour SVT to any one who wants a fun car to drive without the troubles of long import repair issues. All part are in stock and get to the mechanic that day. The lug pattern is obscure and hard to find wheels for it.

If you can find one get one
By SVTbeliever on 04/14/06 14:07 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

I found this car looking for a used vehicle in the 2-3k range. This car was listed for $2999 on a used Honda lot. The manager thought it was a regular Contour model and I snatched it up after the test drive. It had over 160k miles on it when I bought it, but ran like a new car. I wasn't sure when looking at it from the outside, but when I say in the driver's seat I felt at home. I have never had as much fun driving any other car. This isn't the fastest car, or prettiest car. This is a car that will give you extreme value and enjoyment no matter what type of driving you do. Not built as a speed machine, but can accelerate easily through winding roads. Great tires are a MUST!

Everything I Wanted and More
By Mr.Jinks on 10/18/05 18:42 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

You can't beat the burble this engine produces! Between the intake and the exhaust, this has to be the sweetest sounding stock engine around. With the addition of a SuperChip and a K&N filter, it's almost perfect. It's not the quickest off the line due to it's front drive configuration, but this car isn't about drag racing - it's about driving. It handles like it's on rails and stops on a nickel (not quite a dime!). I couldn't be happier. Especially considering I got it 4 years old with 14k miles on it!

Power and Glory
By jack1 on 12/27/04 09:16 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

The price is great for a used one; make sure you replace your water pump right away, the car is great except for that maintenance issue. Very very fast, sounds sweet and seats have thick leather and feel grippy. Fantastic mileage on such a fast car. Everyone talks about this car when you take it somewhere, it looks awesome. Does have some squeaks at 76k miles, handling is very good and dependant on quality of tires. Upgrade or use factory parts with maintenance and not discount parts and you will not experience issues like others in these reviews. Also who cares about cupholders, if this is a big issue for you buy a minivan not an SVT.This is a 4 door mustang GT. Well executed car by SVT.

Very Balanced Car
By csvt on 11/25/04 03:30 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

I bought the car from a guy who had just put a new engine in it after the water pump blew at 63,000 miles. It runs like a champ. Exhaust sound is nice. Interior is very nice. Prior owner also had new clutch put in; he should have had the shifter forks and synchros done as well since I had to do that just recently. If you have transmission work done get it all done as labor is the killer for transmission work, as the parts aren't that much. Gets great mileage and is an awesome car in terms of speed. Very easy to go fast in this car. Great car for the $7500 I paid for it, plus my engine is under warranty still! I would buy another one in a heartbeat.