Used 1998 Ford Contour SVT Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Contour-svt - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Contour SVT Sedan

Base 2.5L V6 5-speed Manual - (42 reviews )

Still gets asked about
By Cap

1998 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

Rare car that people still ask me about. Enthusiasts "in the know" are aware of what this car is and what "SVT" means. Still handles like a dream and the growl of the V6 still brings a smile to my face. Remarkably, it has held up better than I thought it would. I have had minimal mechanical problems with the car. The trunk leaks and the headlights have begun to leak, as well. I replaced the water pump as a preventative measure, but everything else has held up very well. Paint still looks good and leather has held up very well. Small back seat and small buttons on radio are interior negatives, but give me half an hour with this car on some twisties, and nothing else matters.

Favorite Features

Sweet engine. Exceptional handling. Rarity. Mine has been remarkably reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Small rear seat. Better radio. Fuel economy is so-so.

It's ok
By daritari

1998 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

Acceleration is great. Engine seems to be reliable, but who knows. The biggest problem I have had with this car is replacing the radiator. With it inside the front support, I had to contract with a local shop to get do it myself. Also, fuel filter bracket is terrible. After only one Wisconsin Winter, it was rusted to pieces. Suspension is nicely tuned, but my Kia out drives it. Even the 2.5L V6 doesn't hold a candle to my 1.8L 4- popper.

Favorite Features

The suspension. It handles well.

Suggested Improvements

A leaner fuel system would be better. It may rob the performances just some, but I would get more than 250mi out of a tank of gas.

A Great Running Vehicle
By Carl

1998 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

Purchased used. It was a one-owner car with 37,000 miles on it when I bought it. I had to get the sunroof repaired. The water pump went bad around 75,000 miles. Easy to replace, it only cost me $65.00 and two hours of my time. I had an O2 sensor go bad around 60,000 miles. Again around $80 and a hour to repair. I have had no other problems with the vehicle

Favorite Features

Engine performance. Solid feel and handling. Good fuel economy for a performance car 25 MPG city and 33 hwy. Piercing high beams that light up the road.

Suggested Improvements

Better sound system. A higher 5th gear to allow lower engine RPM.

1998 Contour SVT
By Tony n Astoria

1998 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my 10 year old C-SVT two weeks ago and every time I pull out of first gear that gitty grin on my face appears. Talk about cheap thrills! For around 3,000 bucks and the performance you get, it has to be one of the most overlooked cars around, albeit you can find one. Imagine if a Mustang GT and a Miata had a kid, the result would be a Contour SVT. It begs to be redlined, and you'll be there before you know it. The growl out of the Duratec engine is the sweetest sound I ever heard in a V6 and the best handling FWD I've ever drove. I know it's not perfect, but what car is? I know I'll spend money for a water pump, 02 sensor, fuel pump, etc. but it's well worth the price of admission.

Favorite Features

Driving position. Smooth strong engine, European handling. Visiblity, linear launches. Rarity, the growl that lets people know it's not your Mommy's Contour. Makes this 35 yr old feel like 18 again.

Suggested Improvements

Needs 91 octane. Some quality issues. Hard for mechanics to lift the car with the side skirts/spoilers. Cup holders are more like a place to put your house keys. Not enough interior storage. Next build a time machine so I can go back to 2000 and smack the person who decided not to make it anymore.

The Other Girlfriend, the Car
By D.No

1998 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

I was out looking for a 6 cylinder manual shift which at the time it seemed none was making. I had become frustrated w/4 cylinders losing power going up steep grade climbs. I wanted my next car to have some umph! I went to Toyota, Chevy, Honda and Chrysler.....nothing! I stopped in at Ford on a whim and saw the SVT on the floor. A salesmen came up and asked if want to take a demo for a test drive . I told him he could drive and show me what the car could do. We pull out the lot, went up on the freeway (315)and he pinned my ears back from the ramp to Ohio State's campus and back. As we were pulling back into the lot the salesman asked my impressions, I asked where I signed. 11yrs and going

Favorite Features

Number 1, "Get Up and Go- Go" the engine has, forget about zoom zoom that Mazda talks. 2 The look, it says I might not be as fast as my Mustang brother, but I'll give you a run for the money baby!

Suggested Improvements

Price and availability of parts, getting them is like getting repairs on a BMW. You can only get them from Ford, so why are the prices so high? Lastly Ford stopped making them just as everyone was catching onto the new kid on the block. Bring it back!