1998 Ford Contour SVT Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L V6 5-speed Manual - (42 reviews )
Still gets asked about
By Cap on 03/07/10 08:09 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

Rare car that people still ask me about. Enthusiasts "in the know" are aware of what this car is and what "SVT" means. Still handles like a dream and the growl of the V6 still brings a smile to my face. Remarkably, it has held up better than I thought it would. I have had minimal mechanical problems with the car. The trunk leaks and the headlights have begun to leak, as well. I replaced the water pump as a preventative measure, but everything else has held up very well. Paint still looks good and leather has held up very well. Small back seat and small buttons on radio are interior negatives, but give me half an hour with this car on some twisties, and nothing else matters.

It's ok
By daritari on 08/10/09 20:23 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

Acceleration is great. Engine seems to be reliable, but who knows. The biggest problem I have had with this car is replacing the radiator. With it inside the front support, I had to contract with a local shop to get do it myself. Also, fuel filter bracket is terrible. After only one Wisconsin Winter, it was rusted to pieces. Suspension is nicely tuned, but my Kia out drives it. Even the 2.5L V6 doesn't hold a candle to my 1.8L 4- popper.

A Great Running Vehicle
By Carl on 02/19/09 13:35 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

Purchased used. It was a one-owner car with 37,000 miles on it when I bought it. I had to get the sunroof repaired. The water pump went bad around 75,000 miles. Easy to replace, it only cost me $65.00 and two hours of my time. I had an O2 sensor go bad around 60,000 miles. Again around $80 and a hour to repair. I have had no other problems with the vehicle

1998 Contour SVT
By Tony n Astoria on 06/30/08 12:56 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my 10 year old C-SVT two weeks ago and every time I pull out of first gear that gitty grin on my face appears. Talk about cheap thrills! For around 3,000 bucks and the performance you get, it has to be one of the most overlooked cars around, albeit you can find one. Imagine if a Mustang GT and a Miata had a kid, the result would be a Contour SVT. It begs to be redlined, and you'll be there before you know it. The growl out of the Duratec engine is the sweetest sound I ever heard in a V6 and the best handling FWD I've ever drove. I know it's not perfect, but what car is? I know I'll spend money for a water pump, 02 sensor, fuel pump, etc. but it's well worth the price of admission.

The Other Girlfriend, the Car
By D.No on 05/20/08 09:08 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

I was out looking for a 6 cylinder manual shift which at the time it seemed none was making. I had become frustrated w/4 cylinders losing power going up steep grade climbs. I wanted my next car to have some umph! I went to Toyota, Chevy, Honda and Chrysler.....nothing! I stopped in at Ford on a whim and saw the SVT on the floor. A salesmen came up and asked if want to take a demo for a test drive . I told him he could drive and show me what the car could do. We pull out the lot, went up on the freeway (315)and he pinned my ears back from the ramp to Ohio State's campus and back. As we were pulling back into the lot the salesman asked my impressions, I asked where I signed. 11yrs and going

Close to being declared a lemon in Ca.
By devilsadvocate on 04/15/08 19:31 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

The SVT Contour left such a horrible impression on me, I am now writing this review seven years after owning one. My first mistake was buying a first gen specialty car. Problems became as persistent as the car was fun to drive. Leaking truck, upper reading light console broke, dash started to warp around 62K miles and the first of three transmissions was replaced at 64K miles by Ford dealership. A year later tranny goes out again: $1,800 at Amco. Two weeks later tranny fails again; Amco replaces for free under warranty. Ford denies mechanical failures are due to poor design. Maintenance costs would have yielded a moderately used BMW at the time.

Super Car
By Miguel on 03/08/08 17:48 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

We love the style of the Contour. Wish they would make a newer model. The driving aspect on a scale from 1-10 is a 10. I have no complaints. But one I wish I would've bought one sooner. Ford Motor Company needs to rethink there decision about not making anymore. I would buy new if they would build more. The backspace is more than adequate. We have no problems & my brother in law is 6"8 & he does not complain about the back seat.

One of a kind
By 5.0be2slo on 02/26/08 09:30 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

I fell in love with this model when I worked at a Ford dealership in 1998. I am a family man and could not justify the price of a new one so I put it out of my mind. Last year I saw a nice one on E-bay and placed a bid for $2700. Not only was that the set minimum but 30 minutes later I was the proud owner! I drove 150 miles to pick it up and fell in love all over again! The growl of the engine, the smooth shifting, the elegant interior and the white face gauges. I had it tuned up this year...ouch! It has been problem free and the most fun car I have ever owned. Now I am practical (a 4 door) and cool (so my kids say). When you start this baby and she growls at you, she makes you growl back.

Blast to own
By Steven on 12/08/07 08:39 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

Ford's SVT group did a great job with this car. I've owned this car for nearly 10 years and would easily do it all over again. Sure, I've done a few light mods but it is still my daily driver as well as track car (same tires - Potenza S-03 Pole Position). And in winter, fitted with snow tires (since I have summer high performance tires), beats out 95% of SUVs.

Great car!
By CSVT.UA.SHO on 07/16/07 20:57 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SVT Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car is a blast to drive. I have driven a handful of high performance vehicles and by far the Contour SVT has it all.

1 2 3 4 5 next »