2015 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Max Hybrid model:

C-Max is a great Prius killer!
By Joel H.

2015 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have now owned the C-Max for a month. I love it! I have been driving Fords for over 30 years! I'm a Ford fan, but I don't have complete brand loyalty. I do complete research before making a purchase.

Before purchasing the C-Max, we test drove a Prius V. We found that the Prius V had decent acceleration at speeds below 55, but at highway speeds, the acceleration was very lacking. Then, I test drove the C-Max. I was very impressed! I quickly discovered that we didn't have to sacrifice highway speed acceleration to drive a hybrid vehicle. At that point, counted the Toyota out, because it was not a great value at several thousand more dollars than the Ford. The Ford C-Max provides great features for the price, but just a little less room than the Prius V. We are ecstatic, because we're going from 17 mpg in our old vehicle, to at least 37 mpg. My friends comment on how the C-Max is very comfortable and quiet! They always want ME to drive when we go somewhere. Some of them comment on how it is too quiet, because they're not used to not hearing the engine running at stops, or at slow speeds. And that brings me to my next point: the transition from electric motor to the 2.0 engine is usually seamless. The only time I notice is when the engine starts immediately after I lift my foot from the brake, or when it starts when at idle because the battery is low.

Many people comment on the multimedia system. Although Ford's system isn't bad, it could be better. It takes way too long to get it to do what you need it to do. I don't like that you have to use preparatory commands, and then work your way up to do common tasks, like navigation. I would like it very much if I could touch the voice button, and say, "Go to Jose's Restaurant", or "Find Mexican restaurant". But, coming from a 2005 vehicle, it's much better than we had before. And yes, I do work in the tech industry. It's just that the capabilities of our smart phones are advancing more rapidly than that of our vehicles.

The bottom line is that I love driving the C-Max because of the sportier feel, the great MPG's, and the fact that we don't have to sacrifice just because we drive a hybrid vehicle!

Buyers beware
By Jake S

2015 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After getting the vehicle from the dealership, i had a feeling something wasn't right. I did not want to be the first to drive it, so a friend drove it home. I was advised of sluggishness and poor braking. Fast forward 10,000 miles, i was back in Ontario going home on route 7, and a rabbit ran in front of the vehicle, going only about 100kph. It cracked the bumper, dropped and broke the underpanel, and dislodged the power control unit. Many rolls of duct tape later i got it back running. I have since had problems with the battery, the engine, the abomidable braking performance (that requires me to downshift into low to stop any time soon) and the radio system. It is hit and miss on usb connectivity, the bluetooth system responds when not being used, and the audio system freezes at least four times a day trying to 'initialise' the usb system. At the time of this writing, i am disabled yet again with more of the under panel and insulation having fallen off. It has also been towed twice after blown tyres, as Ford forgot to put a spare tyre on the vehicle, requiring frequent tows. The dealership has been of no help whatsoever, and the fellow who conned me into the vehicle has since been fired. Currently trying to find someone to buy this from me and put it, and i out of our misery, at significant loss. The fuel economy (not of concern to me) is about 25 or 30 miles to the gallon, hardly what was advertised. The features of the vehicle that i do like include the very soft suspension, quiet tyres, decent sound quality. (when working) and the comfortable seating position. In short, even if it is a gift, politely decline. The constant maintainence required to keep it running is not worth the time, money or effort.

Leaves the Prius in the dust
By Loring

2015 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I wanted a hybrid as most of my driving is short rides in the city, but I was used to driving a large sedan and didn't want to give up that cossetted feeling. I test drove a Prius and felt like I was in a golf cart. It was noisy, slow to accelerate, and sloppy on turns. The C-Max, on the other hand, handled beautifully and was quieter than some luxury vehicles. So I bought one and am delighted with it. I'm getting 46.7 miles per gallon and climbing. The dashboard driving coach, which is easy to understand and doesn't distract you while driving, will make you a better and safer driver. Really, it has transformed me as driver. I used to roar up to red lights; now I start stopping hundreds of feet before a light. As braking regenerates the battery, I find myself hoping the light will turn red instead of stay green. The driver coach has made driving as much fun as a video game. Having the C-Max has turned driving which I used to regard as the price of getting somewhere into a lot of fun. On the down side, the rear seats are like sitting on a board and there isn't much cargo space. So, if you always have passengers and need to haul around a lot of stuff, you'll probably want a different car. But, for me, this car is PERFECT. Yeah, Ford!

ontheroadalot
By Arthur Meyer

2015 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife travels 150 miles round trip 5 days per week. We wanted something more economical so we started looking. My wife is 5'2" tall and I am 6'3" tall with two teen age boys that are between 5'10" and 6' tall. We put over 3,000 miles on this car last summer during a trip to South Dakota. This car was a true joy to drive. Even with 75 and 80 mph speed limits, we still averaged 36 mpg during the trip. It was a little crowded with all of our stuff for a week or so trip but not that bad. During the week with her travel to and from work we average about 37.5 mpg in the winter and 41.5 in the summer. We absolutely love this car. I am anxious to see how it will do when it has over 100,000 miles on it. So far with almost 60,000 miles, we have done nothing other than oil changes. It looks like it will go 80,000 with original tires and brakes are still like new. When this one needs replacing, I think I am going to drive it and get her another new one. I believe this is a much better value than Toyota, Honda, and some of the others we looked at.

Outstanding commuter vehicle
By Ron

2015 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I traded in my truck to try and get better economy. I struck gold with the C-Max Energi. I usually get about 25 miles before the plug in battery switches to hybrid. Since I usually travel about 30 miles round trip I end up averaging about 75MPG, much better than my pickup at 19MPG. And my energy provider gives me a discount on my electricity rates for charging at night. WIN-WIN