Tall, Muscular, over 45 and steadily climbing
By pcarvs on
2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I bought the car in mid-July before the software update was available and for the first 2 weeks I averaged 40 mpg. In order to achieve this fuel efficiency, I simply followed the information and tips in the owner’s manual (see page 186), but these tips are also readily available online. After the software update and continued breaking in of the engine, my gas mileage improved and I am now averaging over 45 mpg! Since I am a school teacher and just now starting to commute every weekday, this was part of the reason for the increase, but I still anticipate the fuel efficiency to climb as I log more highway miles after Labor Day, and commuting mpg is regularly over 50 MPG. My record is 64 MPG!
Favorite Features
After 10 yrs dreaming about a Prius, I could not fall in love with one when it came to my next car purchase. It was boring and it had no power unless I reached down and pressed the "Eco-Boost” button to merge or pass. While this was okay during the short test drive, it quickly became tedious when I took the car home for an extended time. The other feature I really like about the C-Max, not including all of the bells and whistles of the interior and the panoramic moon roof option, is that it is taller than other passenger cars. This means I not only sit higher up on the road, something I was used to in my SUV, but I can also fit taller items in the back such as a full size dog crate or bike.
Suggested Improvements
One complaint is there are no “fun” color options. I settled for the Platinum White, but would have loved some of the colors that are available in Europe or even in other Ford lines. A few more nooks and crannies to store items such as cell phones would have been nice in the front seat area. I wanted a hybrid with an attitude and cargo space and I fell in love with the Ford C-Max. With the C-Max, I can drive more conservatively and achieve excellent fuel efficiency, but when I want more power I simply press harder on the gas pedal without having to reach down and press an “Eco Boost” button.