Review to put an end to all the Gripes
By jbhowlesr on
2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
After reading these reviews, i thought i would post my experience with the C-Max SE. A few weeks ago, my wife and purchased TWO C-max Hybrids SE's and our different driving styles render different MPG. All of our driving is on flat roads, rangeing from residential to rural highway. My particula driving style is slow and easy and I am doing my best to learn to drive the C-Max for ECO purposes. My wife is 14 years younger than me and drive differently. Me personally, i refuse to use the A/C unless i need to and she has to because we have an infant. I'm getting 45.8 MPG, She gets 39.2 MPG.
Favorite Features
Based on this I believe that people with aheavy foot will experience lower milages. If you are light on the accerlator pedal you will achieve the desired results. The car will run on all electric up to 59 MPH, or since this is hat I have achieved. Also, if the battery is fully charged and you set the cruise at 59 an below, it will switch to electric only. Again this is my experience.
Suggested Improvements
This is a brand new car line and some issues will be expected. Even the Mazda, the Prius and the volt have experienced bugs their first year. My advice is for folks to quit whining because the grass isnt greener. Folks don't consider that the C-Max has many driving capabilities that neither the prius, the volt or mazda offer like regenerative breaking, Hybrid drive(Combined electric and Gas) up to 75MPH. Plus in the C-max, the gas engibe always only runs at idle until you really step on it.
By viennacoup1
on 08/10/13 11:40 AM (PDT)

I have two comments. First, Ford has updated the software on the computer that controls the power train. The C-Max will now run in electric mode up to 85 MPH. This improves freeway mpg and is available free to C-Max owners who purchased the car prior to the update. Second, the gas engine does not idle if your foot is off the pedal. It stops running altogether. The response is just so smooth and immediate that you think it must have been idling. This is one of the ways that hybrids achieve their good mileage.