Not a Prius Killer! 31MPG
By rkramer40 on
2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
Open letter to Ford: I thought my 2013 C-MAX would be a Prius Killer? NOT! As a returning Ford buyer I feel deceived. I want to support US companies and US jobs. What was Ford thinking when they published 47/ 47/47 estimates? Based on the advertised EPA estimates, I would have been ok with low 40's but 28-33 mpg is not even in the ballpark. This is not an issue about EPA testing standards, but rather an issue about setting false customer expectations in order to promote sales. Ford's "47MPG" marketing campaign tarnished what should have been the roll out of a truly remarkable vehicle, the CMAX. Real world MPG estimates should have been promoted in the mid-30's.
Favorite Features
No one would have questioned those numbers and the CMAX would have received the accolades it deserves. How these MPG estimates made it through Ford corporate is beyond me! Maybe it was the rush to go to market? I have been accused of not knowing how to drive hybrid. For the record, during the last three years I have leased both a 2010 Prius and 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid, and consider myself an experienced hyper-miler. My mileage in the Prius is 50 plus, the Insight is 40 plus.
Suggested Improvements
The C-MAX is a well-built car, with extremely inflated EPA estimates. I respectfully request that this matter be investigated as soon as possible. My efforts to deal with this locally and through Ford customer service have frustrated me to no end. The constant response? "You need to learn to how to drive hybrid type of vehicle ". Is there a difference how I drive Prius Hybrid vs. the CMAX hybrid? I think we all know the answer to that. I need someone at Ford to reach out to me and assist in a proactive manner so we can put this matter to rest.
By gooberpea
on 05/14/13 06:33 AM (PDT)

If you're really getting 31 mpg, you should take it back to the dealer and get it checked out. Maybe your battery isn't charging or engaging properly. I didn't have the mpg go below 35 driving in the mountains or the highways on a road trip.

By martinex
on 07/03/13 23:57 PM (PDT)

Consumer Reports and Motorweek both reported 37mpg.

By cdltpx
on 04/13/13 07:02 AM (PDT)

I own a 07 prius and at 80mph the car gets 38mpg W tx has plenty of interstate where you can set that CC and I had 3 devices to insure I was doing a righteous 80 mph. Range 420 miles 80mph over 550 miles 65mph. The worst mpg my lead footed wife can get our prius down to is 35 that is late for work burning the AC city driving, cold engine. I can usually get 60mpg when I try to but hold steady around 50mpg but I am a very conservative driver. With both our driving styles we usually get 42-45mpg per tank. MPG and price is very important go to fueleconomy.gov and use their fuel cost calculator tinker with the numbers a 20mpg car vs a 45mpg prius will mean the difference of around $10K per 100K miles at todays fuel prices of $3.50. Range is very important IMHO I see folks with V8 cars thinking they have such a great ride but I am sorry the trade off for a few seconds saved on an entire trip is just not worth the trade off of standing at a fuel pump over 2 times more time having to locat that fuel pump mandatory every 250 miles vs 550 miles. I also just can't wrap my head around driving a car that gets 30mpg and below only to save a few thousand on the front end of the purchase when the hybrid will recoup their higher cost in about 70K miles. Granted you have to put in the miles to make the purchase of a hybrid worth it my estimate is 15K miles a year or more. If fuel prices go down that makes less a difference and vehicles will get less efficient people are stupid they will start to buy less efficient rides if price of fuel goes down. As long as prices continue to be around $3.00 and up people will seek the efficient rides. Buying new prius so far has been your best bet used cars are not discounted enough to compensate for the miles driven. For instance my 07 after rebates etc $19.3K I find 09 selling for $15K with over 50K miles all the time. I am sorry I can't see the logic in going with a USED car for a HIGHER interest rate. If anything a used hybrid has greater liability a conventional auto has engine, tranny, hybrid adds a battery into the mix that has a shelf life no matter how you view it the batter will last so long the clock is ticking the moment they build it. If anything the hybrid should loose value quicker just on that fact alone unless the battery pack was serviced and is good to go another 9 years but I see dealerships selling used hybrids with years and miles on a batter pack that has a finite shelf life just the time alone should be discounted then a different formulation will have to come into play for drive train. True these are new types of cars I would suspect they would be better conditioning on the battery the more routine the car would be used that is if it is driven daily or at the very least weekly. Hybrids are becomming so plentiful they are finally starting to lower the asking price of used cars but they are no where near in range with depreciation of ICE only power trains.

By myforumname
on 04/05/13 12:46 PM (PDT)

Agreed - I got 52 mpg driving home yesterday, 49 yesterday. In the (cold) mornings it's more like 41-43, but 31 is all you.

By davesc
on 03/22/13 20:47 PM (PDT)

You must have a lead foot. Any hybrid will get bad mileage if you stomp on it at every stop sign. I have a C-Max and consistently get 40-45 MPG for all types of driving. I tried a Pruis also, the C-Max is much better in terms driving experience, quality and acceleration. I agree, 47 MPG is optimistic but I won't complain wtih 40-45, I'm happy.