2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Consumer Review: Excellent package.

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid - Consumer Review

SE Wagon (2.0L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic)

Excellent package.
By hotpotato on

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I traded in a beautiful German near-luxury sedan for this car. Other than prestige, it's little sacrifice. The C-Max drives like a European car because it is one (it's been sold in Europe for years, though not as a hybrid). I get 36-37 MPG, better than the 20 of my old car and comparable to the 40 of the Prius V. The compromises the Prius makes to get those last couple MPG (in road noise, acceleration, structural rigidity) aren't worth it to me. (We drive Priuses as company cars.)

The C-Max is built like a little tank. The cabin is luxury-car quiet. Ride & handling is impressive. Steering & brakes are precise. Acceleration is good around town and great on the highway. The displays are informative. Bluetooth sync is seamless; Sync lets you voice-command many car and phone functions; and if you have a smartphone, Pandora integrates nicely. The cabin is airy & roomy up front. The rear seats fold pancake-flat with a single lever pull, making wide-open spaces for dogs or stuff. Dual-zone climate control keeps both driver & passenger happy. Downhill mode holds your speed on steep downgrades. 120v plug lets passengers plug in laptops. Storage compartments hide your stuff.

The turning circle is absurdly large for such a small, short car. My old luxobarge could pull a U turn where this one cannot. I like using voice commands, but I shouldn't have to: there are some commands I can't find anywhere in the visual menus (e.g. switch to USB or Bluetooth Audio mode). Sync Services should leverage smartphone connections to push maps (not just text) to the screen, and Sync should integrate fully with Siri. A little more elbow room in the back seats, and a little more cargo room without need to fold down the seat, would be nice. Maybe an eco/normal/sport switch, like on the Lexus CT200h, to keep greenies and enthusiasts equally happy. There's another 50hp in there...