Cmax SEL Not Cold Weather Car
By frugalista1 on
2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I have a Cmax SEL, and there is a lot to love about this car. It is cute, fun to drive, and the visibility is excellent for drivers of all heights. Unfortunately, the main reason I purchased this car was the reported 47mpg, but in cold weather (<45 deg), the Cmax doesn't even come close to 47mpg. The gas engine comes on to heat up the cold car engine and the mileage plummets. On a short cold-weather trip (even without the heat on, another mpg reducer) it is common to see a Trip mpg reading of 19mpg or less. In warmer weather (using neither heat or AC) this same trip would yield a Trip mpg reading of 48mpg or more. If it's cold where you live, Cmax may not be for you.
Favorite Features
Visibility, style of car.
Suggested Improvements
Report mpg with greater accuracy. I do not recommend this car for colder climates, as it does not get the advertised 47mpg and it also performs poorly on snow (I have snow tires).
By charliedee
on 02/21/13 14:00 PM (PST)

I own a C Max Hybrid SEL. I live in Kansas. We currently have 9-10 inches of snow on the ground and the avg temp has been in the teens. The lowest mileage that I have gotten on my C Max (avg mpg per tank) has been 36 mpg. I am very satisified with the car, and look forward to much better mileage when the weather warms up. We do not baby the car, we aren't into jackrabbit starts, but we drive it as we drove our previous gas powered cars. Purchased the car new in November, very minimal highway driving so far. Approximately 3000 miles on the car.