Used 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific C-Max Hybrid model:

Loving my C-Max
By cmaxdriver

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

1250 miles on my C-Max SEL (not Energi) and I just filled up the second time, so that works out to 600+ per tank. So far love it. Driving mixed between city & highway.

Visibility, comfort, MPG

EV+ mode should be driver selectable, I should be able to say when I want it to run only on battery regardless of load.

2013 Ford C-MAX SE...Too soon to pass Judgement
By phill1

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Traded in my 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback 7/31 and with just over a month of driving and less then 1000 miles, I`m only averaging 34 mpg City & Highway. I`m careful (not) to accelerate quickly and coast when possible and avoid lots of unnecessary braking still can`t get over 34 mpg. The Vehicle is very comfortable, peppy, and if I can eventually improve on the Fuel Economy numbers, I`ll be very happy. Got spoiled with the smaller fuel sipping Fiesta which (always) delivered 33-35 mpg city and 41-43 mpg highway from day one.

Excellent styling both interior and exterior, plenty of legroom and headroom. Lots of power if you need to accelerate unto a highway.

Rear View Camera should be standard equipment regardless of Trim Level. MFT and SYNC needs more more control knobs and less finger touch operation. Too many button options on Steering Wheel! Daytime Running Lights should be an option if not standard equipment for (other) then Fleet Purchase.

Truth about the Mileage Debate
By saw67

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

First, after 6 months of driving my C-Max, I can safely say that it's one of the best cars I've owned, in quality, fuel efficiency, and features. Ride is smooth, and there's power when you want and need it. People used to driving Prius and other brand hybrids WILL NEED TO ADAPT, because the C-Max behaves very differently, and makes different choices than other hybrids. Once we learned how to drive it, we're averaging 37-45mpg, which is actually higher than we expected (nobody expects to actually make the "published mileage" because we don't drive in computer controlled conditions. Turn off the climate control, open the windows, and we get over 50mpg! Ignore the naysayers!

Heated seats (be careful, set them on high and you burn your butt ;) Navigation (nicely integrated with phone) Driver Dash (configurable and easy on the eyes) Electrically operated rear hatch (Super convenient, with the Hands Free kick-to-open feature!) Backup camera is superb! (tracks show where you'll end up based on steering wheel position!)

Fog lights do not remember their setting when the headlights go off and back on. Rear window "shade" Automatic windshield wipers not configurable for rear wiper.

Tall, Muscular, over 45 and steadily climbing
By pcarvs

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought the car in mid-July before the software update was available and for the first 2 weeks I averaged 40 mpg. In order to achieve this fuel efficiency, I simply followed the information and tips in the ownerÂ’s manual (see page 186), but these tips are also readily available online. After the software update and continued breaking in of the engine, my gas mileage improved and I am now averaging over 45 mpg! Since I am a school teacher and just now starting to commute every weekday, this was part of the reason for the increase, but I still anticipate the fuel efficiency to climb as I log more highway miles after Labor Day, and commuting mpg is regularly over 50 MPG. My record is 64 MPG!

After 10 yrs dreaming about a Prius, I could not fall in love with one when it came to my next car purchase. It was boring and it had no power unless I reached down and pressed the "Eco-Boost” button to merge or pass. While this was okay during the short test drive, it quickly became tedious when I took the car home for an extended time. The other feature I really like about the C-Max, not including all of the bells and whistles of the interior and the panoramic moon roof option, is that it is taller than other passenger cars. This means I not only sit higher up on the road, something I was used to in my SUV, but I can also fit taller items in the back such as a full size dog crate or bike.

One complaint is there are no “fun” color options. I settled for the Platinum White, but would have loved some of the colors that are available in Europe or even in other Ford lines. A few more nooks and crannies to store items such as cell phones would have been nice in the front seat area. I wanted a hybrid with an attitude and cargo space and I fell in love with the Ford C-Max. With the C-Max, I can drive more conservatively and achieve excellent fuel efficiency, but when I want more power I simply press harder on the gas pedal without having to reach down and press an “Eco Boost” button.

Review to put an end to all the Gripes
By jbhowlesr

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After reading these reviews, i thought i would post my experience with the C-Max SE. A few weeks ago, my wife and purchased TWO C-max Hybrids SE's and our different driving styles render different MPG. All of our driving is on flat roads, rangeing from residential to rural highway. My particula driving style is slow and easy and I am doing my best to learn to drive the C-Max for ECO purposes. My wife is 14 years younger than me and drive differently. Me personally, i refuse to use the A/C unless i need to and she has to because we have an infant. I'm getting 45.8 MPG, She gets 39.2 MPG.

Based on this I believe that people with aheavy foot will experience lower milages. If you are light on the accerlator pedal you will achieve the desired results. The car will run on all electric up to 59 MPH, or since this is hat I have achieved. Also, if the battery is fully charged and you set the cruise at 59 an below, it will switch to electric only. Again this is my experience.

This is a brand new car line and some issues will be expected. Even the Mazda, the Prius and the volt have experienced bugs their first year. My advice is for folks to quit whining because the grass isnt greener. Folks don't consider that the C-Max has many driving capabilities that neither the prius, the volt or mazda offer like regenerative breaking, Hybrid drive(Combined electric and Gas) up to 75MPH. Plus in the C-max, the gas engibe always only runs at idle until you really step on it.