Used 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid

View reviews for a specific C-Max Hybrid model:

Truth about the Mileage Debate
By saw67

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

First, after 6 months of driving my C-Max, I can safely say that it's one of the best cars I've owned, in quality, fuel efficiency, and features. Ride is smooth, and there's power when you want and need it. People used to driving Prius and other brand hybrids WILL NEED TO ADAPT, because the C-Max behaves very differently, and makes different choices than other hybrids. Once we learned how to drive it, we're averaging 37-45mpg, which is actually higher than we expected (nobody expects to actually make the "published mileage" because we don't drive in computer controlled conditions. Turn off the climate control, open the windows, and we get over 50mpg! Ignore the naysayers!

Favorite Features

Heated seats (be careful, set them on high and you burn your butt ;) Navigation (nicely integrated with phone) Driver Dash (configurable and easy on the eyes) Electrically operated rear hatch (Super convenient, with the Hands Free kick-to-open feature!) Backup camera is superb! (tracks show where you'll end up based on steering wheel position!)

Suggested Improvements

Fog lights do not remember their setting when the headlights go off and back on. Rear window "shade" Automatic windshield wipers not configurable for rear wiper.

Tall, Muscular, over 45 and steadily climbing
By pcarvs

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought the car in mid-July before the software update was available and for the first 2 weeks I averaged 40 mpg. In order to achieve this fuel efficiency, I simply followed the information and tips in the ownerÂ’s manual (see page 186), but these tips are also readily available online. After the software update and continued breaking in of the engine, my gas mileage improved and I am now averaging over 45 mpg! Since I am a school teacher and just now starting to commute every weekday, this was part of the reason for the increase, but I still anticipate the fuel efficiency to climb as I log more highway miles after Labor Day, and commuting mpg is regularly over 50 MPG. My record is 64 MPG!

Favorite Features

After 10 yrs dreaming about a Prius, I could not fall in love with one when it came to my next car purchase. It was boring and it had no power unless I reached down and pressed the "Eco-Boost” button to merge or pass. While this was okay during the short test drive, it quickly became tedious when I took the car home for an extended time. The other feature I really like about the C-Max, not including all of the bells and whistles of the interior and the panoramic moon roof option, is that it is taller than other passenger cars. This means I not only sit higher up on the road, something I was used to in my SUV, but I can also fit taller items in the back such as a full size dog crate or bike.

Suggested Improvements

One complaint is there are no “fun” color options. I settled for the Platinum White, but would have loved some of the colors that are available in Europe or even in other Ford lines. A few more nooks and crannies to store items such as cell phones would have been nice in the front seat area. I wanted a hybrid with an attitude and cargo space and I fell in love with the Ford C-Max. With the C-Max, I can drive more conservatively and achieve excellent fuel efficiency, but when I want more power I simply press harder on the gas pedal without having to reach down and press an “Eco Boost” button.

Review to put an end to all the Gripes
By jbhowlesr

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After reading these reviews, i thought i would post my experience with the C-Max SE. A few weeks ago, my wife and purchased TWO C-max Hybrids SE's and our different driving styles render different MPG. All of our driving is on flat roads, rangeing from residential to rural highway. My particula driving style is slow and easy and I am doing my best to learn to drive the C-Max for ECO purposes. My wife is 14 years younger than me and drive differently. Me personally, i refuse to use the A/C unless i need to and she has to because we have an infant. I'm getting 45.8 MPG, She gets 39.2 MPG.

Favorite Features

Based on this I believe that people with aheavy foot will experience lower milages. If you are light on the accerlator pedal you will achieve the desired results. The car will run on all electric up to 59 MPH, or since this is hat I have achieved. Also, if the battery is fully charged and you set the cruise at 59 an below, it will switch to electric only. Again this is my experience.

Suggested Improvements

This is a brand new car line and some issues will be expected. Even the Mazda, the Prius and the volt have experienced bugs their first year. My advice is for folks to quit whining because the grass isnt greener. Folks don't consider that the C-Max has many driving capabilities that neither the prius, the volt or mazda offer like regenerative breaking, Hybrid drive(Combined electric and Gas) up to 75MPH. Plus in the C-max, the gas engibe always only runs at idle until you really step on it.

Review for Base Model
By lmg911

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Before I purchased my C-Max I read the online reviews. I continue to do this and am surprised that most posters complain that they don't get the 'advertised' mileage. Well I felt compelled to write. This car teaches you how to change your driving habits to actually get the 47mpg . If you pay enough attention to it and learn to use the gauges (complicated) you will get the 47mpg. In my case , I've become obsessive and actually get better mileage. Actual mileage also depends on the terrain where you live. Hill country gets less then the flats of the mid-west. But I live in New England so .... Also , if you use the heat/ac it will cost you 1 mpg. Extremely happy with my purchase. !!!

Favorite Features

I like the new materials that Ford came up with for the seats. It repels everything and breathes. The seats in the base model are not electric but move easily in every direction. The headrests on the back seat fold down with the push of a button to enable the rear compartment to be for cargo. My former vehicle , the headreast had to be manually removed first. C-Max is very roomy. Even my 6ft + friends are surprised how comfortable they feel in it.

Suggested Improvements

Even in the base model there is a lot of technology and bells and whistles. I only learned the functions that I had a need to use. Some are still left not learned or used. I'm sure that a younger person would have a blast with them all. The icons and words on the buttons on the dash are a bit small. The placement of the items in the panel with the radio, heat , etc could be improved .

TRADED IN FOR A PRIUS AFTER 10 MONTHS
By tradedcmax

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After only 10 months, I traded it in for a Prius. Why? The NHTSA recall for the interior crash protection problem was the final straw. The fact I never got more than 37mpg, the fact that the multiple build quality issues were never fully resolved, and the fact that the dealer kept denying problems were all reasons I did this. And trading this in didn't come cheaply - took a $4000 hit on the trade. The dealer was quick to point out the recall. I loved driving the car. The only driving complaint was the turning radius seemed large for the size car. That is after you get used to the constant noises. Strut plate, creaking frame, etc. Very annoying.

Favorite Features

I loved the sound deadening system. That worked flawlessly. I liked not having to stoop down to get into the car. I liked the way it drives.

Suggested Improvements

Ford needs to make this a top safety pick at the IIHS and a 5 star car over at the NHTSA. In addition, they need to address the many build quality problems. And lastly they need to be honest about the MPG you will receive vs. what it is rated at. I achieved no more than 37mpg and even less in winter. And this is after driving it very prudently.