2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon Consumer Reviews 6

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Max Hybrid model:
Started out Great - Not so sure now!
By hybrid_veteran on 05/19/13 17:50 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Absolutely loved my C-Max at the beginning. Solid, great handling and lots of power compared to my earlier Prius. Perfectly satisfied with the 39 MPG as well given my lead foot. My only concern from the start was reliability. Now at 15,000 miles and am a bit scared. Clock changes time by itself whenever it wants, but that's no big deal. The real concern is that the doors are starting to creak very badly. Hope it's just the weather stripping but may be body flex, which isn't particularly fixable. If all that weight on basically a Focus frame turns out to be a mistake I see big problems ahead for this car.

Car stop running once a while and could not start engine for a while
By tjshiau on 05/17/13 16:56 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My 2013 Ford C-MAX hybrid SE could not run during driving (i.e. stop at traffic light) and could not start the engine for a while from a few second to two hours. It will start the engine and run again after this. However, it will happen again either one month later or a few minutes later. It is not safe to drive this car. I am not so sure whether this car has this issue or this model has this issue. I like to know whether this is design issue or some bugs on my car only. To be fair, this car is powerful with good gas mileage. My average gas mileage is 40.4 mile per gallon after 7000 mileage. If the traffic is good, it could be over 50 mile per gallon or between 43 and 47 mile per gallon.

Great performance for hybrid 43/37mpg
By gooberpea on 05/14/13 06:22 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'm about 3000 miles in with 2 long road trips. My overall average is 40mpg, with the road trips coming in around 37mpg with my normal suburban commute averaging around 43mpg. The dropoff in mileage is pretty clear--the faster you go over 65, the mileage drops off a cliff (well into the low 30s). On the flipside, the C-Max loves 45-55 mph roads with stoplights. Fortunately, that's my normal commute.

47 MPG IS POSSIBLE
By hof on 05/05/13 21:10 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got my C-Max in March, and I have about 1300 miles on it. I have only stopped for fuel twice in that period, and neither time was I empty. When I got the car, the weather was cold and I got about 38 MPG overall. Since the weather improved, I have gotten 44 MPG overall and MPG is still going up. Since my last fill-up I have averaged 46.6. These figures are almost as good as Edmund's long term Prius-C. The C-Max is about more than mileage. It has a lot of power, at 8.5 seconds, its 0-60 is about the same as a 1976 Pontiac Trans Am. If you use that power you won't get Prius-type gas mileage. The cabin is comfortable with soft touch materials almost everywhere.

Perfect car for a techy empty nester taking long trips with the wife to visit kids
By abeachdog on 04/24/13 18:15 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I get 34-38mpg Freeway Driving (63-80mph); 37-44 Highway (45-62); 38-50 City (25-45). My lifetime avg. is 38.9. I started getting about 3mpg better after 5000 miles. Cold weather (Under 40degrees), hilly conditions, stop and go driving, strong winds, and wet conditions can really drop the mpg. I get great gas mileage considering the size and drivability of the vehicle. I'm going from a Miata and B3000 pickup to the C-Max. I wanted a comfortable car, fun to drive, 40+ mpg, and with lots of tech stuff. I like the techy look. This car would be what I would have custom built for what I want/need at this stage of my life. Going from Cali to Idaho in style, comfort, and low expense!

Love My Weird Looking Car
By clovjul on 04/23/13 08:55 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had the 2013 Fusion and hated it. They put me in this, even though I was resistent. It is funny-looking (better than the ugly Prius, but that isn't saying much). And now I freaking love my weird looking car. It is fun to drive, feels spacious inside but is easy to zip around. The MPG is about 35 right now and I think I can get it higher. Not 47, but maybe 40. The seats could be a bit more comfortable, but I really love driving my car and am loving owning a hybrid. No way would I consider the Prius now.

Sold my Prius to buy this. Mileage is stuck at 39
By paulroberts on 04/21/13 15:46 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

To start with let me say that I really like my C-Max. The 47/47 mileage rating however is a joke. I have been trying so hard to get my mileage up higher and it just isn't going up. I now have 2,400 miles on the car with City mileage about 70%. I sold my 2007 Prius to buy this. Was ready for a new car, needed more space. Looked at several other models including the Prius V. The C-Max is just more fun to drive, quieter great build quality with a couple of exceptions. Coming out of a Prius I am used to babying the car, drifting into red lights and stops, watching up ahead to let the accelerator off early. I don't punch it ever except to get on the freeway. With all that just 39.3 mpg.

2013 C-Max SEL
By kkellyp on 04/17/13 19:30 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

3 mos, 6K miles later, love my C-Max SEL, would buy it again today. Way more comfortable than Prius V with WAY better acceleration and handling. I drive 65% freeway, heavy foot; MPG slightly disappointing 36+ most of the time, but in town on level roads in traffic I can easily top 42 mpg. Love the handling, 17" wheels and seat height, rear-seat fold-downs/cargo space, driver seat controls (wish passenger side had them). Don't love the less-than-hoped for MPG, and the driver seat gets hard on long trips. DON'T love flat-fix stuff instead of a spare tire; already had two punctures (surprising for Michelin tires!), but warning lights gave me enough time to get somewhere for fixing.

Mile High C-MAXXing!
By jackscmax on 04/10/13 16:48 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Driving a C-Max at Denver's mile high elevation for the past two months and 1720 miles has been a very satisfying experience. CMax has performed very well in the cold (-5F to 25F) and snow delivering a consistent 37.4mpg. As spring temperatures warmed to 50-70F the mileage climbed to 45-50mpg. Driving is a 50/50 city/highway mix. With lowest mpg 29.7mpg in a blizzard and 93.3mpg on a 3 mile downhill drive from shopping. CMAX was our #1 choice over the Prius and Prius V because the Ford proved to be a better mix of mpg, driving capability and interior comfort. This car is simply fun to drive. Took it up Floyd Hill in the fast lane - nuff said. Have enjoyed every minute in this car!

after 3 months of wonership...
By wamba2000 on 04/10/13 12:53 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought my C-Max SEL in January 2013, model 303A with pano roof. I have 1800 miles driven, primarily in city and suburban settings. Bought this vehicle mostly as a commuter car, but wanted rear hatch to have flexibility carrying larger objects. There has been a lot of chatter about the mileage published versus real life. The EPA tests are not real world. If I can get in the 40's I am good. Would buy a C-Max again. If you want solely the highest mileage get a Prius, but don't expect much of a driving experience. The C-Max will give you some fun an dfeel while driving.