Used 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford C-max-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Max Hybrid model:

One year in, still a happy camper.
By hotpotato

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'm over a year and 15,000 miles into ownership now. Car is holding up nicely. Since late 2012, Ford has issued several updates and recalls for the car to increase safety, MPG, and reliability. This may damage consumer magazine reliability scores, but results in a safer, more economical, more reliable car for all current and future owners -- I admire Ford for doing it. My mileage went up 1-2 MPG after the new software, for instance, from 36-37 to 37-38.

Favorite Features

Drives like a sport sedan. Hauls stuff like a small truck. Gets MPG like a flyweight subcompact. (And it's random, but I really like the design of the wheels.) Recently found a new favorite. Got an iPhone paired to your C-Max? Press its Home button and you're talking to Siri via Bluetooth. Now you've got voice-activated navigation, voice-activated text messaging, etc. via your phone! (get a dash mount).

Suggested Improvements

The user interface of the touch-screen stereo has been criticized, but make no mistake: the user interface of the base stereo is also very poor. The sound quality of the base stereo is no prize either, and upgrading an integrated factory system in a modern car costs thousands, not hundreds. (As I discovered the hard way.) So if you like music and can afford it, get the optional Sony stereo.

One month in on the new C-MAX
By m8rix

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Our lease came due on our Prius and Toyota did not have product so we went looking and were surprised by the options we had. We drove the C-MAX and were quite surprised by it's features and performance. Overall it is 5 stars. On the test drive we put it thru its paces, rather harshly [I think to the salespersons surprise] but there was not a thing we could find fault with. If I had to list a deficiency, I'd have to list the SYNC system. Like all Microsoft products, it is better on the drawing board. A proper manual [digital would be good] of all the commands and how they fit together would be good.

Favorite Features

Headroom is awesome. Find the seats comfortable and the heated seat option a bonus in cold weather. The sound system is good, better than the premium system in my Prius. Cargo is nice because the extra height just makes things easier. We got the foot swipe hatch and it has to be the favorite feature. Everyone who has seen it has been impressed.

Suggested Improvements

One small challenge ALL hybrids have is the significant fuel economy hit they take in cold weather. Right now, my average on my 2013 C-Max is 6.8. In comparison, my 2007 Prius is running around 5.9 right now. I expect both with be back to about 1.0 better on average when things get over freezing. Still for a CUV, not bad at all.

I've owned my Ford C-max for a YEAR
By klovors_mom

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I loved this car at first But now it has locked me out and won't start I got over it the first and second time but now we are on the eighth time Every time I have taken it to the ford dealer i bought it from(this is the third time) they give me a different reason and say it is fixed after they are done They even said it was my remote start i had put in even thought it did it twice before I put the starter in They told me i had to remove it cost $177.00 Oh and that remote start cost $650.00 to put in But I live in the country we have a lot of hills I am trying to get rid of the car because I have a two year old and need something that is reliable

Favorite Features

Drives nice I've gotten 45 max mpg In the winter I get 30-35 In the summer I get 40-44

Suggested Improvements

MAKE IT RELIABLE More affordable

Great, Peppy 42-43 MPG car
By hof

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

For most people it's not a 47 MPG car, but the fact is a great 42-43 MPG car. (My lifetime MPG peaked at 45 in October but is going down with colder weather.) Myfordtouch is fun to play with even though the speech recognition is a bit dodgy at times. The car performs much better than the Prius and is roomy for 4 adults. It doesn't really NEED a backup cam in that visibility in the back is better than a prius even without a cam, but a cam would be nice. Mine has the rear sonar which is useful, but a camera would be better. My only problem has been a tire pressure warning system light that won't go off withotu a dealer re, but that's not unique to the CMAX, that's a standard Ford part.

Favorite Features

MPG quietness Fun-to-drive for max mpg Performance Room Gadgets (including MyFordTouch) Heated cloth seats Union-made in USA build quality

Suggested Improvements

Longer, for more cargo room back-up camera OBDII display on MyFordTouch Replicate left mini-display options on right side Blue Candy paint (for which I paid extra) could be more chip resistant. More bright color options Better sound in stereo Pandora keep working on the bluetooth phone connection

Best vehicle ever!
By glhouk

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had the C-Max for 2 and 1/2 months and 4,500 miles. This is the vehicle I have been looking for for more than 10 years. It has the large enough interior, high seating position, high roof line, ease of entry, and good handling and mileage of a very small car. It is a pleasure to drive and I am getting 38 to 45 mpg depending on wind direction and my speed. I have achieved over 50 on a few occasions but average in the lower 40's. At 65 to 70, it is around 38 to 40. The power train is so smooth, and on the interstate going 65+ and needing to pass, I was shocked at how quickly it zoomed up to 80! I am averaging 10 mpg more than my good mileage Pontiac G6.

Favorite Features

Roomy, stylish, upscale interior, great mileage, comfortable, handling, expansive view in front, backup camera, foot controlled lift gate, eco cruise control, dash display options, automatic climate control, ease of entry and exit, high sitting position and head room, not needing the gasoline engine for short trips around town, regenerative braking and coasting, automatic windshield wipers, voice activation of most controls.

Suggested Improvements

ability to display oil life remaining, slightly longer to give more rear storage for families, a bit softer ride, higher roof line at the rear of the vehicle. easier access to the 12v battery