2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Max Hybrid model:
First month
By g2121 on 06/04/13 10:44 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is a great car. We enjoy driving very much. The milage has been great. According to the on board computer we are getting just under 47 MPG. However when we manually calculate we are getting 49 MPG (mostly city driving). The car handles well and rides well. We are very pleased at this point. The only thing I can say bad about it at this point is the sync system doesn't work well. It will recognize my wifes voice but it will not recognize mine. We need to stop back at the dealer to see if they have any suggestions. I would definitely recommend this car to anyone who is interested in a hybrid.

Great car!
By winn17 on 06/03/13 12:27 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased by C Max on Halloween 2012 and I now have over 15, 000 miles on it. My lifetime average mpg is 44.2, a combination of city and 55mph driving. Admittedly the mileage plummets if I should venture onto the freeway at 65mph+. The mileage improved with warmer weather. Absolutely love driving the car!

Very Dissappointed
By jgcalbny on 05/27/13 22:00 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have now owned a 2013 Ford C-Max for exactly 3 months, and I am not at all happy with my purchase. Like most C-Max owners, I only get 34-35 mpg. I drive a combination of regular roads and highway roads. My main concern with the car isn't the substantially lower than advertised mpg, but rather the fact that I have now had to have Ford Roadside Assistance come and jump my car on 4 different occasions, plus had my friends jump it once. I have brought it in multiple times for service, to two different Ford dealerships. Each time, getting the same answer: "There's nothing wrong with your battery, and we did the latest update. That should fix the problem." And yet still no solution.

High Expectations...but....
By teddyp27 on 05/24/13 07:15 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I thumbed through a lot of the reviews on Edmunds.com and it seems like we are experiencing a lot of the same things. We ordered our CMax with dreams of high MPG and ruled out a Mazda CX5 solely because of it. Had I known we'd be averaging low-to-mid 30's overall I think I would have bought the Mazda instead. We follow all of the recommended driving behaviors but the fact is "highway" really means 70+ MPH (not 60 when EPA standards were written) and some of the nation (even Dearborn, MI) has cold weather. We will be happy if we can get it to about 40 mpg now that we are past the legendary 500 mile "break in period".

Our 2013 Ford C-Max Horror Story with Kelowna Ford Lincoln
By texerta on 05/23/13 15:25 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We purchased this car about a month ago and we purchased it because Kelowna Ford had huge banners in the windshield of the car claiming that is got 71 MPG in the city and 69 MPG on the highway and the best we have ever gotten out of it was 40.5 MPG while driving the car very easily and gently, a far cry from 71 MPG. Even in Ford Canada's brochure on the front page they claim that the car gets 71 in the city and 69 on the highway which is a bold face lie. How much more of this crap and outright lies and deceptions are we supposed to put up with from the Kelowna Fords and the Ford Canada's of this world before we say ' enough is en

Ford Lied
By chanman11 on 05/21/13 18:19 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We purchased a C-MAX after be mesmerized by the idea of 47mpg. Sure we were giving up some room but the trade off was to much to overlook. After owning the C-Max we averaged 37 mpg with 14k miles of constant monitoring of driving habits and fuel use. Ford has stretched the truth and lied to those that purchased this vehicle. For this they should be punished. Sold the C-max and bought a Dodge. I shall never buy another Ford because they can not be trusted. Sure I know all of the disclaimers but 47 city and 47 highway means you should be fairly close to 47 if you keep your foot out of it. YOU WILL ONLY ACHIEVE 47 MPG IF YOU DRIVE MOSTLY CITY DRIVING. THE HIGHWAY WILL KILL YOUR MPG.

Started out Great - Not so sure now!
By hybrid_veteran on 05/19/13 17:50 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Absolutely loved my C-Max at the beginning. Solid, great handling and lots of power compared to my earlier Prius. Perfectly satisfied with the 39 MPG as well given my lead foot. My only concern from the start was reliability. Now at 15,000 miles and am a bit scared. Clock changes time by itself whenever it wants, but that's no big deal. The real concern is that the doors are starting to creak very badly. Hope it's just the weather stripping but may be body flex, which isn't particularly fixable. If all that weight on basically a Focus frame turns out to be a mistake I see big problems ahead for this car.

Car stop running once a while and could not start engine for a while
By tjshiau on 05/17/13 16:56 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My 2013 Ford C-MAX hybrid SE could not run during driving (i.e. stop at traffic light) and could not start the engine for a while from a few second to two hours. It will start the engine and run again after this. However, it will happen again either one month later or a few minutes later. It is not safe to drive this car. I am not so sure whether this car has this issue or this model has this issue. I like to know whether this is design issue or some bugs on my car only. To be fair, this car is powerful with good gas mileage. My average gas mileage is 40.4 mile per gallon after 7000 mileage. If the traffic is good, it could be over 50 mile per gallon or between 43 and 47 mile per gallon.

Great performance for hybrid 43/37mpg
By gooberpea on 05/14/13 06:22 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'm about 3000 miles in with 2 long road trips. My overall average is 40mpg, with the road trips coming in around 37mpg with my normal suburban commute averaging around 43mpg. The dropoff in mileage is pretty clear--the faster you go over 65, the mileage drops off a cliff (well into the low 30s). On the flipside, the C-Max loves 45-55 mph roads with stoplights. Fortunately, that's my normal commute.

47 MPG IS POSSIBLE
By hof on 05/05/13 21:10 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got my C-Max in March, and I have about 1300 miles on it. I have only stopped for fuel twice in that period, and neither time was I empty. When I got the car, the weather was cold and I got about 38 MPG overall. Since the weather improved, I have gotten 44 MPG overall and MPG is still going up. Since my last fill-up I have averaged 46.6. These figures are almost as good as Edmund's long term Prius-C. The C-Max is about more than mileage. It has a lot of power, at 8.5 seconds, its 0-60 is about the same as a 1976 Pontiac Trans Am. If you use that power you won't get Prius-type gas mileage. The cabin is comfortable with soft touch materials almost everywhere.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid in VA is:

$106 per month*