Used 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon Consumer Reviews - 125 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific C-Max Hybrid model:

Mostly Nice
By daleinmn

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

If I lived in a warm climate I would give this car rave reviews. In a cold climate, not so much. It has been reliable but the mileage and electric range in the winter are so much worse than in the summer, about half as good. Also, one of the big selling points to me was that I could set a departure time using my cell phone, and it would have the cabin at a comfy temperature using wall current by the time I left. Maybe that works on 220 volts, but on 110 it starts warming or cooling about 45 minutes before departure and never does get the cabin comfortable, and it does drain the battery somewhat. Also, the turning radius is absurdly bad. In hybrid mode I get about 36 mpg. After driving a Prius, that stinks. I will say, however, that I loved driving in electric mode while it lasted. It is quiet, quick, and non-polluting.
Bottom line, I didn't buy out my lease when it expired. I bought a Prius. I just couldn't convince myself that the plug-in thing was worth the hassle and cost when the aggregate mileage (electric plus hybrid) wasn't much better than what I could get with a Prius with no plug in. Also, the Prius can haul more, costs less, and has much better resale value. Many reviews said the C-Max was unreliable, although that wasn't my experience. I had not problems at all in that regard.

14K And All Is Great
By nsteblay

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought the C-Max under the pretense of getting 47 Hwy / 47 city.
I soon discovered that the EPA doesn't require testing in cold weather
The C-Max relies on EV mode to get mileage.
Living in Minnesota during the winter the engine needs to run almost constantly to keep the car warm.
Hense overall I'm averaging 41 MPG per year.
This summer I've been averaging 50+ MPG for commutes to work.

I prefer the C-Max over the Prius for a couple of reasons: comfort, visibility, quietness, and the ability to accelerate when needed. It also looks alot better.

I think Ford could create an ECO mode that would optimize the algorithms similar to the Toyota. I got the first year model so there were a couple of recalls but Ford has dealt with them wonderfully. Overall I've been pleased with the quality of the car.

13,000 miles and no problems
By bjhhog

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is our first hybrid and I'm so glad we went with the C-max. It has gitty-up when you need it, plenty of space for two adults and one baby (and everything that comes with a baby). driveability is very good and comfortable. This is our second summer with the car, and we are achieving the 45-47 mark. Winter is a different story, more like 42. All in all a very good car and I'm truly surprised there are not more on the road.

MPG's and the acceleration

The NAV system is so frustrating. If they change that, its a 9 out of 10 for me.

So far love it!
By wellmiss

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had my Cmax for 15 days today! My best trip so far has netted 52.8 mpg, with an average of 42.7 mpg.
I bought this car for the looks and how much fun it is driving!

I can and have followed all of the hints and tips regarding driving a hybrid, and reaped those benefits, 52.8 mpg!
I have also enjoyed zipping around town, and still am getting fantastic gas mileage.

Will follow up in a few months!

The heated seats, the will be a must in all my cars from now on. The Bluetooth is also fun, the geek in me loves all of the info that is available.

Need a place for the smart phone in your life.

Best car I own
By alexinmemphis

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I would probably be slightly disappointed if I'd paid full price for my C-Max. We bought ours used with 7k miles on it. It now has 12k. When I bought the car, the lifetime mileage was 32 mpg. Now it's 37. Hybrids are still cars. The person who previously owned this vehicle had a very short drive cycle. If you drive a short distance- less than 5 miles, you can't expect anything to get the EPA rating. My wife drives 5 miles per day. Important- be aware of the tire inflation sticker. I thought my Cmax handled like a badly, but the dealer only put 32 psi in the tires- the sticker says 42! Make sure your tires are properly inflated, the sticker is in the driver's door jamb.

The acceleration is extremely surprising! The car is designed to run on 87 octane, and fuel economy doesn't appear to increase with octane. What 93 does increase is your ability to accelerate- especially at highway speeds. I know I'm supposed to be driving this thing to get good fuel economy, but I love when I get the chance to drop it into L and floor it at highway speeds. This car is extremely fun to drive, and as quiet as a Mercedes. I'm not just saying that, I've owned a 300 before.

LED headlights and exterior lighting would reduce power consumption and increase fuel economy at night. Prius owners must use premium fuel, why not increase the compression ratio to 14:1 and make CMax owners do the same? The power and efficiency would be worth it. Bump guards on the side Power passenger seat in SEL trim. Grand C-Max PHEV, enough said.