2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Max Hybrid model:
Tall, Muscular, over 45 and steadily climbing
By pcarvs on 08/23/13 14:34 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought the car in mid-July before the software update was available and for the first 2 weeks I averaged 40 mpg. In order to achieve this fuel efficiency, I simply followed the information and tips in the ownerÂ’s manual (see page 186), but these tips are also readily available online. After the software update and continued breaking in of the engine, my gas mileage improved and I am now averaging over 45 mpg! Since I am a school teacher and just now starting to commute every weekday, this was part of the reason for the increase, but I still anticipate the fuel efficiency to climb as I log more highway miles after Labor Day, and commuting mpg is regularly over 50 MPG. My record is 64 MPG!

Review to put an end to all the Gripes
By jbhowlesr on 08/07/13 11:51 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After reading these reviews, i thought i would post my experience with the C-Max SE. A few weeks ago, my wife and purchased TWO C-max Hybrids SE's and our different driving styles render different MPG. All of our driving is on flat roads, rangeing from residential to rural highway. My particula driving style is slow and easy and I am doing my best to learn to drive the C-Max for ECO purposes. My wife is 14 years younger than me and drive differently. Me personally, i refuse to use the A/C unless i need to and she has to because we have an infant. I'm getting 45.8 MPG, She gets 39.2 MPG.

Review for Base Model
By lmg911 on 08/05/13 06:08 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Before I purchased my C-Max I read the online reviews. I continue to do this and am surprised that most posters complain that they don't get the 'advertised' mileage. Well I felt compelled to write. This car teaches you how to change your driving habits to actually get the 47mpg . If you pay enough attention to it and learn to use the gauges (complicated) you will get the 47mpg. In my case , I've become obsessive and actually get better mileage. Actual mileage also depends on the terrain where you live. Hill country gets less then the flats of the mid-west. But I live in New England so .... Also , if you use the heat/ac it will cost you 1 mpg. Extremely happy with my purchase. !!!

TRADED IN FOR A PRIUS AFTER 10 MONTHS
By tradedcmax on 08/03/13 02:36 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After only 10 months, I traded it in for a Prius. Why? The NHTSA recall for the interior crash protection problem was the final straw. The fact I never got more than 37mpg, the fact that the multiple build quality issues were never fully resolved, and the fact that the dealer kept denying problems were all reasons I did this. And trading this in didn't come cheaply - took a $4000 hit on the trade. The dealer was quick to point out the recall. I loved driving the car. The only driving complaint was the turning radius seemed large for the size car. That is after you get used to the constant noises. Strut plate, creaking frame, etc. Very annoying.

electronic problems
By opallongtail on 07/30/13 16:02 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After less than 3000 miles we had problems with the "entertainment system" and the air conditioning. The repairs took 10 days, the AC compressor had to be replaced. Took it in for servicing after 5000 miles, including 2 recalls it had. After 500 more miles we had electronic problems again. The external sensors died, the entertainment went out again. The AC made more noise than usual. We are thinking we have bought a lemon! We like the way it drives and are satisfied with 40 mpg, and the comfort is good, but we can't trust it. We may have to use the "lemon law". It's back in the shop today.

Mileage - A true account
By spammed on 07/13/13 20:59 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

You'll receive 80% of what you've paid for. Does not go over 25 mph from stop to gas engine engage. Use the heater and lights and mpg goes to around 27 at 60 mph with cruise. Summer with air conditioning gets 35 mpg in town if you're lucky. Colder, higher country (Idaho, Montana, etc) doesn't carry CMax on their lots. Lots of gleeming claims on various sites, maybe a lot of marketing sending spam? I've spoken with other actual owners and they report the same problems. I have over 4,000 miles & been in twice for "updates" on system, maybe now my clock will keep better time and my smart phone will sync up every time - but I'm not holding my breath.

Love My CMax!
By bevt on 07/08/13 17:29 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The car handles beautifully, both in acceleration & braking; it's very solid feeling, responsive, and very energy efficient. After 2 days of owning it, it's already giving me an average of 46.5 mpg . I can also put the car in cruise control on the highway and set it for 63 for EV energy only. I was thrown at first by how much the gas kicked in because of the hilly terrain where I live, but after learning more about how it works, that no longer bothers me because it's supposed to do that; considering the mileage I've gotten already, it can only get better when it hits 1000-3000 where they say the hybrid feature gets really good!

Great Car, Great MPG, 50+
By seattlelife on 07/06/13 13:19 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Don't be put off by the negative reviews. The C-MAX really does get the advertised mileage. It's a very comfortable ride and fun to drive. The car has about 4500 miles on it, and I'm getting 52-53 MPG. The mileage does improve over the first 3000 miles! At 1000 miles the MPG was 43-44, at 2000 miles it was 46-47, and at 3000 miles it 49-50. If you follow the recommendations in the manual you should get the advertised 47 MPG: go gradually on the acceleration and stay around the speed limit. The key for good MPGs is to maximize travel in EV mode. Heavy acceleration and speeding keeps the hybrid in gas engine mode, and the MPGs drops rapidly: back off the accelerator to stay in EV mode.

Great Car
By johnnyo7 on 07/02/13 18:52 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased our CMax yesterday. Average MPG now 42.7 with less than 200 miles on it. Very happy. Ride, fit, finish, technology, fantastic. What a marvel of technology.

This Car is Fabulous
By drken on 07/01/13 08:31 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just got my Ford CMax and couldn't be happier. While I only have 500 miles on the car, I'm very impressed with the gas mileage (with the a/c on no less) - getting 47.6 mpg right now. I was a little worried about the reviews of the Ford My Touch but find it pretty straight forward to use. The fit and finish in my car is top notch - no issues identified. I am a big fan of some of the comfort/appearance items on my SEL - ambient lighting, keyless start, auto lift gate. I would also recommend the skylite - really brightens the car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon in VA is:

$130 per month*