2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Max Hybrid model:
electronic problems
By opallongtail on 07/30/13 16:02 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After less than 3000 miles we had problems with the "entertainment system" and the air conditioning. The repairs took 10 days, the AC compressor had to be replaced. Took it in for servicing after 5000 miles, including 2 recalls it had. After 500 more miles we had electronic problems again. The external sensors died, the entertainment went out again. The AC made more noise than usual. We are thinking we have bought a lemon! We like the way it drives and are satisfied with 40 mpg, and the comfort is good, but we can't trust it. We may have to use the "lemon law". It's back in the shop today.

Mileage - A true account
By spammed on 07/13/13 20:59 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

You'll receive 80% of what you've paid for. Does not go over 25 mph from stop to gas engine engage. Use the heater and lights and mpg goes to around 27 at 60 mph with cruise. Summer with air conditioning gets 35 mpg in town if you're lucky. Colder, higher country (Idaho, Montana, etc) doesn't carry CMax on their lots. Lots of gleeming claims on various sites, maybe a lot of marketing sending spam? I've spoken with other actual owners and they report the same problems. I have over 4,000 miles & been in twice for "updates" on system, maybe now my clock will keep better time and my smart phone will sync up every time - but I'm not holding my breath.

Love My CMax!
By bevt on 07/08/13 17:29 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The car handles beautifully, both in acceleration & braking; it's very solid feeling, responsive, and very energy efficient. After 2 days of owning it, it's already giving me an average of 46.5 mpg . I can also put the car in cruise control on the highway and set it for 63 for EV energy only. I was thrown at first by how much the gas kicked in because of the hilly terrain where I live, but after learning more about how it works, that no longer bothers me because it's supposed to do that; considering the mileage I've gotten already, it can only get better when it hits 1000-3000 where they say the hybrid feature gets really good!

Great Car, Great MPG, 50+
By seattlelife on 07/06/13 13:19 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Don't be put off by the negative reviews. The C-MAX really does get the advertised mileage. It's a very comfortable ride and fun to drive. The car has about 4500 miles on it, and I'm getting 52-53 MPG. The mileage does improve over the first 3000 miles! At 1000 miles the MPG was 43-44, at 2000 miles it was 46-47, and at 3000 miles it 49-50. If you follow the recommendations in the manual you should get the advertised 47 MPG: go gradually on the acceleration and stay around the speed limit. The key for good MPGs is to maximize travel in EV mode. Heavy acceleration and speeding keeps the hybrid in gas engine mode, and the MPGs drops rapidly: back off the accelerator to stay in EV mode.

Great Car
By johnnyo7 on 07/02/13 18:52 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased our CMax yesterday. Average MPG now 42.7 with less than 200 miles on it. Very happy. Ride, fit, finish, technology, fantastic. What a marvel of technology.

This Car is Fabulous
By drken on 07/01/13 08:31 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just got my Ford CMax and couldn't be happier. While I only have 500 miles on the car, I'm very impressed with the gas mileage (with the a/c on no less) - getting 47.6 mpg right now. I was a little worried about the reviews of the Ford My Touch but find it pretty straight forward to use. The fit and finish in my car is top notch - no issues identified. I am a big fan of some of the comfort/appearance items on my SEL - ambient lighting, keyless start, auto lift gate. I would also recommend the skylite - really brightens the car.

A year away from a grand slam
By toolsboy on 06/24/13 16:27 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car exceeds expectations in almost every way. I live in Los Angeles, which presents perfect driving conditions for hybrid owners (the only benefit of LA's traffic). In my last two "trips", I got 42.5 mpg (on a 300 mile trip) and 45 mpg (most current). The handling is fantastic and the car, especially compared to other hybrids, has guts and great handling. The visibility/sight lines, as other reviewers have pointed out, are incredible. Even though I am over 6'3", I still have several inches of head room, the seat is relatively high (car is easy to get in/out of). There plenty of room for three adults in the second row. MyFord Touch is great after a period of acclimation.

Retired Boomer
By hookshot1 on 06/24/13 07:14 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Researched long and hard, test drove Prius V, Mazda CX-5, and C-Max to replace '03 Highlander (great car by the way).Liked the room behind the second row in the V and CX-5 and the driveability of the CX-5. Liked the mileage (knew it didn't get 47/47/47), acceleration, handling, quietness, and accommodations in the C-Max. I have put about 1500 miles on the car so far and am getting about 43 mpg overall. Having fun playing the hybrid game! Much of my driving is in town or two lane rural highway. The mileage does suffer if you go over 65 mph. Diesel is probably the way to go if you want great interstate mileage.

Cmax tricks prius owner
By drkatt on 06/21/13 08:36 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I haved owned 2 priuses and wanted to try something new and the 47/47 on the sticker was close to what I was getting on the prius. After buying am only getting 37 mpg. Would give the car pluses on design, is fun to drive and comfortable but the 47/47 is a lie..not happening and the prius never failed to get near that. Oh well..lesson learned.

Satisfied Customer
By woorick on 06/13/13 17:42 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Driven car 5,000 miles in three months. Gas mileage averages 42 mpg; 44 mpg on local streets & highways in hilly northeast OH; and 38 mpg on interstates at 70-75 mph. Similar mileage in Adirondack Mountains of NY. Compared C-Max with Prius V when making purchase. Prius has more cargo space, but otherwise can't compare. C-Max design, gas mileage, driving comfort, fit & finish, noise levels, enjoyability, sight expanse are all superior. Pick-up entering traffic is excellent. MyFord Sync is finicky, but learnable. Entertainment, climate use are excellent. Phone sync is poor with many mistaken dialing command responses. Navigation is a disaster with inability to find many destinations.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon in VA is:

$130 per month*