2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Max Hybrid model:
Best vehicle ever!
By glhouk on 11/18/13 14:38 PM (PST)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had the C-Max for 2 and 1/2 months and 4,500 miles. This is the vehicle I have been looking for for more than 10 years. It has the large enough interior, high seating position, high roof line, ease of entry, and good handling and mileage of a very small car. It is a pleasure to drive and I am getting 38 to 45 mpg depending on wind direction and my speed. I have achieved over 50 on a few occasions but average in the lower 40's. At 65 to 70, it is around 38 to 40. The power train is so smooth, and on the interstate going 65+ and needing to pass, I was shocked at how quickly it zoomed up to 80! I am averaging 10 mpg more than my good mileage Pontiac G6.

Extremely poor reliability, failed after 2 month
By angry_custom1 on 11/06/13 17:43 PM (PST)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The engine had crazy noise, dealer said it is normal. The door chime is not there, now after 7 weeks, the transmission failed. Ford not only lied about the mpg, they did not even test it, they just decide to put a number there, but they have the audacity to insult Hyundai when NHTSA fined Hyundai, yet [non-permissible content removed] government did not even investigate Ford's lie. Asked Ford ex-employee, told Ford demand the orginal transmission maker to reveal their trade secret to Ford and Visteon, then both companies compete for Ford's business, of course original supplier was angry, possibly provided low-quality parts to Ford. Ford should just go out of business!

Why Such A Poor Rating from CR?
By htw on 10/29/13 08:42 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I hate the design of the wheels. Ford could better on the wheel choice and replace the bar grill with something more sporty. But...... Ford needs to change the bolt pattern to match the Mustang. I think the car is great; I love the seats, and the sitting position. I want these seat in my 2012 Focus. My C-mac is used in business - sometimes 100 miles per day, bought in Sept 12, it has 24K miles on it. Daily mileage is 43-45. Road trip - milesage under 60 is 44 mpg; over 65 38 mpg. The location of the air filter sucks - it took 41 minutes to change it and I had to remove that large piece of plastic. If you don't know cars, you have to take it to the dealer.

Excellent choice
By sherio on 10/06/13 06:44 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got my C-Max a couple of months ago. I absolutely LOVE it. It is fun to drive, zippy when you need it, fantastic gas milage. I get 44 mpg routinely with the AC on and that is exactly what my 2004 Civic Hybrid got (also a great car). But I tend to have a lead foot with take offs. My husband can get milage in the high 50-mid 60s around town and 47 on the highway. Because I could not stand to let him win, I smoothed out my quick starts and also get 46mpgs. The car is comfortable to drive and ride as a passenger. Plenty of space for passengers in the back or to haul around stuff. It is really a great car.

Love my 2013 C Max
By ctylane on 10/04/13 06:56 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Just purchased my C Max from Chaparral Ford in Devine TX. Have been thinking about replacing my 2005 Ford Five Hundred with 148,000 miles. I also have a 2013 Taurus Limited, so wanted a run around car. When I got the car it had about 150 or so miles on it. The dealer filled it up and I drove almost 500 miles. On the first fill-up I got 41.3 MPG. I was satisfied with that. Then I came on here and read some of the mileage figures and was surprised to see some of the low figures. I began to wonder in my mind. However on this my first fill-up I am getting between 46 and 47 with it reading 46.7 right now. I am leaving next week for Maryland, a 1800 miles trip. Will report when I return

Love my Maxie!
By bevt on 09/20/13 10:20 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had my car for 2 1/2 months, have about 2500 miles, live in hilly urban area (Bay Area east of the big hills), and so far (and it's not hit its maximum efficiency yet) my Lifetime average is 43.4 mpg. Yesterday, I drove about 10 miles along the hilly streets and got 53 mpg average on that trip. I've driven along the coast for 4 hours and got 55 mpg. Sometimes I got up to 60. Nice, nice! But it all depends on how you drive it. I have a lead foot, so I've had to retrain myself to drive more peacefully. Once you get the hang of how to drive it, the C-Max does beautifully, switching to gas mode when the battery is low or if you are going up hills, going back to EV mode seamlessly.

Loving my C-Max
By cmaxdriver on 09/13/13 18:53 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

1250 miles on my C-Max SEL (not Energi) and I just filled up the second time, so that works out to 600+ per tank. So far love it. Driving mixed between city & highway.

2013 Ford C-MAX SE...Too soon to pass Judgement
By phill1 on 09/03/13 12:56 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Traded in my 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback 7/31 and with just over a month of driving and less then 1000 miles, I`m only averaging 34 mpg City & Highway. I`m careful (not) to accelerate quickly and coast when possible and avoid lots of unnecessary braking still can`t get over 34 mpg. The Vehicle is very comfortable, peppy, and if I can eventually improve on the Fuel Economy numbers, I`ll be very happy. Got spoiled with the smaller fuel sipping Fiesta which (always) delivered 33-35 mpg city and 41-43 mpg highway from day one.

Truth about the Mileage Debate
By saw67 on 08/26/13 07:18 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

First, after 6 months of driving my C-Max, I can safely say that it's one of the best cars I've owned, in quality, fuel efficiency, and features. Ride is smooth, and there's power when you want and need it. People used to driving Prius and other brand hybrids WILL NEED TO ADAPT, because the C-Max behaves very differently, and makes different choices than other hybrids. Once we learned how to drive it, we're averaging 37-45mpg, which is actually higher than we expected (nobody expects to actually make the "published mileage" because we don't drive in computer controlled conditions. Turn off the climate control, open the windows, and we get over 50mpg! Ignore the naysayers!

Tall, Muscular, over 45 and steadily climbing
By pcarvs on 08/23/13 14:34 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought the car in mid-July before the software update was available and for the first 2 weeks I averaged 40 mpg. In order to achieve this fuel efficiency, I simply followed the information and tips in the owner’s manual (see page 186), but these tips are also readily available online. After the software update and continued breaking in of the engine, my gas mileage improved and I am now averaging over 45 mpg! Since I am a school teacher and just now starting to commute every weekday, this was part of the reason for the increase, but I still anticipate the fuel efficiency to climb as I log more highway miles after Labor Day, and commuting mpg is regularly over 50 MPG. My record is 64 MPG!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid in VA is:

$130 per month*