2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Max Hybrid model:
Love my 2013 C Max
By ctylane on 10/04/13 06:56 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Just purchased my C Max from Chaparral Ford in Devine TX. Have been thinking about replacing my 2005 Ford Five Hundred with 148,000 miles. I also have a 2013 Taurus Limited, so wanted a run around car. When I got the car it had about 150 or so miles on it. The dealer filled it up and I drove almost 500 miles. On the first fill-up I got 41.3 MPG. I was satisfied with that. Then I came on here and read some of the mileage figures and was surprised to see some of the low figures. I began to wonder in my mind. However on this my first fill-up I am getting between 46 and 47 with it reading 46.7 right now. I am leaving next week for Maryland, a 1800 miles trip. Will report when I return

Love my Maxie!
By bevt on 09/20/13 10:20 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had my car for 2 1/2 months, have about 2500 miles, live in hilly urban area (Bay Area east of the big hills), and so far (and it's not hit its maximum efficiency yet) my Lifetime average is 43.4 mpg. Yesterday, I drove about 10 miles along the hilly streets and got 53 mpg average on that trip. I've driven along the coast for 4 hours and got 55 mpg. Sometimes I got up to 60. Nice, nice! But it all depends on how you drive it. I have a lead foot, so I've had to retrain myself to drive more peacefully. Once you get the hang of how to drive it, the C-Max does beautifully, switching to gas mode when the battery is low or if you are going up hills, going back to EV mode seamlessly.

Loving my C-Max
By cmaxdriver on 09/13/13 18:53 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

1250 miles on my C-Max SEL (not Energi) and I just filled up the second time, so that works out to 600+ per tank. So far love it. Driving mixed between city & highway.

2013 Ford C-MAX SE...Too soon to pass Judgement
By phill1 on 09/03/13 12:56 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Traded in my 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback 7/31 and with just over a month of driving and less then 1000 miles, I`m only averaging 34 mpg City & Highway. I`m careful (not) to accelerate quickly and coast when possible and avoid lots of unnecessary braking still can`t get over 34 mpg. The Vehicle is very comfortable, peppy, and if I can eventually improve on the Fuel Economy numbers, I`ll be very happy. Got spoiled with the smaller fuel sipping Fiesta which (always) delivered 33-35 mpg city and 41-43 mpg highway from day one.

Truth about the Mileage Debate
By saw67 on 08/26/13 07:18 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

First, after 6 months of driving my C-Max, I can safely say that it's one of the best cars I've owned, in quality, fuel efficiency, and features. Ride is smooth, and there's power when you want and need it. People used to driving Prius and other brand hybrids WILL NEED TO ADAPT, because the C-Max behaves very differently, and makes different choices than other hybrids. Once we learned how to drive it, we're averaging 37-45mpg, which is actually higher than we expected (nobody expects to actually make the "published mileage" because we don't drive in computer controlled conditions. Turn off the climate control, open the windows, and we get over 50mpg! Ignore the naysayers!

Tall, Muscular, over 45 and steadily climbing
By pcarvs on 08/23/13 14:34 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought the car in mid-July before the software update was available and for the first 2 weeks I averaged 40 mpg. In order to achieve this fuel efficiency, I simply followed the information and tips in the owner’s manual (see page 186), but these tips are also readily available online. After the software update and continued breaking in of the engine, my gas mileage improved and I am now averaging over 45 mpg! Since I am a school teacher and just now starting to commute every weekday, this was part of the reason for the increase, but I still anticipate the fuel efficiency to climb as I log more highway miles after Labor Day, and commuting mpg is regularly over 50 MPG. My record is 64 MPG!

Review to put an end to all the Gripes
By jbhowlesr on 08/07/13 11:51 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After reading these reviews, i thought i would post my experience with the C-Max SE. A few weeks ago, my wife and purchased TWO C-max Hybrids SE's and our different driving styles render different MPG. All of our driving is on flat roads, rangeing from residential to rural highway. My particula driving style is slow and easy and I am doing my best to learn to drive the C-Max for ECO purposes. My wife is 14 years younger than me and drive differently. Me personally, i refuse to use the A/C unless i need to and she has to because we have an infant. I'm getting 45.8 MPG, She gets 39.2 MPG.

Review for Base Model
By lmg911 on 08/05/13 06:08 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Before I purchased my C-Max I read the online reviews. I continue to do this and am surprised that most posters complain that they don't get the 'advertised' mileage. Well I felt compelled to write. This car teaches you how to change your driving habits to actually get the 47mpg . If you pay enough attention to it and learn to use the gauges (complicated) you will get the 47mpg. In my case , I've become obsessive and actually get better mileage. Actual mileage also depends on the terrain where you live. Hill country gets less then the flats of the mid-west. But I live in New England so .... Also , if you use the heat/ac it will cost you 1 mpg. Extremely happy with my purchase. !!!

TRADED IN FOR A PRIUS AFTER 10 MONTHS
By tradedcmax on 08/03/13 02:36 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After only 10 months, I traded it in for a Prius. Why? The NHTSA recall for the interior crash protection problem was the final straw. The fact I never got more than 37mpg, the fact that the multiple build quality issues were never fully resolved, and the fact that the dealer kept denying problems were all reasons I did this. And trading this in didn't come cheaply - took a $4000 hit on the trade. The dealer was quick to point out the recall. I loved driving the car. The only driving complaint was the turning radius seemed large for the size car. That is after you get used to the constant noises. Strut plate, creaking frame, etc. Very annoying.

electronic problems
By opallongtail on 07/30/13 16:02 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After less than 3000 miles we had problems with the "entertainment system" and the air conditioning. The repairs took 10 days, the AC compressor had to be replaced. Took it in for servicing after 5000 miles, including 2 recalls it had. After 500 more miles we had electronic problems again. The external sensors died, the entertainment went out again. The AC made more noise than usual. We are thinking we have bought a lemon! We like the way it drives and are satisfied with 40 mpg, and the comfort is good, but we can't trust it. We may have to use the "lemon law". It's back in the shop today.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid in VA is:

$106 per month*