Used 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific C-Max Hybrid model:

I'm Loving It!
By uncflea

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have owned it now for a couple of months and have driven close to 4,000 miles have averaged 46 MPG. My best was 61.& MPG on a 14 mile trip where I didn't get stopped by any stop lights. Used only 1 tank of gas one 2 and 1/2 week period while driving everywhere I needed and wanted to go, I didn't hold back, and I live 17 miles from town.

Favorite Features

Of course the MPG is what I love most, closely followed by the hands free devices that make it so much safer than doing everything by hand and taking my eyes off the road.

Suggested Improvements

Have not driven in snow, so I have no suggestions.

I want to love my car, but it's making it extremely difficult
By mumblyjoe

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought a certified pre-owned 2013 Energi model about a month ago. The fuel efficiency, the sound system, comforts and all around handiness or the package are great. I didn't really want the power lift gate but even that's proved handy, now that it works. In the month that I've had this vehicle It's been in for service 3 times for the lift gate refusing to latch. Now that that's resolved it won't start properly. Half the time it'll say its ready to drive but won't move. The other half it'll move but won't unlock the steering. Worst of all, now it periodically acts like the battery's dead even though it's been charging all night and displays full battery after I jump it.

Favorite Features

The leather and interior on the SEL model are awesome. I absolutely love the Sony sound system. Ms Sync voice activated features are great too. I really enjoy being able to make a call to work or order pizza on the way home without ever looking away from the road.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability is a huge huge issue with this car. My last vehicle was a 2007 Chevy cobalt built at the height of the GM recall scandal years. I had 4 recalls on it in 8 years. It had manual everything and was about 10K new. I miss its reliability. Only a month into owning this vehicle and I"m having to go through the painful process of a lemon law return.

2.5 years in, still love the car.
By hotpotato

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Who goes in to the dealer looking for a VW GTI or Ford Focus ST and leaves with a hybrid!? This guy. The C-Max is like half a dozen cars all in one. It does 0-60 in less than 8 seconds, and has the quiet, solid handling of a Euro luxury car. It swallows cargo like a small van, with rear seats that fold flat at the pull of a lever, and the driver has a nice elevated seating position for a good view of the road. Yet it gets fuel economy of a tiny, tinny subcompact. Indeed, it's the best of all worlds.

Favorite Features

Strong electric torque. Precise steering. Dual-zone automatic climate control with lap vents: no temperature arguments. Fishbowl-like visibility in every direction. Airy cabin with ample headroom and tall seating position. Good MPG for a car that's so roomy and rewarding to drive. It's fun to use Empower mode to how the car is combining gas and electric power. The muted jetlike whoosh of the electric motor sounds futuristic and fun. Sync lets you control many functions with your voice, but it's not "natural" language. For that, pair your iPhone, press its Home button, and you're talking to Siri through your car -- get a dash mount and she'll handle your navigation, music etc.

Suggested Improvements

Make the optional Sony stereo standard - the base model's standard stereo has lots of features but the controls are unintuitive and the sound is meh. Affix the outside window trim panels better--they creak in turns. Seal the engine compartment better -- leaves get in there, and fall inside the fender where they can't be pulled out. If they're wet, rust could conceivably result. Fix the turning radius -- this is a short car, it shouldn't have the turning radius of a monster truck. Ensure all owners get customer service action 15B04 performed - this should hopefully fix the occasional no-start problem that some owners (mostly early-build first-year base models) have had.

C-MAX Go
By cmaxgo

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

fast,quick,quiet,smooth ... got it up to 110 on open road , smooth as silk. fun to drive, drove a GMC Yukon for years and prefer the C-max any day. Good vision, easy to pass. In town, can't beat it. Avg 44-50 mpg in town. 36-39 highway depending on how much fun I want to have. Plenty of headroom, leg-room. My teenager is about to drive and has been eyeballing the C-Max, don't think I want to let it go. so far, best car i've ever owned.

Favorite Features

Got all the features, everything works as advertised. Hands free is awesome, and a lot less dangerous for me.

Suggested Improvements

None

NO START DEAD Battery
By daydreme

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It is a cute car and comfortable if a single passenger is the primary occupant maybe 1 child anymore and it's very tight - it's not very well designed for a female. no where near enough compartments for all the items we need to carry for our children so everyday needs just ends loose all the back seat. I like how Toyota and Honda has little closed compartments on the dash.

Favorite Features

Hidden floor compartment and large front and back windshield / windows

Suggested Improvements

Here is a amazing concept - how about a car that will start or an actual functioning battery especially on rain or colder days would be great. I purchased June 2013 from the start the car has been in and out of service before I even had he T-tags off the car. I would like to go to work on time and not have to take the Crap-max in for service 6-7 times to repair the exact same issue. However, to be fair the dead battery issue sure does save gas..... what a neat trick- good job Ford marketing sure did sucker me!! I will be filing Lemon Law suit under Delaware State Law