2014 Ford C-Max Energi Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ford C-max-energi - Consumer Reviews

2014 Ford C-Max Energi

SEL 2.0L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (3 reviews )

An SUV Lover's Hybrid-Plugin
By redcmax

2014 Ford C-Max Energi SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I. Love. It. Bought 1 yr ago. Waited to post review 'til had driven through MA winter & had a yrs cost data. Total cost for year: $0.06/mile (SUV = $0.19/mile). Overall mpg = 97 mpg (SUV = 18 mpg). Costs $0.96/night to charge, using reg 110V plug in garage. For full yr, spent $283 on 8 tanks of gas + 365 days x $0.96/night electricity = $633. Went 10,321 miles. Maintenance was once at 10K miles, cost $0. Did amazingly well in winter w stock tires; heavy weight + low center of gravity help a lot. Only garaged on the 2-feet-of-snow days. ADMISSION: I learned how to drive a hybrid and am as diligent as possible about it. Feels weird at 1st but now normal. Makes big diff!

Favorite Features

Besides the 96mpg?!?! Sporty, fast, handles like an SUV. Way "beefier"/substantial in feel, and responsive to drive, than a Prius. Great creature features. SYNCH system works perfectly. Excellent sound system. Only in for oil change every 10K miles since ICE is used so much less. Gorgeous, rich red color. Got a $1500 check rebate from state of MA 2 wks after I bought it; and a $4001 tax CREDIT on my tax return this April. Those more than covered the extra cost of the Energi right out of the gate. Also have gotten parking several times at airport in garages full/closed but there were EV spaces open.

Suggested Improvements

A couple days in the year, I've wished for more storage space, but I'll trade that for 96 mpg any day. Blind spots with the front struts (same as my SUV had) but I'm used to them now and know to look around more. A little bigger visor mirror would be nice :-).

Fun to drive with fantastic mileage
By cheryl2229

2014 Ford C-Max Energi SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had my new 2014 CMax Energi for 1 month and I'm loving it. I haven't been to the gas station yet. I'm averaging 102 MPG with a +/- 20 mile daily commute and 2 100 mile trips over Christmas. The few days I've used the heat do make me wonder how much efficiency will drop with a/c use come summer. It has so much power and handling ability, you will forget you are being green!

Favorite Features

I like sitting up higher, I had been in a little, lower car for a long long time. Interior is very comfortable and pretty easy to learn all of the features.

2014 Energi, What a Techno Marvel: Welcome to 2020
By miboje

2014 Ford C-Max Energi SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is our first hybrid car. I wish we hadn't waited so long. The car just makes perfect sense, and what a way to say "screw Big Oil!" We've only had the car about two weeks, and we are already very impressed. Ford did a great job with it. My fiancee drives it to work everyday, about 42 miles round trip. Our terrain is rural back roads, open highway and a bit hilly--great for mild hypermiling. He gets to work in all EV mode and regens a couple miles, and a few miles back toward home before entering hybrid mode. If he could plug in at work, we would rarely ever have to get gas. As it is, I expect we will need to get gas once a month. Wow.. This seems crazy! Very happy overall!

Favorite Features

Advanced technology, voice command, fuel economy, comfort, cool factor, amenities, attractive interior

Suggested Improvements

Memory seats, stronger low beam headlights, not sure the hard plastics in interior will be durable over time, double battery capacity would be perfect for us (that is only a matter of time).