Used 2014 Ford C-Max Energi Consumer Reviews - 5 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ford C-Max Energi - Consumer Reviews

2014 Ford C-Max Energi

SEL 2.0L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (5 reviews )

Loved this car until one day...
By J. Chamberlain

2014 Ford C-Max Energi SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Overall, this was a fun car to drive and own. I really enjoyed driving past the gas stations! Stylish and modern for an SUV.

The fun ended after 11 months of owning the car. Finding parts to repair damage to the charge port = 6 weeks in the shop. Estimate for finding parts to repair passenger doors due to damage while parked at the mall 4 weeks. The transmission began slipping and things went downhill from there. Three trips to the dealer (must be a specific, qualified dealer by the way) and still no resolution. The dealer has been really nice through this but the transmission module does not exist anywhere in the world, apparently. It's been waiting on the transmission unit for 59 days (I chose to wait, hoping to get my car back fixed). The last 18 days a mystery unit has been "in transit" but did not appear at the dealer as promised 10 days ago and I have not been successful getting the dealer or the regional Ford CSM to locate it. Ford is currently working with me to resolve my situation and get me into another vehicle.

It was a fun car, I felt really good driving something green that I actually liked. Loved the "Go Times" where I could program the car to have the interior at a certain temp by a certain time of the day. So on icy cold mornings hubby went to defrost his Prius while my C-Max purred silently melting the mess from mine. Obviously this feature hits your MPG rate pretty hard.

It addressed my wish for a green SUV. I routinely saw 58-60 MPG electric/gas combined for my commute. The first 21 - 26 miles were electric. My weekend errands were 100% electric. :) In the winter, however, between driving conditions and the Go times I saw it drop to 38-40 MPG.

It did lack some space due to the batteries and not having a spare felt almost "naked". Maybe redesign the hatch to be a door and mount the spare there? The electronics were annoying, even for a technology professional such as myself, and almost pointless. MyFord could do more to inform you. For instance, I ran the Vehicle Health Report because the engine light came on. It informed me to check the dash for a check engine icon... Wow, how helpful! Switching lanes on the highway was a bit rough but for the most part the ride was comfortable, next to no interior noise. The car rides low which was an issue for snow storms and mud season on my dirt road. It could use a little more height. But, it was easy to get into and out of front and back seats.
Lumbar support was a nice feature that I appreciated. Ambient lighting was a nice touch that allowed me to customize the lighting to my mood. Love not having a gas cap. Having a charging outlet that is always on should be standard on all vehicles, not just this one!
I hope Ford works the kinks out of this car and add a 4 wheel drive option. There is a market for fuel efficient SUVs, despite with some automakers believe. Making it 4 wheel as opposed to all wheel will give the driver the option of when they want to come out of fuel efficiency to improve driving. I was forced to shovel to the ground after every storm as snow tires and Low gear do not improve grip at all. I got stuck in my own driveway a couple times which was embarrassing to call for a tow truck to help get me out.

Diesel to Electric
By John K

2014 Ford C-Max Energi SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love this car! I looked at other Hybrids (foreign and domestic), but when I drove this.... it was the one. Drives great, very quiet, smooth, roomy, and lots of head room. I have had it for almost 6 months and rarely buy gas. We installed a 220 charger about a month after the purchase and very glad I did. Charging time went from about 6 hours to 2 hours. If you go on trips around 20 miles, you may never buy gas again. I wanted something comfortable on the highway. This fits the bill. We have a Lincoln MKT as well, and this seems just as quiet and comfortable but uses much less gas. Just went on a 500 mile road trip and averaged about 40 mpg. Around town I have got as much as 175 MPG on a tank of gas. I went from a sporty Diesel and wasn't sure if it would feel as great to drive. It may not be as sporty, but it is great to drive. I hope Ford keeps making this so I can buy another in 4 years. Maybe buy then they can increase the cargo space some, but with 2 people on a road trip, we can always use the back seat.

An SUV Lover's Hybrid-Plugin
By redcmax

2014 Ford C-Max Energi SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I. Love. It. Bought 1 yr ago. Waited to post review 'til had driven through MA winter & had a yrs cost data. Total cost for year: $0.06/mile (SUV = $0.19/mile). Overall mpg = 97 mpg (SUV = 18 mpg). Costs $0.96/night to charge, using reg 110V plug in garage. For full yr, spent $283 on 8 tanks of gas + 365 days x $0.96/night electricity = $633. Went 10,321 miles. Maintenance was once at 10K miles, cost $0. Did amazingly well in winter w stock tires; heavy weight + low center of gravity help a lot. Only garaged on the 2-feet-of-snow days. ADMISSION: I learned how to drive a hybrid and am as diligent as possible about it. Feels weird at 1st but now normal. Makes big diff!

Besides the 96mpg?!?! Sporty, fast, handles like an SUV. Way "beefier"/substantial in feel, and responsive to drive, than a Prius. Great creature features. SYNCH system works perfectly. Excellent sound system. Only in for oil change every 10K miles since ICE is used so much less. Gorgeous, rich red color. Got a $1500 check rebate from state of MA 2 wks after I bought it; and a $4001 tax CREDIT on my tax return this April. Those more than covered the extra cost of the Energi right out of the gate. Also have gotten parking several times at airport in garages full/closed but there were EV spaces open.

A couple days in the year, I've wished for more storage space, but I'll trade that for 96 mpg any day. Blind spots with the front struts (same as my SUV had) but I'm used to them now and know to look around more. A little bigger visor mirror would be nice :-).

Fun to drive with fantastic mileage
By cheryl2229

2014 Ford C-Max Energi SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had my new 2014 CMax Energi for 1 month and I'm loving it. I haven't been to the gas station yet. I'm averaging 102 MPG with a +/- 20 mile daily commute and 2 100 mile trips over Christmas. The few days I've used the heat do make me wonder how much efficiency will drop with a/c use come summer.
It has so much power and handling ability, you will forget you are being green!

I like sitting up higher, I had been in a little, lower car for a long long time. Interior is very comfortable and pretty easy to learn all of the features.

2014 Energi, What a Techno Marvel: Welcome to 2020
By miboje

2014 Ford C-Max Energi SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is our first hybrid car. I wish we hadn't waited so long. The car just makes perfect sense, and what a way to say "screw Big Oil!"
We've only had the car about two weeks, and we are already very impressed. Ford did a great job with it. My fiancee drives it to work everyday, about 42 miles round trip. Our terrain is rural back roads, open highway and a bit hilly--great for mild hypermiling. He gets to work in all EV mode and regens a couple miles, and a few miles back toward home before entering hybrid mode. If he could plug in at work, we would rarely ever have to get gas. As it is, I expect we will need to get gas once a month. Wow.. This seems crazy! Very happy overall!