Good drivetrain but electronics ruined it
By familycarbuyer on
2013 Ford C-Max Energi SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
Bought this car 2 months ago and have been driving it to and from work mostly. The concept is very good -- i.e. a plugin hatchback. The car handles fairly well and the motors do what they are supposed to do. The electronics are not there yet, however. Specifically, the charging software, the navigation and the voice recognition are all downright horrible and have really ruined the experience for me.
Favorite Features
Plugging in in many places is easy to do. At work, I get a free charging station with premier parking. Car has better pickup than other hybrids. Foot-activated rear hatch is a terrific feature.
Suggested Improvements
Every time I start my car, it asks "is the vehicle plugged in?" If I then accidentally answer yes when it is not, it can't start and I have to sit idle for 2-3 minutes before I can reset and answer the question correctly. This has happened on numerous occasions. It is outrageous that the car does not know whether or not it is plugged in!! The navigation system is very bad, very slow and just the worst of any major car manufacturer. I'm using google maps on my iPhone instead. Advertised electric range at 20+ miles has consistently been 9-11 miles only. This might be due to cold temperature but getting only this little while giving up essentially all trunk space is not worthwhile
By olidx
on 04/24/14 11:31 AM (PDT)

Hi Familycarbuyer, First, I would go back to a reputable, electric qualified Ford dealer to resolve this problem that the car does not tell whether the cord is plugged in or not. I have this car for 18 months and it did not happen once to me thus far. I would have to think this is not a normal condition. In the instruction manual, it also specified that the wall plug of the charger needs to be plugged in first, then you need to plug the car in, and do the reverse for the unplug. I make sure to follow this guideline. Second, I would guess you use the heater a lot, such that the electric only range is reduced significantly. I also suspect that you may be driving on highway, such that the speed is above 55mph. There is a gauge that shows how much power the accessories are using. The heater can use 7kW when it warms up the car, that is as much power are the electric engine propelling the car on the highway. The car has a cabin conditioning feature when it is plug in to a level 2 charger where you can bring it to temperature before you leave. If you use it you will dramatically increase you electric range only when you drive. Also, try to charge your battery such that is ends the charge shortly before you drive the car so the battery will be at working temperature and will not consume power when you drive. If you do this, I am certain you will get close to the rated range. The car has a program that allows you to setup charging times on the car itself, a web browser or the FordMobile on Apple and Android devices. I agree that is takes some used to to switch from a gasoline car to a plug-in hybrid, but it took learning for everyone to drive their first car. I for one would not go back to conventional cars after experience electric driving for the comfort, fuel economy and environmental impact. Be patient, I am sure that if you take a little time to learn about the car, it will grow on you! Happy driving!