Used 2013 Ford C-Max Energi Wagon Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford C-Max Energi Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2013 Ford C-Max Energi Wagon

SEL 2.0L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (25 reviews )

Fast, economical and practical
By Gregg Johnson

2013 Ford C-Max Energi Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Hey its not the sexiest car on the road but it is roomy, quiet, comfortable and simply awesome for MPGe. In 21,000 miles I have used about $45 in gasoline. I have a level 2 charger so life is easier. I also do not have a long commute and most of my driving is within the electric only range of about 30 miles. My only complaint is the reduced cargo capacity due to the batteries. IMHO I believe FORD needs to:

1. Up the battery size to provide 100 miles + electric range.
2. Up the size of the onboard charger to speed charging of a larger battery
3. integrate the battery better so as to not take so much cargo room. I am OK if this reduces the gasoline tank size.

These changes would take the C-Max Energi from a great car to a world-class leader in my books.

After a year in the shop indefinitely
By komondor4

2013 Ford C-Max Energi Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had my CMAX for just about a year and 14K miles. But now it is at the dealership waiting a for a high voltage controller that is backordered with NO estimated time to be available. I have a crummy base model Ford Focus instead of my loaded CMAX. I just hope it goes past 30 days as on the 31st day I will be filing a lemon law claim. The car is great but not if they can't get parts and Ford will not give you something decent for a loaner or call you back.

Wipers, power mileage.

have parts available.

Ford does not solve the many problems this car has.
By nymphfisher

2013 Ford C-Max Energi Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Ford "Sync" feature does not work properly. The voice recognition feature does not understand anyone I know. Ford is aware of the problem and has installed several software updates, it still does not work. This makes the GPS feature useless. If GM "On-Star" is a "10", I would rate the Ford Sync a 1. It is very frustrating to try to use.
The car has just stopped running on two occasions and required towing back to dealer. I was told there was a "computer glitch".
The car has NO SPARE TIRE!!!!! No jack or lug wrench. They put a can of "fix a flat" under the seat and if that doesn't work, you will need to be towed!!! How stupid is that????

The car is very comfortable, well designed and would be a great car to have if not for the problems listed above.

Fix the problems and provide a spare tire.

2013 C-Max Energi SEL with all the goodies.
By dathomir

2013 Ford C-Max Energi Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased last month (May), one of the last 2013's on the dealers lot and purchased for well below invoice and 0% for 72.

Originally was going to purchase a Focus Electric, but with range anxiety and needing more room, the C-Max Energi was the smarter choice.
Even with a battery pack in the trunk, can fit a stroller out back, will swallow groceries with ease, and with the rear seats down, a wheelchair will fit.

Car sees 80% city driving and 20% freeway, achieving 120 mpge (EV mode) and 53 mpg (hybrid mode).
On a 120v charge, range is 26 miles and haven't been to the gas station in over a month!

Made the right choice with this car, love it!

1.) Feels like a luxury car and yet handles great. 2.) Perfectly weighted steering. 3.) For being a plug-in hybrid, not a boring car to drive like a Prius, has lots of go.

1.) HIDs and LEDs. 2.) Fixed panoramic roof should be able to open. 3.) Lightweight wheel option or package.

CMax Energi 156,000 miles
By middleof

2013 Ford C-Max Energi Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Update May 2016: So almost 3- years of ownership and well over 150K miles. Car has never been in the shop except to replace the 12V "starting battery" for $140. All I have done to this car is rotate tires and change fluids. Typically 15,000-18,000 miles between oil changes. I am getting a little wind noise from one of the rear doors, I think it's the seal. Other than that the car has been flawless.

Original post: I purchased my Energi in August 2013.
So far the car has been flawless other than some bugs in the "Sync" system that have been fixed by a software update.
I typically drive 200 miles per day on Southern California freeways commuting to various construction sites.
I often drive into Los Angeles, the deserts and mountains for work.
This car is very comfortable at freeway speeds, where I drive with the flow of traffic, often 80 mph.
At the speeds I drive and distances between charges, I am very happy with my 42+ mpg.
I am by no means a hyper-miler, and I carry hundreds of pounds of gear in the car every day.