Used 2013 Ford C-Max Energi Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford C-max-energi - Consumer Reviews

2013 Ford C-Max Energi Wagon

SEL 2.0L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (23 reviews )

Ford does not solve the many problems this car has.
By nymphfisher

2013 Ford C-Max Energi Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Ford "Sync" feature does not work properly. The voice recognition feature does not understand anyone I know. Ford is aware of the problem and has installed several software updates, it still does not work. This makes the GPS feature useless. If GM "On-Star" is a "10", I would rate the Ford Sync a 1. It is very frustrating to try to use. The car has just stopped running on two occasions and required towing back to dealer. I was told there was a "computer glitch". The car has NO SPARE TIRE!!!!! No jack or lug wrench. They put a can of "fix a flat" under the seat and if that doesn't work, you will need to be towed!!! How stupid is that????

Favorite Features

The car is very comfortable, well designed and would be a great car to have if not for the problems listed above.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the problems and provide a spare tire.

2013 C-Max Energi SEL with all the goodies.
By dathomir

2013 Ford C-Max Energi Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased last month (May), one of the last 2013's on the dealers lot and purchased for well below invoice and 0% for 72. Originally was going to purchase a Focus Electric, but with range anxiety and needing more room, the C-Max Energi was the smarter choice. Even with a battery pack in the trunk, can fit a stroller out back, will swallow groceries with ease, and with the rear seats down, a wheelchair will fit. Car sees 80% city driving and 20% freeway, achieving 120 mpge (EV mode) and 53 mpg (hybrid mode). On a 120v charge, range is 26 miles and haven't been to the gas station in over a month! Made the right choice with this car, love it!

Favorite Features

1.) Feels like a luxury car and yet handles great. 2.) Perfectly weighted steering. 3.) For being a plug-in hybrid, not a boring car to drive like a Prius, has lots of go.

Suggested Improvements

1.) HIDs and LEDs. 2.) Fixed panoramic roof should be able to open. 3.) Lightweight wheel option or package.

9-Months and 42,000 miles on the CMAX Energi
By middleof

2013 Ford C-Max Energi Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased my Energi in August 2013. So far the car has been flawless other than some bugs in the "Sync" system that have been fixed by a software update. I typically drive 200 miles per day on Southern California freeways commuting to various construction sites. I often drive into Los Angeles, the deserts and mountains for work. This car is very comfortable at freeway speeds, where I drive with the flow of traffic, often 80 mph. At the speeds I drive and distances between charges, I am very happy with my 42+ mpg. I am by no means a hyper-miler, and I carry hundreds of pounds of gear in the car every day.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seating: I am a big guy and the upright seating position and comfortable seats make long drives a pleasure. HOV: I have saved hundreds of hours by being able to use HOV lanes while driving solo. IMO, having the green access sticker on the car has been worth the purchase price for driving here in SoCal.

Suggested Improvements

Make an Energi version of the Ford Escape. I drive on a lot of dirt roads at construction sites and have to be careful with the cmax. A vehicle with more ground clearance with Energi performance would be a real winner.

Not your typical daily commuter
By golfpilot

2013 Ford C-Max Energi Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I don't have a set drive to work. I travel all over the bay area with distances from 5 to 100 miles. I find myself often running a 25 mile loop ending with a steep uphill quarter mile grade with about 5% battery left. I live in Northern California where the weather is extremely mild and I use the air conditioner less than 5% of the time. The air conditioner sucks the battery up. I would not like this car if I needed it. My overall time spent with the car I am averaging 120mpg. My electricity is free. I also have a Volt. The volt is more efficient between 25 and 110 miles. I have found the C-max's ICE is a little more efficient.

Favorite Features

The backup features have saved me more than once. Hydrid mode is flawless to me. The Ford mobile ranking app!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Better ICE MPG. It does not get the advertised hwy mpg. I drive 55-60 and get 44 mpg. I am clasified as an extreme hypermiller. Currently 3rd in the western region rankings on ford mobile

Great car
By shbenton

2013 Ford C-Max Energi Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had my c-Max Energi for 8 months. I live in a town of about 200,000 and drive about 25 miles per day with occasional road trips 2-3 hours away. I live in the south, so I haven't had the recharging issue others report. I am getting 100 miles per gallon and using about $23 per month in electricity. It is roomy and comfortable, has great pick-up, and easy to park. I love it.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, comfort, pick-up.

Suggested Improvements

Computer electronics are okay, but could be improved.