Used 2013 Ford C-Max Energi Wagon Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford C-Max Energi Wagon - Consumer Reviews

SEL 2.0L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (27 reviews )

Beats a Prius
By darkcoupon

2013 Ford C-Max Energi Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We got this car for my wife and I've ended up driving it more than she does. This thing has surprisingly great acceleration for a hybrid, and it handles like a go-cart. It looks pretty boring on the outside so you get a lot of surprised looks when you pass people on the highway or jump off the line at a stoplight to get ahead. The ride is incredibly smooth, especially in EV mode, and the interior is as nice as anyone needs. We live about 10 miles from my wife's work and the EV battery lasts long enough to get her there and back without using a drop of gas. The biggest drawback is the complete lack of storage in the front seats. I don't know how you build a car after 2010 without a space to hold a phone, but there is literally no storage aside from the cup holders, door cubbies, or center console. The touch screen is also a long reach, which makes it difficult to use while driving, and the entertainment system is pretty slow. The navigation runs at about 5 frames per second and connecting a phone or changing audio sources can be cumbersome. When the engine kicks on it can be a little jarring, but it's smooth while driving, and highway mileage isn't great. It doesn't get the best mileage in it's class, but if you want more from a hybrid than just good gas mileage this one is for you.

Buyers remorse, 5 years left to pay.
By james

2013 Ford C-Max Energi Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

First off, this car gets great gas mileage, especially if you plug it in every night. It's comfortable, easy to get into and quiet. Problem is the sync system by microsoft. Big fail. it also has myFord touch, a system that you can see how you car is doing and program some of the features for the car using your cell phone. It does not even start to work. It was one of the reasons I wanted the car, because I thought it would be neat to program the charging times, see the charging, start the climate control before leaving home or work. It operates on the obsolete 2G cell system, that is currently being dismantled by At&t. because of this many of the advertised features of this car do NOT work. It also failes to sync with my phone properly. If you just looking for great gas mileage and do not care about the advertised technology available thru myford touch, then it's a good car. If you have any expectations that the info-entertainment system will do any thing other than play the radio, you will be highly frustrated and disappointed. This keeps me from loving the car, and makes me feel like Ford lied to me by saying these features worked. I'm going to drive it a couple of years, but this will be the last Ford or Microsoft product for me.

Fast, economical and practical
By Gregg Johnson

2013 Ford C-Max Energi Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Hey its not the sexiest car on the road but it is roomy, quiet, comfortable and simply awesome for MPGe. In 21,000 miles I have used about $45 in gasoline. I have a level 2 charger so life is easier. I also do not have a long commute and most of my driving is within the electric only range of about 30 miles. My only complaint is the reduced cargo capacity due to the batteries. IMHO I believe FORD needs to:

1. Up the battery size to provide 100 miles + electric range.
2. Up the size of the onboard charger to speed charging of a larger battery
3. integrate the battery better so as to not take so much cargo room. I am OK if this reduces the gasoline tank size.

These changes would take the C-Max Energi from a great car to a world-class leader in my books.

After a year in the shop indefinitely
By komondor4

2013 Ford C-Max Energi Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had my CMAX for just about a year and 14K miles. But now it is at the dealership waiting a for a high voltage controller that is backordered with NO estimated time to be available. I have a crummy base model Ford Focus instead of my loaded CMAX. I just hope it goes past 30 days as on the 31st day I will be filing a lemon law claim. The car is great but not if they can't get parts and Ford will not give you something decent for a loaner or call you back.

Wipers, power mileage.

have parts available.

Ford does not solve the many problems this car has.
By nymphfisher

2013 Ford C-Max Energi Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Ford "Sync" feature does not work properly. The voice recognition feature does not understand anyone I know. Ford is aware of the problem and has installed several software updates, it still does not work. This makes the GPS feature useless. If GM "On-Star" is a "10", I would rate the Ford Sync a 1. It is very frustrating to try to use.
The car has just stopped running on two occasions and required towing back to dealer. I was told there was a "computer glitch".
The car has NO SPARE TIRE!!!!! No jack or lug wrench. They put a can of "fix a flat" under the seat and if that doesn't work, you will need to be towed!!! How stupid is that????

The car is very comfortable, well designed and would be a great car to have if not for the problems listed above.

Fix the problems and provide a spare tire.