Used 1996 Ford Bronco SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Bronco SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Bronco model:

My Sweet Bronco
By broncobabe4u

1996 Ford Bronco SUV Eddie Bauer 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Bronco used at 2 years old. I traded down from a newer vehicle but my test drive sold it. Two weeks after I bought it, I had it at the Silver Lake Dunes and while many trucks were grunting and backing down not making it to the top, I had no problem walking right up. It's never given me any major problems in the 10 years I've owned it. I get compliments on a weekly basis and offers to sell. It will never happen. She's getting old but I will continue to drive it with pride until it dies or I do, whichever comes first. Never have I owned a vehicle this long and will never again. She's the best thing that's ever happened to me and at 200,000 and still going strong, why would I?

The body style is sweet and the interior is so comfortable and roomy. The overall strength of this vehicle is beyond expectations and Ford made a big mistake when they quit building them.

Fuel economy is not the best but if you want a tough but luxuious vehicle, you won't mind that.

They don't build them like this anymore!
By broncobustinman

1996 Ford Bronco SUV XLT 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Bronco from the dealer and paid $16500 for it fully loaded and has a 5.8L that has never given me trouble. Had about 40k on it, now 8 years later I am at 95k. I have spent the usual amount on the ususal things that go bad in time with any car or truck (i.e ball joints, radiator hose,exhuast pipe, brakes, shocks, front end bushings, battery, the original one lasted 7 years! All in all this truck has given me dependable transportaton where all new cars can't. I 'll drive it till the wheels fall off. I know it will last for me to give it to my son (he's now two). Keep them all original they are beautiful trucks just the way the Ford made them.

Signal in the mirrors, 5.8l motor, rear power window, removable top, lots of room for hauling stuff and going long trips. Perfect truck for hunting in the woods. Decent gas mileage for a big truck.

None, that's the way the truck was made, that's the way it needs to stay!

Best vehicle ever owned
By 1st Bronco

1996 Ford Bronco SUV XLT 2dr SUV 4WD

After always wanting a Bronco, I finally purchased one outright for $5,000. It had 140,000 miles on it. I've now owned it for one year and 3 months and the only maintenance I've done is an oil change. It is the best running vehicle I have ever owned, and I will never part with it. Gas mileage is awful, but the other benefits outweigh it tremendously. I drive down the road with my children and I feel safe. That alone is worth paying extra for gas. I love my Bronco.

With 33 inch mudders, my truck has a physical presence that turns heads everywhere. The body and design of this vehicle is downright intimidating, and I smile every time I look at it.

I would love for gas prices to decrease, but that's no fault of my truck. I do wish that I had a bit more horsepower, though. The truck feels heavy every time I hit the gas. Again, the good far outweighs the bad.

Best built Fords
By rich

1996 Ford Bronco SUV XLT 2dr SUV 4WD

This is the best built series of Ford I have encountered. I have driven every body style ford up until the 2004 F series. Rugged, reliable and great ride

Everything, except gas mileage!

Bring it back with a LD diesel option. Keep the removable top

Ford Bronco simply the best 4x4
By Ronnie Moses

1996 Ford Bronco SUV XLT 2dr SUV 4WD

The Ford Bronco was simply the Best all around, most versatile vehicle ever built by any manufacturer. It possessed the ability to go almost anywhere while retaining creature comforts only seen in sedans of its day. It is true that many "suv's" of its day may have ridden and handled better on the highway, however none from the factory could go offroad with it and ride and handle as well as it did on road. As for the mechanicals I can only speak for the 17 Broncos I have owned from 1988 to 1996, the worse problem I ever had was an o2 sensor. The only one I have left is my 1988 which has 275,000 miles on it and is still running great. I had 4 1996's all of which were sold with 150,000 miles+.

I am a big fan of the TTB suspension, if you know how to work it it is very good on and off road, the best compromise to solid axles ever built. although solid axles are the best and what little you give up on road is well worth it.

Its very hard to improve on perfection! However solid axles is the only thing I can think of.