Used 1996 Ford Bronco Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Bronco - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Bronco model:

Bring it back
By Ford Fanatic

1996 Ford Bronco XLT 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought our 1996 Bronco XLT in 2001 for $10000. It had 100000 miles on it. I thought was a little high for only 5 years old. But, boy was it worth it. We are now approaching 180000 with no repairs other than brakes, tires and other routine maint. It has been the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned. It has never failed me. Although I wanted the eddie baur at the time, I would never trade my XLT for one now.

4X4, 5.8 litre, electric rear window, wing windows, captain chairs.

Start building it again. I bought an Expedition and although the Expedition is nice(love the four doors and the gadgets). It's just not the same as my beloved Bronco.

One Tough Truck
By SJack

1996 Ford Bronco XL 2dr SUV 4WD

My Bronco was bought from an Auction with only 27,000 miles on it but being a Fed. Fish and Wildlife truck it had been horribly abused with a broken front axle as well at one time going for a swim in the Sacramento Delta. I now have 195,000 miles on it, of hard Nevada backcounty dirt road driving and its still going. Repairs have been minimal considering the abuse and has never not started or gotten me at least to a paved road without hesitation. I wish ford had never stopped building them because I know they would sell. For us who make our living in the back county there is no replacement.

Durability, Ease of maintenance, Short wheelbase, ability to leave rear window down while driving on sunny days, and enough cargo room to carry two weeks woth of supplies without having everything hanging off the outside of the truck.

Better door and window seals, Diesel Motor

I love my truck!
By SoxCrazy

1996 Ford Bronco XL 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my truck in 2007. I got it for $750!! The body is in fairly excellent shape. There are small spots at the tailgate window area, looks like someone slid something into the cargo area that took the paint off. Easily fixed. And the rear door needs some work before it will open. I have noticed that the underside is rusting out, I've had to replace all the metal brake lines. That is just living in VT. Once I get the rest of the undercarriage cleaned up I'll have it treated.The starter went and it sometimes has trouble starting after a rain. The ball joints are shot and the 4x4 may be next. Repairs now may be a little costly but I love the truck and I don't care. For what I paid, its ok

The ride is awesome. I love the cargo capacity. The power is unmatched (5.0, 302). I live in the mountains of VT so snowy driving is a given and she doesn't flinch. Love the automatic hubs and the standard tranny. The rear window is awesome for air flow instead of the A/C. Turning radius rocks.

Better MPG is always a good thing but has been said, you don't buy this truck for that. I can't think of anything else. Most of my trouble is previous ownership neglect. I just love the truck more than I can say. I will run it till it's dead and then revive it or replace it.

Love my Bronx
By Charles Hudgins Jr.

1996 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer 2dr SUV 4WD

I have had this truck for more than 10 years and the only thing I have done was change brakes and tires, oh and one lower ball joint. She starts and runs like no other. I guess I should change the oil more often though. I tell you we started at 45000 miles and are now at 218000 and still runs smooth and hard.

Everything

Build another one Ford tough

A geologist review of a full size Bronco
By sjack

1996 Ford Bronco XL 2dr SUV 4WD

Being a person who absolutley makes a living working out of his truck and driving off road daily I have found that the full size Bronco Is the perfect truck for some on in my buisness. Repairs have been minimal, the ride on the road is as good as anything on the road that is off road capable. And when it breaks the parts are avalable at any auto parts store. When you compair a bronco against a comperable Jeep. Jeeps have no room inside requiring everthing to be hung off the outside with worse mileage and without the durability. Infact to set Jeeps up for tough off-roading they put Bronco parts on them to make them work.

Short wheel base in a full size truck is what makes this veicle special with the ability to tow large trailers when the need comes up. With the 1996 model came fuel management which turns the mileage for a bronco from single digits to between 16 to 19 miles per gallon. This is in the range of a Jeep.

Start building new ones using the new f150 and people will come out of the woodwork to buy them. The only improvements I would make is a new pre- runner suspension and a diesel motor would make this truck an ultimate off- roader.